Nvidia reveals more RTX 3060 specs ahead of next week's release

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: With the launch of the RTX 3060 just over one week away, Nvidia has finally confirmed its card's specs on the company's website. The Ampere line's latest entry has an MSRP of $329, though many retailers have already pushed that price up by more than 75 percent for pre-orders.

Nvidia has been pretty tight-lipped about the RTX 3060's full specs since it was announced at CES in January. We heard earlier this week that the card would launch with an MSRP of $329 on February 25, though with no Founders Edition, don't expect many third-party models to stick to that price.

Now, Nvidia has updated its website with new RTX 3060 specs. Team Green had already revealed that the card would boast 12GB of GDDR6, more than the RTX 3060 Ti's 8GB, and a 192-bit bus—the Ti version has a 256-bit memory interface.

Nvidia has confirmed the RTX 3060's 3,584 GPU cores and base clock speed of 1,320 MHz (1,780 MHz boost). Compared to the 3060 Ti, that's fewer cores, a lower base but a higher boost. There was no word on RT or Tensor cores, though it's expected to feature 28 of the former and 112 of the latter.

Power-wise, the card has a 170W TDP, requiring a 550W power supply—50W lower than the RTX 3060 Ti demands.

While the RTX 3060's $329 price is certainly compelling, it's doubtlessly going to be subject to the same problems as every other Ampere release: difficult to find, a prime target for scalpers, and high retail prices.

Permalink to story.

I know memory subsystems aren’t created equally and I understand that this card has a slower bus and the memory is slower than the 8GB 3060ti. Meaning that the memory bandwidth will be higher on the 8GB card.

But surely if a game uses more than 8GB then having 8GB of faster memory isn’t going to give you as good performance as 12GB of slower memory?

Lets see if eth 2.0 will launch by the end of the year and if that will really be the end of mining eth. Surely there are other altcoins that can be mined with GPUs but proof-of-stake looks to be the way forward. If that really happens, we will have loads and loads of cheap ex-miner cards on the market.
I don't see how this crappy situation will get resolved without some major change in the crypto mining industry. Every miner I talked to either use bots to suck up all the cards from retailers or have connections at distributors and buy in bulk. Regular consumers have 0 chance of getting a card for a reasonable price. Not to mention scalpers....

We are a long way away from a supposed Crypto-Mining crash. This situation will last for this year and the next, at least.

I am not even sure ppl will be able to buy RTX 3k series GPUs in normal prices even after the RTX 4k series launch.

Is there anything ordinary gamers can do to help ethereum miners lose their shirts?

If GameStop can be bid up to $300, maybe there's a reverse version for them...

We are a long way away from a supposed Crypto-Mining crash. This situation will last for this year and the next, at least.

I am not even sure ppl will be able to buy RTX 3k series GPUs in normal prices even after the RTX 4k series launch.

A year and a half or so. But it will be a cliff when it comes.

The fact that Nvidia is still maintaining the pretence that they will be actually selling new products to normal people is laughable.
I find it more intriguing. Nvidia is under no obligation to sell GPUs to gamers, and indeed they sell many products not aimed at ordinary consumers. If it is clear that there is a large, sustainable demand from miners who will pay more than consumers, wouldn't the natural strategy be to make mining-focused products, sell it at actual market prices (thus keeping what the scalpers are taking now), and cut out unnecessary expenses like expensive FE trim and splashy marketing?

I'd even see some advantages to gamers: Nvidia would be getting more cash with which to eventually boost output; gamers wouldn't be wasting their time trying to buy cards that don't exist nor getting riled up by marketing for products they can't buy; and no developers would be designing games around cards that don't exist.

I find it more intriguing. Nvidia is under no obligation to sell GPUs to gamers, and indeed they sell many products not aimed at ordinary consumers. If it is clear that there is a large, sustainable demand from miners who will pay more than consumers, wouldn't the natural strategy be to make mining-focused products, sell it at actual market prices (thus keeping what the scalpers are taking now), and cut out unnecessary expenses like expensive FE trim and splashy marketing?

I'd even see some advantages to gamers: Nvidia would be getting more cash with which to eventually boost output; gamers wouldn't be wasting their time trying to buy cards that don't exist nor getting riled up by marketing for products they can't buy; and no developers would be designing games around cards that don't exist.

Not rly.

Mining is an investment and as such subject to a cost-benefit basis.

What am I gonna do with my mining-only GPUs after the mining craze ends? I can't sell them to other miners, I can't sell them to gamers either b/c they lack display ports.

Whereas I can always sell my regular gaming GPUs, used for mining, to you post mining craze as "light gaming, never overclocked" at 75% MSRP thus recouping a very substantial part of my original investment.

Even more ridiculous is the fact that some of the miners buy GPUs in bulk directly from importers at bulk prices and will even make a profit selling their GPUs post mining craze close to MSRP.

I have a question, since I'm still new here, but is this site related in any way to Hardware Unboxed?

I ask because this is the 3 or so post remind us the plebs that the Nvidia Gods are about to bestow us with the gift that is a 3060 soon and considering what Nvidia did to Steve, I keep wondering why so much nvidia *sskissing?

Apart from a few token press releases the silence from Nvidia and AMD, regarding the shortages,is deafening.

I have a question, since I'm still new here, but is this site related in any way to Hardware Unboxed?
Steve does reviews for both (with Hardware Unboxed being more a video format and Techspot the web format).

I ask because this is the 3 or so post remind us the plebs that the Nvidia Gods are about to bestow us with the gift that is a 3060 soon and considering what Nvidia did to Steve, I keep wondering why so much nvidia *sskissing?
You keep posting this in thread after thread, but back in the real world simply running a few articles on upcoming product isn't "*sskissing" at all. There are things I don't like about "review guidelines" but sulking in silence and pretending they don't exist is hardly any "solution"...

You keep posting this in thread after thread, but back in the real world simply running a few articles on upcoming product isn't "*sskissing" at all.
Just on the front page, right now, there are 3 articles of pretty much the same thing "the 3060 is coming!!!!"

Yet I dont see a good reason for the hype and reminders.

If you believe Nvidia or AMD will do anything to combat miners you're incredibly gullible.

They might say they care about gamers like Nike and Apple say they care about human rights but use slave labour.

They just want to sell their product and it's none of their business to who and what you do with their card, as it should be. Imagine wanting Nvidia checking up on you to see your GPU usage patterns.

Just on the front page, right now, there are 3 articles of pretty much the same thing "the 3060 is coming!!!!"

Yet I dont see a good reason for the hype and reminders.
It’s a tech news site mate. I’ve seen your posts and you have an irrationally emotional hatred for Nvidia. But most of the rest of us don’t hold this same defect and would like to use a tech news site to find out when new products release.

Maybe you should crawl back to the AMD subreddit?

There are also 3x Ryzen articles even though the 5800H is the only new chip mentioned. People who see "extreme bias" on a daily basis here are usually heavily biased the other way around and with comments like "I hope they start to lose so much money that they are forced to sell their headquarters and operate from under a bridge" in every other post on Intel / nVidia, you are hardly Mr. Neutral here... ;)

There are also 3x Ryzen articles even though the 5800H is the only new chip mentioned.
Those are reviews, with benchmarks, of a product that its currently at hand of the reviewer.

thats a big difference, compared to 3 articles about at upcoming launch, See the difference there?

about my bias, me hating those companies (and really sad that you had to go fishing just to continue this nonsense argument), has been explained before and once again, has nothing to do with the fact that this site has already published 3 articles to remind us that OMG, the 3060 is coming.

So, I said my piece, you said your, feel free to continue twisting my words to continue the circular argument.

irrationally emotional hatred for Nvidia.

I have seen your unconditional love for Nvidia, hence why I dont bother in replying to you.

and that is confirmed by your use of the word "irrational". since you know my post history, you can read it again and see if somehow, your brain can comprehend why it is actually very rational of my part (and others) to hate them, for the many actions they have done.

Maybe you should crawl back to the AMD subreddit?

Lets see how quickly it will be labelled "ad hominem "attack that the mods here love to throw around.

But in that part, you are mistaken, you mentioned AMD, I didnt.

If you believe Nvidia or AMD will do anything to combat miners you're incredibly gullible.

They might say they care about gamers like Nike and Apple say they care about human rights but use slave labour.

They just want to sell their product and it's none of their business to who and what you do with their card, as it should be. Imagine wanting Nvidia checking up on you to see your GPU usage patterns.
Thats the part that many dont get, same thing for their hate towards scalpers.

Everyone points fingers at them, but continue buying from them.

At the same time, they dont blame the retailers that are selling to them.

But as you said, for the same reasons, they dont care who they sell too, they just want that merchandise moved and paid for.

It sucks for us the customers, but from a business point, all of them win.

All we have to do is simply dont buy from scalpers and at least that will be one problem that we dont have to worry.

At this point though, I do wonder how many parts would need to be manufactured that would satisfy both the miners and the gamers?

about my bias, me hating those companies (and really sad that you had to go fishing just to continue this nonsense argument)
Dude, I didn't go "fishing", someone else above has already observed that you seem to actively seek out articles on nVidia and then complain in the comments section that everyone's talking about nVidia, it's that obvious... If you want to "police" Techspot for "daring" to cover technology that happens to come packaged in a blue or green box but not a red one, that's up to you. You were the one however who initially asked why tech sites cover tech, and I already answered that - same reason why nurses nurse and babysitters babysit, it's their job... :laughing:

Last edited:
I have seen your unconditional love for Nvidia, hence why I dont bother in replying to you.

and that is confirmed by your use of the word "irrational". since you know my post history, you can read it again and see if somehow, your brain can comprehend why it is actually very rational of my part (and others) to hate them, for the many actions they have done.

Lets see how quickly it will be labelled "ad hominem "attack that the mods here love to throw around.

But in that part, you are mistaken, you mentioned AMD, I didnt.
Ah so I can expect you to think that AMD is equally as disgusting an American corporation as Nvidia then?

Ah so I can expect you to think that AMD is equally as disgusting an American corporation as Nvidia then?
All of them are. The difference is, so far, in this particular case, Nvidia has shown they really dont care is screwing everyone, specially their own customers.

All of them are. The difference is, so far, in this particular case, Nvidia has shown they really dont care is screwing everyone, specially their own customers.
All of them are equally bad especially Nvidia? Lmao.

Sorry, this article is about the specs of the 3060. How is this screwing anyone?

Back