Nvidia RTX 3000 LHR cards' limiter partially bypassed, increasing mining performance to...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Mining software NBMiner can now unlock 70% of the Ethereum mining performance of Nvidia’s Lite Hash Rate (LHR) series. That’s potentially bad news for gamers already struggling to find the graphics cards in stock, and it will be even worse if the full hashrate is eventually unlocked.

You might remember that we’ve been here before. Back in March, soon after it released the RTX 3060 that artificially limited the effectiveness of Ethereum cryptomining, a beta driver "accidentally released" by Nvidia was found to bypass this limiter. It was quickly removed, but the damage had already been done.

In an attempt to address some of the global card shortages, which is partly due to miners, Nvidia released LHR versions of the RTX 3080, 3070, and 3060 Ti that come with GPUs limited to 50% of their normal mining performance. But NBMiner has found a partial workaround. As reported by VideoCardz, the latest version of the software restores up to 70% of the LHR cards’ maximum unlocked hashrate, though the devs recommend setting it to 68% for the best stability.

Courtesy of VideoCardz

The new model works on Windows and Linux, but it currently only supports the ethash algorithm. Tom’s Hardware estimates that the tool could give the RTX 3060 Ti LHR a hashrate of up to 41 MH/s, putting it around the same level as the Radeon RX5600 XT or GeForce RTX 2070.

While this is potentially bad news for non-mining gamers, there is something to look forward to: Ethereum’s upcoming move from a proof-of-work (PoW) model to proof-of-stake (PoS), which should take place in 2021 or early next year, aims to reduce power usage by up 99.95% and cut the requirement for GPUs.

Permalink to story.

I think you guys should append the append you put about Ethereum supposed change to Proof-of-Stake: We're closing in to a year of this rumor that just never happened so the "soon" can be safely dropped.

I think you guys should append the append you put about Ethereum supposed change to Proof-of-Stake: We're closing in to a year of this rumor that just never happened so the "soon" can be safely dropped.
Gamers are hoping that the December dificulty bomb for ETH will stop this crytop mining, but I would not have my hopes too high for that to stop it.

They also say that PoS is going to happen mid 2022, so about 1 year from now. I think we should rather expect at least 1 more year of this crypto mining (ETH) situation.

70% of full performance, is that really enough performance to get a return for crypto miners?
Yes, it's quite good/enough actually. Especially considering that ETH (and other crypto too) is again rising in price...

I predicted this would happen back when the launched the "LHR" version and then someone deleted my post here when I wrote so.
I know the feeling, when you state facts the cry babies report your post for random things.

Aside from that, was only a matter of time before the LHR was broken. Even at 50% you get profits for mining your gaming GPU. And this is happening as the Bull Market has started, so mining is back at it again :).

Sorry for everyone who dislikes crypto.

At-all-costs mining is post-civilisation

whether post-civilisation means trending up or trending down is up to you
Mining is post nothing, its always been always will be for 7000yrs mining has been happening, it just exists in a state of micro evolution, it will go from one thing to another.... infinitely until the world is gone!!

Yes, it's quite good/enough actually. Especially considering that ETH (and other crypto too) is again rising in price...

LOL, not anymore. It started dropping. As soon as I bought crypto it stalled, then it oscillated for a few days, and today it's falling like a rock.

If any of you have invested in crypto and you wanna keep earning money, the solution is simple. Pay me $50,000 and I will sell my crypto. As soon as I sell, it will skyrocket. If you don't pay, I'll keep my crypto and it will keep sinking. Because as soon as I buy, it sinks. You won't believe how quickly it will reach the record minimum.

So....... start collecting the money...... I'm not too greedy...

LOL, not anymore. It started dropping. As soon as I bought crypto it stalled, then it oscillated for a few days, and today it's falling like a rock.

If any of you have invested in crypto and you wanna keep earning money, the solution is simple. Pay me $50,000 and I will sell my crypto. As soon as I sell, it will skyrocket. If you don't pay, I'll keep my crypto and it will keep sinking. Because as soon as I buy, it sinks. You won't believe how quickly it will reach the record minimum.

So....... start collecting the money...... I'm not too greedy...
I'm sorry, but you clearly are clueless about cryto. It had a relative small correction, from 48k to 45k BTC (3.3k to 3k ETH) where it is stabilizing now, because it has stronger support. BTC and ETH usually mirror each other, that's why I'm giving both examples.

It may drop further, but unless it drops back to 30k BTC / 1.7k ETH, this is nothing and at 45k now, or if it drops to 40k (and the equivalent drop on ETH) it is still profitable to mine, even on LHR GPUs, especially at 70% output which they have now.

I'm sorry, but you clearly are clueless about cryto. It had a relative small correction, from 48k to 45k BTC (3.3k to 3k ETH) where it is stabilizing now, because it has stronger support. BTC and ETH usually mirror each other, that's why I'm giving both examples.

LOL. Are you kidding? First it had a huge drop from 64,000 (on April 14th) down to 28,900 (on July 20th). Then because of the release of updated ETH protocol, ETH started to rise, pulling all other cryptos with it. So the BC balloon inflated again to 47,900 (peaking on August 16th). But as the ETH craze passed, all the cryptos went south. BC is currently at 44,600 and sinking...

LOL. Are you kidding? First it had a huge drop from 64,000 (on April 14th) down to 28,900 (on July 20th). Then because of the release of updated ETH protocol, ETH started to rise, pulling all other cryptos with it. So the BC balloon inflated again to 47,900 (peaking on August 16th). But as the ETH craze passed, all the cryptos went south. BC is currently at 44,600 and sinking...
LMAO

Dude, I'm not talking about investing in crypto, I'm talking about mining with GPUs ETH and it's profitability! Read my entire post again, this was the discussion about, profitability if mining, not investment advice...

Can you not read?

It's still profitable, even at 40k, even with 70% LHR output. Maybe even lower than 40k, depending on your region and electricity costs...

Get it?

This tweet didn't age well at all. BTC is currently breaking it's previous record and looks like it might rub north of 70k. ETH is almost at 4k again. BTC is also on the stock market as a futures, so it's publicly traded now.

sooooo........ Looks like you didn't predict that market well at all.

This tweet didn't age well at all. BTC is currently breaking it's previous record and looks like it might rub north of 70k. ETH is almost at 4k again. BTC is also on the stock market as a futures, so it's publicly traded now.

sooooo........ Looks like you didn't predict that market well at all.

We'll see. The star is always brightest before it explodes and disintegrates. I will admit that BTC is behaving a lot less predictable than previous years, because someone is actively manipulating it. But manipulations require lots of energy and effort. Can't last forever. Stay tuned for updates.

Back