Nvidia RTX 4000 GPU series could surface as early as next summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It’s still tough to believe considering their scarcity, but the calendar confirms that Nvidia’s RTX 30 series graphics cards launched over a year ago. The show must go on however, and for Nvidia that means the development and subsequent launch of its next-gen RTX cards, whether that means they will be good for gamers or miners, is an entirely different question.

PCGamesN recently highlighted a tweet from hardware leaker kopite7kimi on the subject, suggesting a new generation of cards from Nvidia – namely the 4090, 4080 and 4070 – could surface in the third quarter of 2022. It’s unclear if this time frame would be for the cards’ announcement or actual launch.

Earlier rumors hinted at an October 2022 launch date for Nvidia’s Ampere successor, codenamed Lovelace. Assuming the latest rumor is accurate, it’s possible that Nvidia has shifted its roadmap by at least a couple of months.

Nvidia’s Lovelace cards are expected to be built on TSMC’s N5 node process and could offer twice the performance of existing 30 Series cards, albeit at the expense of higher power consumption. Another well-known leaker, Greymon55, recently hinted that next-gen GPUs could command double the amount of power of today’s cards. If true, one might need to also budget for a new power supply if their current unit isn't up to the task.

Back in October, reports surfaced regarding a 30 Series refresh said to be in the works. New versions of existing cards with more memory would be welcome by some, but I’m certain others would just as happily like to see the existing lineup available to purchase at their intended MSRPs.

Permalink to story.

It makes sense to keep pressing on in the face of a massive chip shortage. Innovation must continue. However, there are millions of people that have still been waiting on the current series. It doesn't make any sense to keep producing launches for products the consumer cannot actually buy (not counting the scalpers). All the next launch will do at this point is put gas on the fire to the tune of $3000-$5000 video cards in the secondary market.

You Tuber Jayz of "Jayztwocents" fame, an EVGA insider, claimed that there's over 1 million ppl still in EVGA's EU and NA waiting lists for EVGA RTX 3000 series GPUs.

RTX 4000 GPUs will be out and there will still be over 1 million customers waiting to buy an RTX 3K GPU.

Pathetic.

Imagine if it gets so bad AMD actually ask INTEL to produce their chip due to shortages! Ha Ha ;-) That would be crazy.

Getting RTX 40 out before RDNA 3 could be Nvidia's strategy next year knowing that it will likely need to drop prices with RDNA's MCM design. Sell as many as you can at top $ and then lower prices once AMD releases to undercut them. It's a sound strategy as long as AMD doesn't move up their release window.

Not that it was a difficult prediction but it is looking like both 3000 for Nvidia and 6000 for AMD will be dead generations. Like good tech, but a full entire generation that was mostly devoid of gamers (At least compared to the demand for them) and grabbed up mostly by miners.

Which is fine if that's what Jensen and Lisa want out of things, but you've gotta think they might be already aiming to start a new generation while there's *STILL* both supply issues and very likely mining demand without taking control away from distributors and AIB partners.

So why spend so much R&D on gaming features and driver optimizations? At what point will they decide "Just release a compute product with no improvement on feature set since these will end up mining Ethereum anyway"? It would certainly drive up their margins even more.

It makes sense to keep pressing on in the face of a massive chip shortage. Innovation must continue. However, there are millions of people that have still been waiting on the current series. It doesn't make any sense to keep producing launches for products the consumer cannot actually buy (not counting the scalpers). All the next launch will do at this point is put gas on the fire to the tune of $3000-$5000 video cards in the secondary market.
Well from a business perspective Nvidia has two reasons to release new GPUs. 1. AMD's MCM is coming and that is going to be a punch to the gut for Nvidia as their MCM is still several years away. 2. It's not like Nvidia is selling less GPUs, on the contrary, they are selling tons of GPUs. It's only the consumer that is feeling the pinch because a lot of the GPUs are not making it to them.

This is good news. You may actually be able to get a GPU on launch day at MSRP if you preorder it. And tbh at this point waiting another 6-7 months isn’t too bad.

I just hope prices are good. I miss the days where a $250 GPU could run all the new games for a 2-3 years. Right now if I spent that sort of money I’d get the same 5 year old GPU I’m currently on!

Sooner or later 1000-1200W+ PSUs will be the norm. Even just my RTX 3070 and 5800X rig pumps out a notable amount of heat when you pass near it.

Not that it was a difficult prediction but it is looking like both 3000 for Nvidia and 6000 for AMD will be dead generations. Like good tech, but a full entire generation that was mostly devoid of gamers (At least compared to the demand for them) and grabbed up mostly by miners.

Which is fine if that's what Jensen and Lisa want out of things, but you've gotta think they might be already aiming to start a new generation while there's *STILL* both supply issues and very likely mining demand without taking control away from distributors and AIB partners.

So why spend so much R&D on gaming features and driver optimizations? At what point will they decide "Just release a compute product with no improvement on feature set since these will end up mining Ethereum anyway"? It would certainly drive up their margins even more.
Both of them already have compute cards. I know that the nVidia card costs significantly more than consumer cards with comparable specs. So the miners out there buy the consumer cards to maximize their returns on investment - why pay so much for a compute card when the consumer card performs nearly as well on similar tasks? I expect that the AMD compute cards are comparatively expensive. (I run BOINC projects myself).

As we have seen, it is not so easy to cripple the "compute" functionality of consumer cards such that they are completely unattractive to miners (or even the HPC market). Supply concerns aside, both companies are in the market to make profits and as I see it, they have little interest making a card that appeals only to gamers - if such is even possible. However, it seems that they would have to make a card that appeals only to gamers rather than the compute market.

It makes sense to keep pressing on in the face of a massive chip shortage. Innovation must continue. However, there are millions of people that have still been waiting on the current series. It doesn't make any sense to keep producing launches for products the consumer cannot actually buy (not counting the scalpers). All the next launch will do at this point is put gas on the fire to the tune of $3000-$5000 video cards in the secondary scalpers market.
FTFY. ;)

Both of them already have compute cards. I know that the nVidia card costs significantly more than consumer cards with comparable specs. So the miners out there buy the consumer cards to maximize their returns on investment - why pay so much for a compute card when the consumer card performs nearly as well on similar tasks? I expect that the AMD compute cards are comparatively expensive. (I run BOINC projects myself).

As we have seen, it is not so easy to cripple the "compute" functionality of consumer cards such that they are completely unattractive to miners (or even the HPC market). Supply concerns aside, both companies are in the market to make profits and as I see it, they have little interest making a card that appeals only to gamers - if such is even possible. However, it seems that they would have to make a card that appeals only to gamers rather than the compute market.
Probably not a straight compute product, but think a veeeery barebones gpu: not much in the way of new features like DLSS or FSR introduced very sparingly every few years instead of almost every generation as it stands today, just basic drivers without constant fixing of issues and optimization, mostly just stripped down as much as possible instead maximizing stuff that miners would like and gamers wouldn't mind so it's a "consumer" card that could be used as such but only covers the bare minimum a consumer gamer would like and focuses on raw compute power for mining.

Nice!

Once these officially launch and 3xxx hit EOL and fall out of production, folks will probably be in the same boat as they are now due to scalpers and miners finding ways to gobble up a majority of the GPUs before they hit shelves at distributors.

You Tuber Jayz of "Jayztwocents" fame, an EVGA insider, claimed that there's over 1 million ppl still in EVGA's EU and NA waiting lists for EVGA RTX 3000 series GPUs.

RTX 4000 GPUs will be out and there will still be over 1 million customers waiting to buy an RTX 3K GPU.

Pathetic.

That may be the case, but how many of those people are on the list twice? Or how many have received one (or multiple cards from EVGA already before they put out a sweeping adjustment to their waiting list) card already and are still on the list waiting for a second?

I got a card off EVGA's waiting list and I'm still on there for 1 more - which I'm guessing I'll never see due to the low turn out they have for the other model I'm waiting on.

Well from a business perspective Nvidia has two reasons to release new GPUs. 1. AMD's MCM is coming and that is going to be a punch to the gut for Nvidia as their MCM is still several years away. 2. It's not like Nvidia is selling less GPUs, on the contrary, they are selling tons of GPUs. It's only the consumer that is feeling the pinch because a lot of the GPUs are not making it to them.
Getting RTX 40 out before RDNA 3 could be Nvidia's strategy next year knowing that it will likely need to drop prices with RDNA's MCM design. Sell as many as you can at top $ and then lower prices once AMD releases to undercut them. It's a sound strategy as long as AMD doesn't move up their release window.

That's if AMD undercuts them, and can produce product on a meaningful scale.

Moore's Law is Dead, said they might just rebrand the super refresh as 4000 series cards and Lovelace cards would be 5000 series. Given how chaotic their current 3000 series line-up, a move to 4000 series with a simplified line-up makes sense

The 4000 line-up would consist of

4060 12GB (3060 Super) that replaces both 3060 and 3060 Ti
4070 8GB (3070 Super) replaces both 3070 and 3070 Ti
4070 Ti 16GB replaces 3070 Ti and 3080
4080 12GB (3080 Super) replaces 3080 and 3080 Ti
4090 24GB (3090 Super/Ti) replaces 3090

Cards would all feature higher clocks and bump in memory speed compared to 3000 variants.

Yes 4070 Ti will have 16GB, more than 4080. Nvidia have backed themselves into a corner, they would need to keep 4080 on 320 bit bus and go to 20GB. But they killed off the 3080 Ti with 20GB to go to cut down 3090 on 384 bit bus with 12GB.

I don't see a refresh coming. Why would anyone buy them? We're not exactly hurting for performance with current gen cards to want something a bit better.

I won't support this insane use of power for a video card. This is nuts. No wonder the Environmentalists are doubling up on the prozac.

Just in time for the winter months. Get 2 4090 and you don't even need central heating system in your house. :p Seriously tho it's terrifying. Assuming it's true, it's not a refresh and I have hypothetical 4090 Lovelace that raises my electricity bill by half when rendering for most of the day. Already electric bills will be higher ~40% from January. More scary than all the Halloween nonsense combined in history.

Frankly can't imagine the increase in compute power and will certainly skip this generation. Next card I expect to have all VRAM on one side of the card and no less than 24GB. 3090 is like USS Enterprise-E compared to what I had before. 4090 will be like Spaceball One at Ludicrous Speed. :D

All Hail the Dark Leather Jacket.

Back