Nvidia teases first Fermi-based GeForce graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

AMD officially lifted the curtain today on its much-anticipated Radeon HD 5970, a dual-GPU solution which as of today has become the world's fastest graphics card on the market. Packed with some pretty impressive specs, the new card outclasses the competition in every benchmark thrown at it with ease, and puts AMD at the head of the high-end graphics segment for the first time in a long while.

Not one to just sit on the sidelines and let its rival get all the glory, Nvidia is hoping to build some anticipation for its upcoming DirectX 11 lineup by showing a picture of what appears to be the first working sample of a 40nm, GF100 desktop card based on the Fermi architecture. Posted on the company's Facebook account, the picture shows a black GeForce-branded card installed on an ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 motherboard, running Uningine's Heaven DirectX 11 benchmark on a Dell 24-inch monitor.

Details are scarce, as even the corner showing framerates has been cut off, but from what little we can see the card covers two slots and packs an 8-pin plus 6-pin PCI Express connector, meaning it can suck up to 300W and will likely provide healthy overclocking headroom. Expectations are running quite high for Nvidia's answer to the Radeon HD 5800 series, although clock and overall performance numbers remain unknown.

Permalink to story.

WOW

1 card thats a joke.. who cares about fermi? i would care if it was to be released soon not next year... i was once a nvidia customer but not anymore.....they make batter cards than ati but Jen-Hsun Huang attitude stinks.

truth is if there was no nvidia ati wouldnt make you pay the earth for there cards...if there was no ati nvidia would charge you the world for there cards.

im sticking with the company that treats its customers fairly.

Competition is great for all of us customer. Reduces price and drives innovation. I hope that both Nvidia and ATI duke it out for many years to come.

Nvidia better pull their heads out and get going with their DirectX11 cards - without specs, prices and delivery dates this dog and pony show means nothing. And ATI is blowing them out of the water right now.

I'm with compdata - competition is VERY good for us consumers.

AWESOMMEEEE

actually its very un-AWESOMMEEE Punkid, I wish it was AWESOMMEEE as you say.

either Nvidia has its *** in the ringer or they are trying to be to clever by half. showing a nondescript card running 'heaven benchmark' on a 24' with no frame rates showing??? big deal. I think this illustrates how far behind in GPU architecture Nvidia is. Giving ATI a what appears to be a two quarter unchallenged head start, and they cant even produce approximate specs? I could be wrong about this and Fermi could blow the 58xx & 59xx series out of the water....but if that's so, this is the strangest marketing I have ever seen.

so this is their retaliation? a picture of their chip. Yes, I believe I seen the chip about three months ago. Fermi is going to be garbage, overpriced, and tuned away from gamers.

ATI will win this battle, I can't wait to see how much fermi blows

But Guest, people have been saying that about every wave of new graphics cards! I'll admit that ATI's new line up is very strong, but only because we have nothing new to compare it to, if history for the last 5 years or so serves me well, nVidia will come up with something extreme compared to this come next year.

actually its very un-AWESOMMEEE Punkid, I wish it was AWESOMMEEE as you say.

either Nvidia has its *** in the ringer or they are trying to be to clever by half. showing a nondescript card running 'heaven benchmark' on a 24' with no frame rates showing??? big deal. I think this illustrates how far behind in GPU architecture Nvidia is. Giving ATI a what appears to be a two quarter unchallenged head start, and they cant even produce approximate specs? I could be wrong about this and Fermi could blow the 58xx & 59xx series out of the water....but if that's so, this is the strangest marketing I have ever seen.

Actually if nvidia doe... Waaaiiitttt "Nvidia has its *** in the ringer" Is that even a real phrase? Have I just not heard it?

(Insert awkward pause here)

Anyway I'm with compdata and tomsea, if the gt300 series is equal to the 5k series it will only mean victory for the consumers. Then again I am probably the only person with a 4850 that had an nvidia logo desktop background for 6 months.

Actually if nvidia doe... Waaaiiitttt "Nvidia has its *** in the ringer" Is that even a real phrase? Have I just not heard it?

(Insert awkward pause here)

Anyway I'm with compdata and tomsea, if the gt300 series is equal to the 5k series it will only mean victory for the consumers. Then again I am probably the only person with a 4850 that had an nvidia logo desktop background for 6 months.

Im not sure what that means 1/4, but i also agree with Tom and comp, i hope that the competition is fierce when the Fermi comes out....what i said was that if they have a viable and competitive product coming out, this is a very odd strategy.
....and of course its a real phrase....I just said it :p;)

nVidia, if you want me to hold off buying an ATi Dx11 card, tell me what is it that I'm waiting for? The mockup Fermi card said nothing. The supposedly Dx11 photo wasn't convincing neither with frame rate info deliberately cut off. Come on! Tell me there is something from nVidia that is worth waiting for over the next 6 months.

Hurry it up would you. We need some competition in the GPU market.

It would be nice to see one of the two actually put out a new series of cards that just blows away the others, and not just one up themselves somewhat over and over.

The average user doesn't need these cards, the average user doesn't have a 800+ power supply and a huge case, to make a lot of money they need to pander to the masses.

Basically, I'm pissed that these cards are ridiculously long and won't fit in my case. <g>
Besides, for what I am doing, my 8800 GTS (92) is still very good, thankfully, because to get a seriously strong upgrade, I'll have to spend a lot more than the price of just the new card.

DX10(.1) didn't really take off, has DX11? I'm a Win7 user now, but not THAT thrilled with it.

Im not sure what that means 1/4, but i also agree with Tom and comp, i hope that the competition is fierce when the Fermi comes out....what i said was that if they have a viable and competitive product coming out, this is a very odd strategy.
....and of course its a real phrase....I just said it :p;)

I'm not sure what it means ether, I'm glad I decided to pull the other confusing stuff about lemons out of that post. If you think this is weird advertising then you need to watch some paid programming at 3:00AM.

I gave the advertising a bit thought and I think if nvidia shows a few more things in the next few weeks and they increase how much info each one has, they might end up getting a a lot of people to wait and maybe even buy the cards as soon as possible instead of waiting for the reviews. Or it could have just been an employee getting too exited, and if you go to the picture on nvidias facebook you can see the top left corner of the screen but you wont be able to make anything out. Another weird thing you will notice on facbook is that if you hover your mouse over the top right corner of the picture it says "there is no 5870 here... SHUT UP" and complaints about how bad the mouse and keyboard were in the picture, which almost makes it seem as though it was some possibly drunk employee that posted it, or you could be right their advertising department could have lost it.

I'm not sure what it means ether, I'm glad I decided to pull the other confusing stuff about lemons out of that post. If you think this is weird advertising then you need to watch some paid programming at 3:00AM.

ROFL!
well damn... you got me there 1/4! what!? you don't buy "hinge pillow technology"?:haha::p

Well... Lots of nvidia bashing...

Of all the games I've played (most notably my favorite: civ4) ati has usually required patches to get it running. I'll take a ding in performance if it means out-of-the-box compatibility.

Well... Lots of nvidia bashing...

Of all the games I've played (most notably my favorite: civ4) ati has usually required patches to get it running. I'll take a ding in performance if it means out-of-the-box compatibility.

huh? usually required patches? i don't think there is bashing going on here...no need to guest, Nvidia is doing it to themselves with all this misdirection, lack of specs, mocked up cards, and stills of an alleged Fermi without as so much any frame rates. A lot of Nvidia and ATI fans alike all scratching their heads wondering what is going on, i think we all want the competition.;)

surely that image there on the screen is pretty but we all mean business i.e. fps. even crysis looked pretty on my pc but the fps........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back