Nvidia unlikely to unveil GTX 2080/70 GPUs this month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rumors swirled earlier this week suggesting Nvidia was preparing to showcase its next generation of GeForce graphics cards during its GPU Technology Conference (GTC) at the end of the month (or perhaps even during the annual Game Developers Conference a week earlier).

Unfortunately, neither venue will host the big reveal according to a recent report from Tom’s Hardware. Multiple independent sources tell the site that apart from a possible announcement and a vague appetizer, nothing concrete regarding Nvidia’s next-gen gaming hardware is likely to be shared at the shows.

“Rumors that these venues would be the big reveal for Nvidia’s 2018 cards to succeed its current Pascal lineup should be put to rest,” the site advises.

New hardware was expected to arrive by late April or early May but that was contingent upon Nvidia showcasing the goods this month.

If the debut does indeed get pushed back as Tom’s Hardware claims, it will bump the consumer release as well. Various sources tell the site that mass production of Turing cards will not start until mid-June meaning a hard launch won’t take place before July. Such a scenario would even rule out a Computex unveiling in June although it’s possible that non-functioning mock-ups could be presented at the show.

The likely launch pad then becomes Gamescom in August.

Permalink to story.

At this point I don't care about Nvidia, those cards will be sold to all crypto miner and I'll pay 2 times the price of the msrp. So in other words go to hell Nvidia and retailers, resellers and everyone who sells those cards.

2080 doesnt have a good ring to it like 1080 did.

IDK like to see 2k8, 2k7, 2k6 for the next few generations. It seems like all the graphics cards have been going back and fourth between 3 and 4 digit numbers while only properly using 3 characters.

I know this is totally irelivant and a really minor issue but I'd love to see some creativity in naming.

At this point I don't care about Nvidia, those cards will be sold to all crypto miner and I'll pay 2 times the price of the msrp. So in other words go to hell Nvidia and retailers, resellers and everyone who sells those cards.

I'm in the same train as in as long as miners keep GPU prices high I don't care about GPU launches, but I don't get why NVIDIA specifically. Here a VEGA 56 is more expensive than a GTX 1080, so is nothing related to NVIDIA specifically.

Don't worry guys, its all a phase!

when new miming hardware will come out, the used cards market will be FLOODED! new sales will start to slip, and nvidia/AMD will be force to release something better to compete against their own old products.

WE will just have to live through this!

I like to upgrade every other generation and running a 980Ti right now. So this next release I'm very interested in.

EXCEPT...as fluffydestroyer alluded to, cryptomining is killing game machine builder enthusiasts. I have no problem paying a fair price for hardware. But no way in hell will I pay 50%+ more just because of the cryptomining simpletons cornering the market on GPU's.

Why does everyone assume 20xx series naming instead of 11xx series? Latter makes much more sense.

Why does everyone assume 20xx series naming instead of 11xx series? Latter makes much more sense.
My opinion is that people might confuse new midranged cards with old high end cards. Making it 2000 would more clearly differentiate from the previous generation making videocard shopping easier for less informed consumers. This would also reduce the risk of sketchy marketing from less reputable resellers.

If computer's hardware doesn't get back to old prices, many people is going to play on consoles instead.

Whatever. I'm about to convert into a console gamer.
I already did. But modern console games are plagued with lootboxes, micro-transactions, game breaking bugs, unfinished slop, and constant pressure to spend more money.

So I upgraded to a nintendo gamecube/PS2. So many good games. Might get a switch at some point, but that depends on future game releases.

Don't worry guys, its all a phase!

when new miming hardware will come out, the used cards market will be FLOODED! new sales will start to slip, and nvidia/AMD will be force to release something better to compete against their own old products.

WE will just have to live through this!

This is probably why they're holding back.

Just think of how many used cards will become available fo next-to-nothing when the crypto currency market crashes. I’m planning on a quad-2080Ti machine by mid-2019.

Also ,there are still lots of current cards available in the channels,selling for insane amounts of money,why mess with that?.may as well wait for the bubble to pop,or current supplies to dry up..I do hope miners get stuck with their baked goods,I won't be buying anything used, and I recommend nobody else do either. quite the POOP Parade,,Sh!t Show. And if the storm knocked out the mining power ,bitter sweet the Irony .

Last edited:
Go ahead, release the new cards. Other sites have took Nvidia's admission that the cards would be very expensive, like double that of current cards on the MSRP alone. Get a jump on ROI while mining is still popular. I like the time gap in releases.. And with the time gap, you could technically be OK with paying double (MSRP/ not miner markup) for a card guaranteed to be relevant for 2 years (to 4 depending on the tier), based on competition.

Hopefully they continue to plan/build smart. Stick with GDDR(6) instead of HBM(v?). As for naming, go to an 11x0 type (from 10x0).. or change it more, 11(version)8(class) lop off that 0. I think it'd be more interesting to see a bin level added to the end with a letter.. A being among perfect, E being stock (as F doesn't sound right). Benchmarks in reviews would be a whole lot more reliable with the variable auto overclocking if they compared an 118A to an 118A..

With the supposed leaks of incoming gpus together with the rumors and speculative news, I will not be surprised if this 'new news' is not just a part of NVidia's marketing strategy.

I hope the u.s. government will investigate both amd and NVidia and determine which individuals and stores profited from the insane prices of gpus and tax them to hell... anyway, what is the use of 'surveillance' if not used against terrorists, undesirable aliens, and profiteers?

may you rot in hell, GPU Ferengi!

The correlation between miners and hikes is mighty convenient and imho a ploy to condition us consumers to get used to and accept higher baseline prices. Nvidia's 3 tiers used to sell at around 150/300/500, but the new sales model is closer to 350/600/900 and I expect this to continue a bit loner and settle even higher by year's end. Expensive hobby getting more expensive.

Imagine how this year's 2080TI is gonna outperform my Titan XP...and this year's Titan X will outperform everything prior.

I think I gotta change my undies.

With the supposed leaks of incoming gpus together with the rumors and speculative news, I will not be surprised if this 'new news' is not just a part of NVidia's marketing strategy.

I hope the u.s. government will investigate both amd and NVidia and determine which individuals and stores profited from the insane prices of gpus and tax them to hell... anyway, what is the use of 'surveillance' if not used against terrorists, undesirable aliens, and profiteers?

may you rot in hell, GPU Ferengi!

Can't punish for supply and demand markup. There's mark-up everywhere for various reasons. The only instance I know of where markup per demand is illegal.. natural disasters. You can't mark up water to $50 a gallon when there's no running water in an area. I don't even like saying it.. but you can live without a video card.

The correlation between miners and hikes is mighty convenient and imho a ploy to condition us consumers to get used to and accept higher baseline prices. Nvidia's 3 tiers used to sell at around 150/300/500, but the new sales model is closer to 350/600/900 and I expect this to continue a bit loner and settle even higher by year's end. Expensive hobby getting more expensive.
Well, it's because the process is shrinking isn't it? similar to how amd could make it's ryzen/epyc cpus for cheaper. Just from a creation standpoint, when there are many, many processes in the line of creation, there are more points of failure. Watch AdoredTV on you tube. The current method of making everything in one core.. it's going to have to go away or risk being greatly more expensive/smaller production.

Imagine how this year's 2080TI is gonna outperform my Titan XP...and this year's Titan X will outperform everything prior.

I think I gotta change my undies.

Assuming it comes out this year. Right now Nvidia only have to beat Navi to market, which doesn't come out until 2019. Vega+ isn't going to topple the 1080 Ti. I'd say the 2080 comes out this year and maybe the 2080 Ti late this year if not 2019.

Back