Nvidia was the only major GPU maker to increase shipments in the third quarter

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: GPU shipments reached 101 million units in the third quarter of 2021 according to the latest report from Jon Peddie Research. That’s an increase of 12 percent year over year but a significant 18.2 percent decline compared to the second quarter.

Looking at each of the three biggest manufacturers reveals that AMD’s shipments were down by 11.4 percent in the third quarter. Nvidia’s shipments, meanwhile, increased eight percent while Intel saw its shipments decline by 25.6 percent.

The publication said the third quarter used to be the strongest relative to Q2, but the pandemic and recession have scrambled seasonality. In fact, the third quarter saw the biggest drop ever from the previous quarter and was way below the 10-year average.

The situation looked eerily similar in the CPU sector. JPR found that the overall PC CPU market increased 9.2 percent year over year but dipped 23.1 percent compared to last quarter. The tablet market also saw shipments decline 6.9 percent quarter over quarter.

JPR President Jon Peddie said Covid continues to unbalance the fragile supply chain that relied too heavily upon a just-in-time strategy. “We don’t expect to see a stabilized supply chain until the end of 2022. In the meantime, there will be some surprises,” he added.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang just last week said he expects demand to far exceed supply through 2022. AMD chief Lisa Su back in September said she believes the chip shortage could ease in the second half of 2022 while Intel boss Pat Gelsinger sees shortages running into 2023.

Permalink to story.

Well, My 2060 died in the middle of the global crisis, and the shop that sold It to Me refunded Me, rather than getting Me a new one (that They had in stock for double the money), so my next GPU, in the spring of 2025 will be AMD (or Intel), just so to show nVidia My middle finger (Yeah, I know It's not Jenny's direct fault, but I'm a passionate person).
In the meantime I'm discovering My portfolio of older, less demanding, Epic freebies. And reinstalled Red Alert 2 Yuri, of course.

Well, My 2060 died in the middle of the global crisis, and the shop that sold It to Me refunded Me, rather than getting Me a new one (that They had in stock for double the money), so my next GPU, in the spring of 2025 will be AMD (or Intel), just so to show nVidia My middle finger (Yeah, I know It's not Jenny's direct fault, but I'm a passionate person).
In the meantime I'm discovering My portfolio of older, less demanding, Epic freebies. And reinstalled Red Alert 2 Yuri, of course.
Lol, I’m not defending Nvidia, that company can suck my balls. But honestly, dont buy Radeon, youl regret it. They hate their customers even more than Nvidia do! You’re just going to end up hating PC gaming if you do that. Maybe Intel will be decent.

I think your story really does put the whole GPU scenario into perspective.
To be blunt;they are all at it.

Not relying entirely on TSMC and having a better product and price than last gen paid off. Shocker.

Lol, I’m not defending Nvidia, that company can suck my balls. But honestly, dont buy Radeon, youl regret it. They hate their customers even more than Nvidia do! You’re just going to end up hating PC gaming if you do that. Maybe Intel will be decent.
No worries there pal, as I recount, out of 10 GPUs I had over the last 23 years, all of Them decided at than current price/performance ratio, 3 were Radeons and I don't recall ever having any major issues assumed by (nVidia shill) media.

No worries there pal, as I recount, out of 10 GPUs I had over the last 23 years, all of Them decided at than current price/performance ratio, 3 were Radeons and I don't recall ever having any major issues assumed by (nVidia shill) media.
I was on Radeons for 8 years before my current RTX 2080. And all of them had better price/performance than their Nvidia counterparts at the time. But all of them had issues, a lot more issues than this 2080 has given me. I think this is just because of their tiny market share, the fact is issues get fixed quicker if you get more data on them and Nvidia sell way more cards so there’s more data to gather. But the problem is now AMD don’t have the better price performance (If MSRP was real they don’t anyway). I always used to buy the $200-$250 part from AMD, this has disappeared recently. Now you spend Nvidia money for an AMD card but you get the crappier drivers, no ray tracing, no DLSS etc, it’s just not worth the big bucks.

Both companies are a bag of dicks. But Nvidia definitely make objectively better solutions than AMD. Choosing to harm yourself by purchasing Radeon over Nvidia is just going to hurt you, Nvidia won’t miss you.

I was on Radeons for 8 years before my current RTX 2080. And all of them had better price/performance than their Nvidia counterparts at the time. But all of them had issues, a lot more issues than this 2080 has given me. I think this is just because of their tiny market share, the fact is issues get fixed quicker if you get more data on them and Nvidia sell way more cards so there’s more data to gather. But the problem is now AMD don’t have the better price performance (If MSRP was real they don’t anyway). I always used to buy the $200-$250 part from AMD, this has disappeared recently. Now you spend Nvidia money for an AMD card but you get the crappier drivers, no ray tracing, no DLSS etc, it’s just not worth the big bucks.

Both companies are a bag of dicks. But Nvidia definitely make objectively better solutions than AMD. Choosing to harm yourself by purchasing Radeon over Nvidia is just going to hurt you, Nvidia won’t miss you.
It's ok calm down,
The whole wide world is with you.

Back