Obi-Wan series reportedly on hold as scripts are thrown out and crew sent home

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Looking forward to seeing the Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+? You might be waiting a while. According to reports, development of the show has been put on hold after the only two scripts were thrown out and the crew dismissed.

With The Mandalorian proving so popular, hopes were high that Ewan McGregor reprising his role as Obi-Wan would be equally successful. But the Hollywood Reporter, citing multiple sources, claims that the series has been “put on hold” as Disney+ and Lucasfilm “attempt a retooling.”

According to the report, only two scripts had been written, but Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy wasn't happy with them, and they were thrown out. Lucasfilm is now searching for a new writer to replace the Oscar-nominated Hossein Amini (Drive, The Wings of the Dove), and the planned six episodes have been cut to just four. It’s noted that McGregor and director Deborah Chow remain attached to the project.

It’s unclear why the scripts had become a problem. A source claims the story was too close to The Mandalorian, with Obi-Wan protecting a young Luke or perhaps a young Leia, similar to how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protection.

Rumors of behind the scenes problems also come from Collider, which reports that crew in London’s Pinewood Studios were sent home after being told the show would be down “indefinitely,” though it hasn’t been canceled.

McGregor says reports of the problems are exaggerated. "I’ve read about eighty, ninety percent of what they’ve written so far, and it’s really, really good," he told IGN. "Instead of shooting this August, they just want to start shooting in January, that's all. Nothing more dramatic then that." The actor added that he hadn’t heard about the number of episodes being cut from six to four.

Permalink to story.

Probably the best thing to happen to the series.
If the scripts were thrown out to appease Kennedy, you can rest assured this series will be absolutely boring prat, on par with the snore fest that is the sequel trilogy. I assume rian johnson will be made director soon, or will shoehorn a female protagonist in to show up obi wan at every possible opportunity because vagina.

Dont assume, for a second, that Kennedy has learned a thing from Mandalorian's success.

Last edited:
If the scripts were thrown out to appease Kennedy, you can rest assured this series will be absolutely boring prat, on par with the snore fest that is the sequel trilogy. I assume rian johnson will be made director soon, or will shoehorn a female protagonist in to show up obi wan at every possible opportunity because vagina.

Dont assume, for a second, that Kennedy has learned a thing from Mandalorian's success.
Wow! Is there anything that you like that has a strong female lead?

If it was because it was too similar to The Mandelorian, I cannot say that I disagree with this decision. Di$ney has caught a lot of well-deserved flack because The Farce Awakens was a basic, and exceptionally boring, IMO, remake of "A New Hope".

Even the Oscar winners cannot, necessarily, come up with compelling stories all the time. I could just imagine the trashing the series would get if it was The Mandelorian by another name. I am interested in what they come up with, but if its just a boring remake of a current series, I'll pass.

I am definitely interested in seeing Di$ney's final season of The Clone Wars, and I am also definitely interested in seeing the sequel series to Rebels as both, IMO, were superb series far beyond the crappy soap operas that were the movies. Both have strong, and compelling, female characters so I am sure there are some that would have no interest, but I welcome them. For me, the body that a strong, compelling character wears is of little consequence. I like my women strong.

Last edited:
? Pathetic strawman. Any character that sells themselves as " a strong female lead" is pathetic trash. good characters are defined by their actions, not their genetalia.I like good charcters, not caricatures of social justice.

Films like Fargo, Alien, and Terminator have great characters, who are women. Their characters are not built on "I am stronk womanz", they are built on genuine character traits and actions in the film. These characters can be hurt, they can lose fights, they have to train or sacrifice in some way to gain the power/talent/abilities they use, and have to interact with other characters as opposed to spouting one liners and instantly knowing everything they need to. They can rely on supporting characters, show emotion, and are, you know, characters that feel HUMAN.

Films like Captian Marvel and the Sequel trilogy, On the other hand, use caricatures of social justice. They are "strong women", and as such they are not allowed to show any weakness, for that would be "giving into the patriarchy". So the charicatures become Mary Sues, exerting no effort to aquire their limitless talents and abilities, everyone loves them, including the bad guys, the script is full of events that can be sumed up as "you GO girl!", any emotions they do exibit are exaggerated to the pont of looney toon silliness, and their gender is used to ward of any criticism, using the very tactic you just used, insinuating that dislike of disneys "stronk wamen" is equivelant to disliking female leads, as if the two are in any way the same.

Learn the differenc between a "strong female character" and a "strong character that is female". It is a subtle, yet monumental difference in character development.

? Pathetic strawman.<...>

Films like Fargo, Alien, and Terminator have great characters, who are women. Their characters are not built on "I am stronk womanz", they are built on genuine character traits and actions in the film. These characters can be hurt, they can lose fights, they have to train or sacrifice in some way to gain the power/talent/abilities they use, and have to interact with other characters as opposed to spouting one liners and instantly knowing everything they need to. They can rely on supporting characters, show emotion, and are, you know, characters that feel HUMAN.
If Alien had been released today, it would have been touted for its strong female character. Its the times, like it or not - IMO.

Films like Captian Marvel and the Sequel trilogy, On the other hand, use caricatures of social justice. They are "strong women", and as such they are not allowed to show any weakness, for that would be "giving into the patriarchy". So the charicatures become Mary Sues, exerting no effort to aquire their limitless talents and abilities, everyone loves them, including the bad guys, the script is full of events that can be sumed up as "you GO girl!", any emotions they do exibit are exaggerated to the pont of looney toon silliness, and their gender is used to ward of any criticism, using the very tactic you just used, insinuating that dislike of disneys "stronk wamen" is equivelant to disliking female leads, as if the two are in any way the same.
Did you see Captian Marvel? Or did you see her in Endgame?

Learn the differenc between a "strong female character" and a "strong character that is female". It is a subtle, yet monumental difference in character development.
I think you should take your own advice.

"Social justice" in popular literature/media is, IMO, a result of the oppression of those for whom the "social justice" advocates in a world where equality and freedom are touted as a matter of fact; but, as a matter of fact, are eviscerated by those who tout equality and freedom though they are more interested in ensuring that everyone is OK because they are just like them.

Science-fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blind critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, it's essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."
- From the end of the 200th episode of Stargate SG-1.

For me, I would replace "Science fiction" with "fiction".

Last edited:

The Alien movies with sigourney weaver were excellent.
Wonder Woman with Gal Godat I enjoyed.
Liked Charlize Theron in atomic blonde.
Kate Beckinsale was great in all the underworld movies.
Uma Thurman was great in the kill bill movies.
Linda Hamilton was great in T2.

There have been many over the decades that are great. Kathleen Kennedy is a joke and deserves the hate. She shouldn't be touching anything star wars if it was up to me.

There have been many over the decades that are great. Kathleen Kennedy is a joke and deserves the hate. She shouldn't be touching anything star wars if it was up to me.
I did not see Atomic Blond or any of the Kate Beckinsale movies you mention, however, I did see the others and agree.

Honestly? I totally blame JJ Abrams for "The Farce Awakens" not to mention another trash treatment from him ST: Into Darkness.

Personally, I think there were people out there that did not like TLJ because it delved more deeply into the mystical.

And there are many out there that regarded Rogue One as an excellent entry into the SW universe. Guess who was also involved in that.... you guessed it - Kathleen Kennedy.

Last edited:
Honestly? I totally blame JJ Abrams for "The Farce Awakens" not to mention another trash treatment from him ST: Into Darkness

I'm always been on the fence with JJ lets over use lens flare Abrams.

I have enjoyed the remake of Star trek but he isn't my favorite.

I would add Milla Jovovich, particularly in the Resident Evil series. Then there's Star Trek Voyager with plenty of great female leads.
Kate Mulgrew in particular was awesome.

I did not see Atomic Blond or any of the Kate Beckinsale movies you mention, however, I did see the others and agree.

Honestly? I totally blame JJ Abrams for "The Farce Awakens" not to mention another trash treatment from him ST: Into Darkness.

Personally, I think there were people out there that did not like TLJ because it delved more deeply into the mystical.

And there are many out there that regarded Rogue One as an excellent entry into the SW universe. Guess who was also involved in that.... you guessed it - Kathleen Kennedy.

I got free tickets to the last jedi and I didn't like it.

And the primary reason I didn't like it was the total 180 character change of Luke Sky walker.

However I will give her credit for Rogue one as I also found it to be excellent.

so with me she is 1 out 4 with the new stuff that has come out.

I got free tickets to the last jedi and I didn't like it.

And the primary reason I didn't like it was the total 180 character change of Luke Sky walker.

However I will give her credit for Rogue one as I also found it to be excellent.

so with me she is 1 out 4 with the new stuff that has come out.
I wonder how much control she has over the projects she is assigned to.

Honestly, I am not all that hot on any of the Star Wars movies. They all seem too much like a soap opera; there is far more story there, IMO and it has yet to be told. I like storytelling.

I do, however, like the animated series The Clone Wars, and I also liked Rebels very much because they expanded the SW universe, IMO.

Maybe someone will tell Luke's story and why he turned 180. I particularly did not like that aspect myself, however, I thought he still acted as a hero would act.

As I see it, his turn may have been a statement against the worst aspects of an organized order that is religious in nature where the rules are inflexible and represent what is supposed to be the ultimate path to follow. As humanity's history shows, such organizations can and have lead them to act in ways that are antithetical, IMO, to what they hold dear while they continue to claim they still hold those values dear.

I don't see anyone as being able to offer an ultimate path. While some are capable of pointing in the right direction, IMO, the only one that can find and follow an ultimate path is one's self.

He was not the only one in the SW universe to turn. Ashoka Tano did so in The Clone Wars and, IMO, her character was all the better for it. However, I will not post spoilers. :)

PS - The droids in The Clone Wars are hilarious! :laughing:

? Pathetic strawman. Any character that sells themselves as " a strong female lead" is pathetic trash. good characters are defined by their actions, not their genetalia.I like good charcters, not caricatures of social justice.

Agree with you on the first half and the sequel trilogy, but Captain Marvel was pretty true to the comics. Go and read them before you attack a film for literally accurately portraying a character.

Back