OCZ accelerates DRAM market exit to focus on SSDs

Jos

Staff

OCZ Technology is a US-based manufacturer of computer hardware known for targeting its products primarily at the enthusiast market, first producing performance DDR RAM, USB drives and various cooling products.

But in recent years the company has expanded its product portfolio, and without a doubt one area where it is seeing rapid growth is in the solid-state drive market. In fact, that business unit accounted for 73% of revenue in the last quarter.

The company says SSD revenues reached a record $41.5 million in fiscal Q3 2011, an increase of 325% over the year-ago period’s $9.8 million and a 105% increase sequentially over Q2 2011 SSD revenues of $20.2 million.

To put things into perspective, OCZ said that solid-state drive revenue itself exceeds their historical quarterly revenue totals across all categories. This combined with the overall weakness in the global DRAM market has prompted the company to accelerate their previously announced plans to stop selling its dynamic random access memory products.

Overall the company reported a loss of $8.3 million, or 29 cents a share, for the three months ended November 30, but the company seems confident about its future given the steady growth of the SSD market.

Just last week OCZ showcased their upcoming Vertex 3 line, which feature a next generation SandForce controller capable of pushing maximum read speeds of 550MB/s and maximum write speeds of 525MB/s over a 6Gbps SATA III interface.

Permalink to story.

OCZ putting all their eggs in one basket at the expense of their - until recent years - core business. Can't see that backfiring down the road at all.

wahhhh? I love OCZ reaper ram. I have both DDR2 and DDR3 versions of it. I've put it in every high end build I've had for the past few years. I guess I will have to go with corsair or something. I know OCZ's not the best but it looks F*ing cool. I will pick up up another 4gb kit and not upgrade until DDR4.

Hmm, i missed that previous announcement, but I guess that explains the dwindling selection on Newegg. I've used OCZ RAM and PSUs in all my builds. I had one stick of DDR RAM go bad after 4 years, and got a new matched set for free as a replacement.

I'm not sure why anyone would buy OCZ RAM now because if there is a warranty issue, soon there will be nothing to replace it with. I'm not saying it's not any good but just their RAM warranty won't be.

That would put me off purchasing it as well. Its a shame really, because I had my eye on a good deal on OCZ RAM, now I know why its a good deal. :haha:

I'm not sure why anyone would buy OCZ RAM now because if there is a warranty issue, soon there will be nothing to replace it with. I'm not saying it's not any good but just their RAM warranty won't be.

people who don't care about the warrenty. Pick up some cheap ram to throw in a couple of builds.

Back