OCZ announces Synapse SSD series for caching

Jos

Staff

OCZ has unveiled a new series of solid-state drives designed specifically for caching applications in an SSD/HDD hybrid storage setup. The new Synapse SSDs are limited to 64GB and 128GB sizes, and come bundled with the Dataplex cache software from NVELO to dynamically move the most frequently accessed files to the SSD, delivering them faster from the on-board NAND rather than the hard drive's platters but without sacrificing storage capacity.

The idea is similar to Intel's Smart Response Technology, though the latter is limited to 64GB. Compared to simply having an SSD boot drive, caching can be very useful because you don't have to decide what goes to the SSD and what doesn't -- the software adapts to user behavior so the performance gains will theoretically improve over time.

ocz synapse ssd storage ssd synapse

The drive itself is packed in a 2.5-inch case, uses the SATA 6.0Gbps interface and features MLC NAND flash chips along the SandForce SF-2281 controller. OCZ says it will deliver up to 550MB/s and 480MB/s read and write speeds for the 64GB model, with 75,000 IOPS, and up to 550MB/s and 510MB/s read and write speeds for the 128GB variant, with up to 80,000 IOPS.

As you'd expect the Synapse Cache series also features TRIM support as well as ECC recovery and data encryption. OCZ is backing these with a three-year warranty and should have them in store shelves soon. Unfortunately, the company didn't reveal pricing details for its latest SSD and they've yet to show up online as of this writing.

Permalink to story.

Cool. Caching is the future -- along with moving everything to flash ROM someday... with backup provided either by HDD or SSD.

This is the most interested SSD idea i've seen so far... So many things my PC uses my HD for I don't really care if it's fast. Anything like Window's loading, app loading, large file copying... I don't care if it's slow. But game screen loading... that'd be nice to speed up.

Love it :) Lets hope its semi-affordable. I bet it'll run with the mainstream prices out today which is still a bit high for me. Lets hope Black Friday and Christmas sales bring out good deals on these items that are expensive today.

Is this technology exclusive to ocz? or are we going to see this with more companies with their own versions?

Interesting idea. I think its success will depend on how much control the user has over the caching algoithm and how effective it is. If done well it could be really great as it could have all your small files on the SSD with larger ones (where sequential read speed vs access time is more important), on the HDD. Data Writing is always an issue with these setups though as that is pretty much completely dependent on the lowest speed device.

64GB (32GB cache capacity): SYN-25SAT3-64G
128GB (64GB cache capacity): SYN-25SAT3-128G

NOTE: Synapse Series features 50% NAND flash overprovisiong to accommodate performance and software features

OUCH! Just saw this at OCZ's website. (I wish there was a law or smthing that would make SSD makers only show the actual GB . this overprovisioning stuff really gets on my nerves)

compdata said:
could have all your small files on the SSD with larger ones (where sequential read speed vs access time is more important), on the HDD.

Hmm... I'm unsure about that. For me, I need a fast-access storage device to play back streaming samples. The same COULD potentially be true of certain video editing platforms, although I am unsure about that as well.

Basically, anything that gets transferred to memory will of course have the highest priority when it comes to seek times, if I'm not mistaken. But basically, we're looking at an incredible system pretty much no matter what.

Right now, the fastest HD in my system is 7200 RPM with a 32 MB cache. Even a second-generation (SATA II) SSD can blow my little system off the grid. And the newest devices would eat my poor home-made rig for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacktime.

:)

At any rate, I'm not really picking a bone with you. I'm just musing on what you brought up.

- S

Back