OCZ introduces TLC NAND in new budget Trion T100 SSD

JoshuaHem

Solid State Drives have long been the big "next thing" in storage technology, promising incredible leaps in performance, power consumption, and overall daily drive. Without any moving parts and advancements in technology, SSDs have largely delivered, becoming staples for many computers and mobile devices. Offering boot times less than 20 seconds long and absurdly fast loading speeds, they are a favorite of gamers, enthusiasts, and workers alike.

Unfortunately, early in their lifetimes many SSD manufacturers were of somewhat sub-par quality, taking advantage of a field that had yet to slim itself down to cut-throat margins and performance.

OCZ is one of those brands that enthusiasts have kept an eye on. Intel, Samsung, Sandisk and others have put out solid drives, many for great price points. OCZ has put out drives that seem to perform as well, but their track record has put their reliability somewhat in doubt. The company went bankrupt and was acquired by Toshiba, who has been working on improving both the reality and perception of OCZ drive reliability. We may soon know if these efforts are paying off as OCZ has launched its new Trion T100 SSD, the first OCZ drive built by Toshiba. The drive makes use of TLC NAND, the same technology used in drives like the Samsung 840 EVO, and the first to use Toshiba's TLC chips.

The Trion T100 is an entry-level drive, available in configurations from 120GB to 960GB. It offers an estimated 550MB/s sequential read and around 500MB/s sequential write, depending on the capacity. Benchmarks show that the drive lives up to its budget name, offering performance that, though significantly better than a mechanical hard drive, doesn't quite live up to the big names in the market. Still, it is a promising product for OCZ and represents something important: a push toward a brighter future for the company and the OCZ brand.

Header image credit: AnandTech

Permalink to story.

I've never had any problems with OCZ drives and I have 3 of them, one being an old 60 GB Agility 2 or 3 still in daily use. Maybe I've just been lucky thus far.

Just read an Anandtech review of this drive. Not good. Not good at all in fact. Not in performance and not in price.

500MB/s is that a joke? Intel 750 can read up to 2,7GB/s and ADATA has model that top 3GB/s today...

Ummm... Yeah.

Did you know that a Ferrari 458 was faster than a Mazda 3...

Hope you were joking about that... But I doubt it.

500MB/s is that a joke? Intel 750 can read up to 2,7GB/s and ADATA has model that top 3GB/s today...
And neither of those run off the vanilla SATA interface (or any SATA bus at all), where the Trion does. You're comparing apples to oranges.

To wit: The intel 750 is a PCIe Card based SSD, and Adata's SR1020 which you reference to also runs off of PCIe, but in a 2.5" drive form factor. The performance characteristics of these drives (and price point) are completely different.

Last edited:
And neither of those run off the vanilla SATA interface (or any SATA bus at all), where the Trion does. You're comparing apples to oranges.

To wit: The intel 750 is a PCIe Card based SSD, and Adata's SR1020 which you reference to also runs off of PCIe, but in a 2.5" drive form factor. The performance characteristics of these drives (and price point) are completely different.

Intel 750 has a M.2 adapter:
"The SSD 750 is available in two form factors: a traditional half-height, half-length add-in card and 2.5" 15mm drive."

"The SFF-8639 is essentially SATA Express on steroids and offers four lanes of PCIe connectivity for up to 4GB/s of bandwidth with PCIe 3.0 (although in real world the maximum bandwidth is about 3.2GB/s due to PCIe inefficiency)."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client

Again 500MB, is that a JOKE??? :)

"The SSD 750 is available in two form factors: a traditional half-height, half-length add-in card and 2.5" 15mm drive."

"The SFF-8639 is essentially SATA Express on steroids and offers four lanes of PCIe connectivity for up to 4GB/s of bandwidth with PCIe 3.0 (although in real world the maximum bandwidth is about 3.2GB/s due to PCIe inefficiency)."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client

Again you are looking at the wrong market. First who has m.2? On desktop it's practically zero. On laptop it's slightly more than zero but still, it's sfa.

Next PCIe, you need a relatively modern mobo and run Win 8 or better for TRIM support. Who wants to run Win 8? Not most people.

So if you want a SSD, chances are your target is SATA 3. Which is this drive.

Who wants to run Win 8? Not most people.
One thing I can agree with.

On the rest you seem to insist people will get SSD to upgrade old computer... Most people will look at new build which means new MB which means people will know what M.2 is.
If you know that you need SSD you either know something about computers and will have better MB or you are building from scratch. Either way just looking at the specs at least I know what will choose.

I'm definitely laughing at your question.
Keep laughing in the 500MB lane then :D I wont mind you! Some people are fine with a Toyota Prius too, but I am sure I laugh better in my sports car. Hahhaha!

Keep laughing in the 500MB lane then :D I wont mind you!
I'm laughing because you seem to be delusional in thinking there can be faster SSD's than 600MB's on a SATA interface. If you want faster, stop looking at drives designed for SATA. Just don't frown at the price tag, if you do! It is the mental image of your frown, when you realize we don't care how fast you are, that is keeping me hysterical.

Alienware aren't putting m.2 into their desktops. And that's a $5k desktop. System builders could do m.2 but to be honest, there aren't many m.2 drives out there. The support online will be poor or nonexistent.

I could do m.2 but SATA is just so much better value. You get stability, support, value for money. You are taking a HUGE risk on m.2 at this stage on Windows. When something goes wrong (and let's face it, Intel has been very poor with SATA3 yet they are the best out there), you are stuck. A handful of people on forums if you are lucky may be able to help.

Comparing my SATA3 SSD to a ramdrive (up to 32GB), I had trouble finding significant gains on anything I use day to day. VS builds, mainstream gaming.

So back to the original point. This is a product targeted at 99% of the desktop market. You are trying to compare with a MUCH more expensive product with virtual zero market who would buy it today.

I'm laughing because you seem to be delusional in thinking there can be faster SSD's than 600MB's on a SATA interface. If you want faster, stop looking at drives designed for SATA. Just don't frown at the price tag, if you do! It is the mental image of your frown, when you realize we don't care how fast you are, that is keeping me hysterical.
I have never said SATA can be faster, in fact it cannot even reach 600MB/s...

Now lets see the price:
According to the original article 480GB OCZ costs $185. And that is most probably not going to be the case in the store.
While:
Intel 750 Series SSDPE2MW400G4R5 2.5" 400GB costs $413.82 at newegg.

Only 2,5x the price for 5x the performance for the SAME capacity :)

You are starting to embarrass yourself now.

Requires SFF-8643 Connector on Motherboard

And just how many people do you know has a SFF-8643 connector in their PC? I know I don't! So the extra 5x performance is irrelevant, meaning I can save 150% on a cheaper SATA drive. As stated above, this drive is designed for mainstream market. I'm not embarrassed at all with the limitation of my machine, and I know I have a better one than 80% of the market.

Wouldn't it be possible to parallel SATA drives? ie, 1 drive that splits into 2 SATA ports to redistribute the speed to overcome SATA limitations? I know, get RAID 0 but that obviously wouldn't be the same thing and of course, not everyone has 2+ PCIe slots as usually they are occupied by SLI/Xfire.

Never, ever will I buy an OCZ product again. I don't care who owns the brand now. They shall be forever associated with bad products in my eyes. Still have my Vertex 2 here that is stuck in that infinite locked up state due to the company not wanting to release a fix to the public.

Who wants to run Win 8? Not most people.

On the rest you seem to insist people will get SSD to upgrade old computer... Most people will look at new build which means new MB which means people will know what M.2 is.
If you know that you need SSD you either know something about computers and will have better MB or you are building from scratch. Either way just looking at the specs at least I know what will choose.

I'm definitely laughing at your question.
Keep laughing in the 500MB lane then :D I wont mind you! Some people are fine with a Toyota Prius too, but I am sure I laugh better in my sports car. Hahhaha!

Jokes on you. Everyone knows, that sequential speeds matter very little with SSDs. its random performance and access that matter.

But as always, people fall for shiny sequential numbers.

Everyone knows, that sequential speeds matter very little with SSDs. its random performance and access that matter.
If you are talking about the sequential speed of a mechanical drive you are a bit lost on the conversation. No one is talking about mechanical. Both SATA and NVME specifications which we are talking about have better random performance than mechanical drives can provide.

From PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2904...ast-only-the-highest-end-pcs-can-keep-up.html)
You’ll need the SFF-8639 to SFF-8643 (mini SAS) cable Intel provides, plus a SFF-8643 to M.2/SATA power connector adapter provided by your motherboard manufacturer.
That first requires the motherboard to have m.2 connector, and then requires that motherboard to come with a likely fairly rare bundled cable. Two added costs if you don't already have it.
You’ll also need an M.2 connection with x4 PCIe 3.0 connections from the CPU to exploit the full potential of the Intel 750 series, or any NVMe drive. Most M.2 connections are Gen 2 PCIe from the chipset, including those wired to Intel’s latest X99. Even if they were Gen 3, the DMI bus feeding the chipset is limited to 2GBps. That’s a significant bottleneck, given that we saw 2.5GBps in certain benchmarks with the expansion card model and have seen reports of 3.5GBps.
I don't see any tests involved in that configuration but in addition to the added costs you'll potentially be losing more performance than you realize, which will significantly reduce it's price to performance ratio.

Upgrading to an SSD for an OS drive is the single most impactful upgrade you can make to a computer that does not have one. It makes plenty sense to increase the lifespan of a computer without trying to replace half of the internal components for a technology upgrade. I know someone who only just now got to his first SSD (of the SATA kind), but still uses some parts as far back as 2011 (motherboard included) and has saved quite a bit along the way only doing upgrades as needed.

Also, your PCIe card SSDs and your 2.5" form factor version of the 750 will not work in any laptop. The former is obvious, and the later is because of the adapters you need to make it work. Most average laptops still use the 2.5" form factor for drive storage, or if they do have a M.2 slot, it's keyed for mSATA. which will not work with these performance kings. mSATA/SATA will still be long relevant in the laptop market.
I have never said SATA can be faster, in fact it cannot even reach 600MB/s...

Now lets see the price:
According to the original article 480GB OCZ costs $185. And that is most probably not going to be the case in the store.
While:

Only 2,5x the price for 5x the performance for the SAME capacity :)

You are starting to embarrass yourself now.
Trust me, I've already justified putting in a Samsung SM951 into my next computer (I'll be sure to have an m.2 slot on my motherboard), but for others price to performance does not mean ANYTHING if they are on a budget you're trying to keep. Absolute budgets limit Absolutely.

Your turn~

Last edited:
@cliffordcooley "If you are talking about the sequential speed of a mechanical drive you are a bit lost on the conversation. No one is talking about mechanical. Both SATA and NVME specifications which we are talking about have better random performance than mechanical drives can provide."

Are you drunk? You can clearly see he is quoting somebody and it is obvious he is quoting guy with SSD in mind. Please read every comment before posting.

Wouldn't it be possible to parallel SATA drives? ie, 1 drive that splits into 2 SATA ports to redistribute the speed to overcome SATA limitations? I know, get RAID 0 but that obviously wouldn't be the same thing and of course, not everyone has 2+ PCIe slots as usually they are occupied by SLI/Xfire.
RAID-0 isn't a bad option for SSDs as long as you make sure you have your important data backed up! Tbh I think RAID-0 on SSDs is far better than mechanical drives nowadays.

Jokes on you. Everyone knows, that sequential speeds matter very little with SSDs. its random performance and access that matter.

But as always, people fall for shiny sequential numbers.

I was not going to reply anymore but such FUD has to be shot down!

"Our 4K write latency tests showed that the 750 had the lowest average latency with 0.0177ms"
http://www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_750_review
So it beats you both in random and in sequential x5... try harder next time.
Jokes back on you. Haha!

Last edited:
Back