OCZ releases Vertex 4 SSD featuring Indilinx Everest 2 controller

Shawn Knight

Staff member

OCZ Technology has released the Vertex 4 SATA III solid state drive featuring the Indilinx Everest 2 controller. The San Jose-based company notes that the latest iteration in the Vertex line is good for up to 535MB/s sustained sequential read speeds and 120,000 IOPS.

Astute observers will note that the overall read speeds are a touch slower than the Vertex 3 but doubling the IOPS more than makes up for any shortcomings in real-world use. Additionally, OCZ’s Ndurance 2.0 software embedded within the Everest 2 platform is said to extend NAND flash life well beyond manufacturer-rated specifications.

The Indilinix controller is a notable change in the Vertex line as the past two revisions were powered by SandForce chips, but it’s not all unfamiliar territory. The original Vertex launched in 2009 included an Indilinix Barefoot controller before the second generation SSD moved to SandForce in 2010.

Following the company’s public departure from the DRAM memory market in early 2011, they purchased Indilinx shortly after and set about releasing the Octane SSD in October built with the original Everest controller. This was the first solid state drive to reach the 1TB capacity mark in a 2.5-inch form factor. The Vertex 4 is the first to use the Everest 2 platform, however.

Early reviews from around the net are favorable with the three publications I checked all giving the drive a “recommended” or similar approval rating.

The Vertex 4 is available now in capacities ranging from 128GB up to 512GB and is backed with a five year warranty (two years longer than the Vertex 3). Pricing starts at $179 for the 128GB unit and tops out at $699 for the 512GB model.

Permalink to story.

My less-than-two-year-old OCZ Agility (Indilinx-based) SSD inexplicably bricked itself just yesterday, and I have no recovery options. I'll definitely be staying away from OCZ in the future.

Ya I had some Vertex and Vertex 2 drives. When they worked they were great...but they were flaky occasionally which made me decide to go with Crucial this upgrade cycle..I want reliability more than anything and the reviews indicate that with Crucial SSD. So far so good. No more OCZ for me either.

I’ve been thru two ‘bricked’ Vertex2 90g SSD’z and finally running stable on the last OCZ replaced for me which was an Agiliy3 120g SSD instead with a newer SandForce controller. In dealing with the first two RMA’z I realized that there was a rather LARGE amount of people experiencing the same problems I had on the Vertex2’z which makes me think the change to (and purchase) of the Indilinx technology wasn’t a coincidence.

Crucial has a better than 80% chance at a full life..
OCZ has a better than 30% chance at a full life...

Hmmm.. A No Brainer.. Stay away from something that has had a bad History of failure rates..

Crucial is what I am staying with, I had a couple for 2 yrs, and still screaming.. :) they are.

OCZ is a reliable company, they just got massive critics with sandforce on Vertex3's especially.
But since the firmware updates my Vertex3 is really good in speed and also reliable (Not one single BSOD since).
I won't be upgradin my SSD this soon for a Vertex4 though.
Vertex5 or 6 maybe :D:D

Yeap OCZ have done alright by me. Sandybridge + Vertex3 had some early firmware issues but running 2x Vertex 3s atm and they are absolutely brilliant. Haven't missed a beat and haven't had BSODs from them since very early firmwares.

Performance is just night and day vs a hard drive.

Will be watching the Vertex 4's with interest!

Back