OCZ Technology: Gone But Not Forgotten

Blast from the past!

I had OCZ Gold DDR2 (8GB) RAM kit and one of their 550W PSU's in my 2009 era dual core Black Edition Phenom II X2 550 build.

Both were trouble free for the 3-4yrs I ran it, which was longer than I anticipated keeping it because I was able to unlock 2 extra cores on the 550, making it a full on Quad Core!

I saw their SSD and I just wasn't sure about them because I felt their marketing was weak and I didn't want to take a chance on them. I ended up with Crucial and Samsung as my SSD suppliers instead.

The Sandforce controller ended up hurting OCZ more than any other company that used it. Sandforce was fast, but downside is your drive could just stop working. Nearly everyone using that Sandforce controller had problems, but OCZ by far took the biggest hit to their rep.

Otherwise OCZ used to be a pretty decent company. I for sure was rocking OCZ Memory during the DDR2 days. They had some of the best.

The Sandforce controller ended up hurting OCZ more than any other company that used it. Sandforce was fast, but downside is your drive could just stop working. Nearly everyone using that Sandforce controller had problems, but OCZ by far took the biggest hit to their rep.

Otherwise OCZ used to be a pretty decent company. I for sure was rocking OCZ Memory during the DDR2 days. They had some of the best.
Yep, the Sandforce debacle killed their reputation for me. It was a horror show at the time.

12 years on, My brother's PC (one of My former machines) is still running two sticks of DDR2 from OCZ, Q9550 cooled by OCZ Vendetta2 (fan replaced by generic SilentiumPC one) and everything powered by OCZ branded OCZ600SXS, fan also replaced by some generic Cooler Master fan.

I remember salivating over early OCZ SSDs in high school. 150MB/s read speeds sounded insane, the HDD at the time I had hit about 20 on a good day and ran hotter then the sun.

By the time I got to a place that I could afford to build a big PC, OCZ had been long overshadowed by the two big dogs: crucial and samsung. Other brands like crosair offered larger capacity drives for cheaper then OCSZ with the same controllers. Shame they stopped maiing memory, we could really use some more competition in that market today.

I've still got an OCZ 6gb triple channel kit running in my x58 system. More than a decade old at this point and no complaints there. I did have one of their SSDs with the sandforce that killed my OS lol

Only thing I remember was ppl losing their minds over early OCZ SSD's and trying to make them work on P35/P45 Eaglelake chipset boards.

I never owned an OCZ product. My DDR2 RAM modules for my QX9650 Yorkfield system were of the Kingston brand and I used a WD 512 MB HDD sans raid as my main hdd, heh.

Ive owned several OCZ memory kits over the years and even returned some for having bad sticks. Pissed that they purchased PC P&W as they ran that brand into the ground.

Nearly everybody on this board had some sort of product of OCZ in their rigs. I did, but it's too far back for me to remember what I exactly had. Memory?

My first modular PSU was an OCZ Modstream, great PSU, still works afaik. A relative had a couple of their SSDs, and I think I too used one of their memory kits back in the before time.

I only bought their DDR2 memory chip, nothing else. I went with Crucial and Samsung for my SSD needs.

Oh OCZ. I remember a mouse I purchased of theirs that died 5 times and was RMA'd 5 times. I eventually gave up and bought logitech. Never before have I see such failure.

I had a Fatality 650 watt PSU for a few years, worked out decently for the testing that I used it for, replaced it with a EVGA drive in 2015 been using them for my PSUs since then.

My first SSD was ocz in an e8600 rig that was at nearly 5ghz, 24/7 overclock, in a cobbled circa early DIY liquid kit. I felt so cool...

I believe I had a set or two in a A64 3200+/ X2 4200+ and Q6600. Never had an issue and I think I overclocked a bit with no issues. The gold with the mesh was quite a design. Heck they look way better than my current Ripjaw V's (boring black) in my 3700X rig.

The brand was big at Frys and TigerDirect if I recall correctly. Never tried their PSU's but they looked good. I was more of a CM/Tt/Silverstone/PCP&C back then. I do recall buying they SSD back in 2014-2015~ but at that point it was owned by Toshiba?

My first modular PSU was an OCZ Modstream, great PSU, still works afaik. A relative had a couple of their SSDs, and I think I too used one of their memory kits back in the before time.

Yep I'm still using a 850watt OCZ pzu in my Ryzen rig. Still going strong. I had a OCZ SSD once in the past as well, but that went belly up when it just upped and died a long time ago.

I bought a custom PC Power & Cooling PSU for my first Dell desktop, which had stupid proprietary power connectors to the motherboard. My first step in upgrading a computer.

OCZ was legit, I started using OCZ when SSD just came to market. Their Vertex brand of SSDs had the fastest read/write speeds at the time.

In my primary PC I still use a ~4 yr old 512GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe SSD, which is an OCZ design IIRC. It was the best affordable option for early high-performance NVMe SSDs when the Samsung 950 cost 75% more for 5-10% more performance in some conditions. Still don't have a Sammy NVMe because the Sammy tax is too high. Without a good Toshiba/OCZ followup, I go with HP and WD Black now.

I have never used OCZ. While I know of the brand, they never interested me enough to use them. My SSDs have been Samsung and SanDisk aka WD now. While there are now many drives out that can match or beat Samsung I still like n use them. To me its not just about price but also quality. Some cheaper companies can and do perform as good or better than Samsung but they also dont typically have the quality By that I mean reliability/longivity. My main SSD has always been Samsung and until there is a reason to change, itll be my first choice. My backup 1TB SSD will be whatever gets the best performance. The SanDisk I have had the same performance as a Samsung SSD at the time.

*My first SSD was just a regular Samsung SSD 930 pro I think. I now use a Samsung m.2 pro plus.

Back