OCZ unveils 3.5-inch 1TB Colossus SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Enthusiast hardware manufacturer OCZ is expanding their existing SSD line with the introduction of a new drive, appropriately named Colossus. The new offering is designed to fit in a standard 3.5-inch bay, rather than using the smaller 2.5-inch format most SSDs have accustomed us to, and will come in both 512GB and 1TB capacities with blazing fast read and writes speeds of around 265MB/s.

According to PC Perspective, the drive will use a pair of Indilinx controllers coupled together in a RAID 0 array with a JMicron RAID controller. Its larger form factor is touted as a benefit in that this drive will fit properly in any chassis on the market, without the need for converter brackets, and will also work in standard hot-swap drive bays. Pricing remains unknown at this point, but you can probably expect to pay dearly for one of these when they hit the market in approximately eight weeks.

Permalink to story.

I found to be somewhat of an annoyance to use an adapter for installing a SSD on my desktop system. On that regard, case manufacturers, especially those aiming at the DIY and enthusiast sector should start offering cases with at least a couple of 2.5" bays inside from now on.

I don't believe drive manufacturers should start making 3.5" drives just because they are meant to be used on desktop systems. Let alone the fact that unlike other kind of upgrades that are negated in the mobile world, laptop users seem very keen on upgrading to SSDs for speed and durability.

J-micron... really? I've had enough trouble with various J-micron products that it might put me off of a drive like this.

Uhm... from what I've read this doesn't use the new controllers, which specifically remove the issues with past JMicron controllers.
We all know the RAID and pairs of controllers are to bypass JMicron's issues, so why even bother bringing this drive on the market?!

@ Captain828

Apparently you should work on your reading comprehension. The article clearly states that they are using Indilinx controllers with a JMicron *RAID* controller.

Julio,

THey make adapters to mount2.5 inch drives in 3.5 inch bays. They also make adapters to fit 3.5 inch HD's in 5.25 inch bays.

Guest said:
Julio,

THey make adapters to mount2.5 inch drives in 3.5 inch bays. They also make adapters to fit 3.5 inch HD's in 5.25 inch bays.

They also make corrective lenses to help you read. He specifically said he used the adapter to fit it in his case, kind of goes without saying that he know about the adapters, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back