OCZ unveils Agility series SSDs for mainstream users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

OCZ continues to expand their already impressive lineup of flash-based storage solutions, this time with the introduction of the Agility series of multi-level cell SSDs. The new 2.5-inch drives won’t outclass their current Vertex line, which in our tests emerged as the as the best value SSD option, but should still offer some pretty solid performance at supposedly affordable prices for mainstream notebook and desktop users.

The Agility series will be available in 30GB, 60GB and 120GB capacities and comes equipped with a 64MB onboard cache. Both the 60GB and 120GB models have a maximum read speed of 230MB/s and a maximum write speed of only 135MB/s, with sustained write speeds a bit slower at 80MB/s, while the 30GB model should offer more modest 185MB/s and 100MB/s read and write speeds. They all have an expected MTBF of 1.5 million hours and are backed by a two-year warranty.

The company has yet to disclose any pricing or availability details, but it did claim to have lowered the cost of these drives by using cheaper NAND flash memory, paired with an Indilinx controller for stutter-free operation. With the 30GB Vertex selling for around $135, it’s possible the lower-end Agility model will hit the $100 mark.

Permalink to story.

I think this is a nice option for secondary drives. I chose the faster SSD I did, knowing the demands of an operating system, like Windows Vista (and typical Windows o/s'). Slower sata/ide hds are very appropriate for storage and these (though I wouldn't get another one that's only 30-120GB) faster (though not optimal) will be fantastic for applications and gaming. I'll definitely think about investing in a slower SSD for my gaming needs, when they reach the size of 500gb+. I'll use the 2-4TB satas available for storage - much more affordable and it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back