Odd computer problem when in-games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I start I'd like to thank you for reading this and for any help you might be able to give me :D

Ok, so, I have this interesting problem when I play games. I have tried what seems to be everything, and I've finally run out of ideas, so I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts.

Here's what happens: Sometimes, randomly, during games, my monitor will shut off and lose it's connection to the computer. The computer will remain somewhat responsive for about 15 seconds, which I know because I was in a Skype call with several people that I could still talk to for about 15 seconds, but then that dropped too. The computer will then need to be rebooted.

Now, I know you all have your ideas by now, but heres where it gets weird. This only happens in certain games, and at no particular time. It has happened while I have played Half-Life 2 on lowest graphics possible, it has also happened while playing Halo 2, but only in one particular spot, but nowhere specific in said spot.

Now, I've started to gather some interesting info about the conditions in which this shutdown happens. The part in Halo 2 where it happens was a large room, if anyone has played the game it is the 2nd to last large room you visit in the last Master Chief leg of the game. I tripped all the enemies then rode an elevator back to where I had been, camped out for a while, then came back and was able to get through the room after most of the opposition had killed one another. Another thing: In half-life 2 the game seems to crash at moments when I'm doing multiple things i.e. I'm in the air boat going off a ramp with a bunch of guys shooting at me when I hit one of them as I land.

What confuses me is that it has NEVER happened when I have played Call of Duty 4 which is VERY visually intense and I run it at 125 FPS.

I've already assumed graphics card overheat, however, I ran Halo 2 in window mode while viewing a stasis monitor, and the last time I looked at the temps. (about 10 seconds before it crashed) none of them were higher than 50 degrees C.

So, needless to say, I'm stumped. Any thoughts are welcome: here are some specs. on my machine, any other info can be provided if needed.

Thanks again!

Specs:

Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66 GHz core voltage is 1.328V

Monitor: Sceptre x^9 with 12ms

Motherboard: p35-ds3l by Gigabyte

RAM: 2 sticks of 1 gig DDR2

That is a sometime symptom of the Sceptre monitor... which is not really designed for gaming... You might try a different monitor for comparison... But it could also be the video graphics card or port... but my money is on the monitor.

Can you borrow a monitor from a friend for an hour to see if the problem repeats itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back