Odd issue. Troublebooting, now fine

Lets start with my specs.
Motherboard - HDD - Ram - CPU - PSU - Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - NOT overclocked

So I built this computer probably 3 weeks ago. Went together without ANY problems...being my 1st build, I was pretty happy.

Today though, I started it up and ONLY had chrome open. Walked away, and when I came back, nothing would show up on the monitor. So I had to shut it down, and start it back up. Still nothing. So I put a card with DVI out (from an old computer) in, and still got nothing. Tried a different monitor; nothing. Lights/sound all normal coming from the motherboard.

{Fast forward 6-8 hours} I detach everything I didn't need....which wasn't much. Ended up booting with just PSU, Ram, Motherboard, and of course the CPU connected. Started up like normal, and since the HDD wasn't connected, it didn't find the OS. At this point I'm relieved, since it seems like the motherboard is fine. Turn it off, plug in HDD, start it up and it boots windows. Thing is, everything is open like it was when I had first turned it on this morning (before it crapped out). Just chrome with 2 tabs open. This is AFTER I completely unplugged the HDD....I'm trying to figure out how it did this. Either way, not even a minute later, the screen goes black again.

I shut it down, scratch my head, unplug HDD, and start back up....and here I am now (on the "problem" computer). Its running fine...Easytune6 says my CPU is at 35C and the system is at 29C....I don't believe it's a heat issue since the computer sat for almost half the day without running and still had issues.

My only guess is a failing HDD or underpowered system. Just figured these symptoms sound familiar to anybody?

I was thinking maybe the PSU was failing prematurely. If the other PSU isn't too much less, you could try swapping it out for testing purposes. Not a whole lot to lose except for the time and effort.

Back