Offline Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

I have a client whose laptop was set up so the My Documents folder maps directly to the F: drive in her work network. However, it also Synchronizes so she can Work Offline when out of the office. Click on My Documents, and the files open.

The problem is that she wants to run a backup utility when offsite to make sure she doesn;t loose anything. The utility will only recognize the C drive, and the My Documents folder does not appear anywhere in any of the user profiles. Clearly, the synchronized files are being kept SOMEWHERE on the local hard drive, but no one can figure out where. If you open a document and pull up the Properties, it says its location is F:\My Documents. All she wants to do is find that folder when the synchronization is done so she make sure is it backed up properly, and then so she can find the data if she need to do a recovery.

So - does anyone know where Windows XP SP3 stores synchronized files? Or, at the very least, does any know how to get Windows to tell you where to find them?

Thanks in advance.

if your logon script is set to map a drive to f: file sycronization should be setup to sync that drive. F: is not available offsite without some sort of VPN. It is not possible to do the way you have things setup. F: is a network drive at work so without access to it windows can't find it. You can do it if you rediect her my documents folder with policy

if your logon script is set to map a drive to f: file sycronization should be setup to sync that drive. F: is not available offsite without some sort of VPN. It is not possible to do the way you have things setup. F: is a network drive at work so without access to it windows can't find it. You can do it if you rediect her my documents folder with policy

I had the client disconnect from ALL networks, both LAN and WLAN - she can still open files in My Documents, and it still shows as F: drive. In My Computer, though, all it shows is the C: drive and the DVD drive.

in their original locations on C:\ D:\ E:\ or wherever they were created.
Ask her "What files are being Sync'd?" If she says My Documents, then the answere should be clear.

the location of the Sync control information will not assist you at all.

in their original locations on C:\ D:\ E:\ or wherever they were created.
Ask her "What files are being Sync'd?" If she says My Documents, then the answere should be clear.

the location of the Sync control information will not assist you at all.

The way her laptop was set up, My Documents maps to the F: drive on the local network. It was also set up so she could Synchronize the folder so she could access documents when offline, and then re-synchronize when she got back on.

The question is where in the devil those files live on her local drive when she is disconnected from the network. There is no F; drive in her My Computer, but if you right-click and pull up Properties on a document in the folder, it will show: "Location F:\My Documents"

She needs to know where the files reside locally so that when she runs a backup on the laptop, she knows which folders to save, and where to FIND IT if necessary. We have looked in all of the user profiles and such, and the synch-copy of F:\My Documents is NOT anywhere obvious.

F: drive on the local network​
then you need to find the Admin and locate that users Profile on the SERVER.
This is sometimes known as a Roaming Profile too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back