Old iPod, weak battery

fw2004

Hi;
I have had my iPod 20Gig 4th gen for about 5 years, and as expected the battery no longer holds a good charge. I usually have about 2 hours of listening (mostly to audio books), but when it was new, it was more like 5 or 6 hours.

I have continued to use this iPod mostly at home, charging it frequently, and sometimes leaving it connected to the charger while using it.
I have a slight concern about the Lithium battery in the unit, and whether an old battery could be more susceptible to explode while being charged.
I have been leaving the unit on charge overnight, but have never detected any heat in the unit or the charger while it is connected.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

FW

It is completely natural for the battery life to deteriorate over time. You most likely will be able to get the battery replaced at an apple store- here is a list of prices if you are interested:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#us

I would not worry about the battery exploding either. Although it happens on occasion, the number of cases I have heard of is in the single digits.

Thanks for the info.
I don't think I'm going to spend the money to replace the battery (I could do it myself), since the iPod is so old. I'll just keep using it on the AC power supply or the AA battery pack.

FW

Back