One external HDD doesn't work but others do

i've tried testdsk it did recover 27gb out of more than 1tb of files but it wouldn't do anymore than that. now it says it's unallocated and only 3.89gb when the actual size of my ext hd is 1.81tb in disc management and also it doesn't show up on my computer it did before as "local disk e" and now it's not showing up at all though it does show up in device manager. but no drive letter or anything

You could remove the drive from its housing and put it into a USB enclosure, then connect it to your computer that way to see if you can see any files

Is the "bad" hard drive IDE or SATA? Whatever it is, you can get a simple USB enclosure for either IDE or SATA drives. If you are expecting to leave the bad external hard drive in its case, there is not much you can do. This is an example of a simple USB to IDE or SATA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392002

it's a seagate freeagent goflex desk 2tb

we only shop at walmart.com for online stuff. is this it?

Code:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=hard+drive+enclosure&search_constraint=3944&tab_value=All&ic=32_0&ref=&search_sort=4&selected_items=+

If the bad hard drive is a laptop hard drive (2.5in) or a desktop hard drive (3.5 in) yes. You also have to know if the drive is serial ATA (SATA) or IDE

it's a freeagent goflex desk and how do i know if it's sata or ide? also i can't tell if it's desktop or laptop. i thought desk meant desktop. but when i connect to my desktop it hangs the loading windows (xp) and crashes windows explorer.

"desk" probably just refers to the external device sitting on a desktop as you figured. Are you going to replace the freeagent goflex desk or have it repaired

"desk" probably just refers to the external device sitting on a desktop as you figured. Are you going to replace the freeagent goflex desk or have it repaired

i've been trying hdd regen. i can't afford to either replace or repair it right now.

i just got early this yr so i think its still under warranty i just can't afford to repair it. i'm also trying recovermyfiles

Seagate might be able to save files for you... You should contact them and see what your repair options are, and if there will be any charges

Back