One of the USB... has malfunctioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyXB

I just purchased a Magellan 4250 GPS, when I connected it to my systems I get a "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". I get this on my Avertec 2370 laptop both when I connect it to one of the USB port on the laptop and to a powered USB hub. I then went downstairs to my Dell Precision 390 and connect it to the USB port (actually to both) and get the same error. Both system are running XP Pro. I assumed I have a defective GPS. Took it to work where I have a HP Kayak running Windows 2000 where I have installed a USB 2.0 / Firewire PCI card (since computer only had USB 1.1 support). Plugged the GPS into one of the USB ports, came up like a champ.

Now I am confused, what should be my next step. I could always do my custom POI update here at work, It is just unsettling to have two very diverse systems (ok, they have same OS) have the same error.

investigate the connection on the GOOD system.

is the GPS using an IP address? Should be visible in Network Magic 4.7

If so, record the IP address being used and then verify that address is NOT used
on your other system(s)

MartyXB said:
I just purchased a Magellan 4250 GPS, when I connected it to my systems I get a "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". I get this on my Avertec 2370 laptop both when I connect it to one of the USB port on the laptop and to a powered USB hub. I then went downstairs to my Dell Precision 390 and connect it to the USB port (actually to both) and get the same error. Both system are running XP Pro. I assumed I have a defective GPS. Took it to work where I have a HP Kayak running Windows 2000 where I have installed a USB 2.0 / Firewire PCI card (since computer only had USB 1.1 support). Plugged the GPS into one of the USB ports, came up like a champ.

Now I am confused, what should be my next step. I could always do my custom POI update here at work, It is just unsettling to have two very diverse systems (ok, they have same OS) have the same error.

If your GPS came with a driver disc, make sure you install the software + drivers for it first before you plug it in. Some GPS units also have user-configurable USB settings inside the unit itself to tell it what type of port to emulate. You should read the instruction booklet as well.

If it's working on any machine, it should work on the others as well - but keep in mind that some newer security suites are pretty draconian regarding connecting devices and could also play a part. Disable A/V suites during the installation of the drivers and device as well.

jobeard said:
investigate the connection on the GOOD system.

is the GPS using an IP address? Should be visible in ...
If so, record the IP address being used and then verify that address is NOT used
on your other system(s)

I am confused, the GPS is supposed to look like a hard drive with a drive letter, that is what it did on my Windows 2000 system, what does that have to do with IP addresses, I thought this is a USB issue, not a networking issue.

The GPS shouldn't be getting an IP over a USB connection.

Perhaps the GPS requires USB 2.0, although I'm not sure why that would happen either.

Soul Harvester said:
If your GPS came with a driver disc, make sure you install the software + drivers for it first before you plug it in. Some GPS units also have user-configurable USB settings inside the unit itself to tell it what type of port to emulate. You should read the instruction booklet as well.

If it's working on any machine, it should work on the others as well - but keep in mind that some newer security suites are pretty draconian regarding connecting devices and could also play a part. Disable A/V suites during the installation of the drivers and device as well.

No drivers, just a utility to manage and transfer custom points of interest file. Should be plug and play, I did turn off ZonaAlarm in case that got in the way, no difference. I will try tonight to boot up in safe mode to see it that makes any difference. I also forgot that I have two other laptops at home to play with. One a Compaq R3000Z XP with Norton A/V, and another a Compaq V2000Z (or something like that) XP with Avast A/V. Maybe its behavior on all my systems will give a clue as to what is going on.

SNGX1275 said:
The GPS shouldn't be getting an IP over a USB connection.

Perhaps the GPS requires USB 2.0, although I'm not sure why that would happen either.

USB 2.0 on all my systems. Had 1.1 on my work system and backup took forever, that is why I bought it a PCI card with (4) USB 2.0 and (2) Firewire ports.

I just purchased a Magellan 4250 GPS,
Am I correct, you're referring to a Magellan Maesro 4250 GPS Navigation Device for North America? If so, from what i see at first glance wrt their documentation
  • USB interface only used to provide a power source for recharging the Magellan unit (is that your intent for USB? didn't sound like it)
  • Creating your own custom POIs is done using their software provided on the CD along with an SD/MMC card

/*** Edit ***/
Here's a link for product FAQ and User Manual

/*** Edit 2 ***/
When you said "the GPS looked like a hard drive" under Windows 2000, did you have an SD card inserted on your computer and was it the card that looked like a hard drive?

LookinAround said:
Am I correct, you're referring to a Magellan Maesro 4250 GPS Navigation Device for North America? If so, from what i see at first glance wrt their documentation
  • USB interface only used to provide a power source for recharging the Magellan unit (is that your intent for USB? didn't sound like it)
  • Creating your own custom POIs is done using their software provided on the CD along with an SD/MMC card

/*** Edit 2 ***/
When you said "the GPS looked like a hard drive" under Windows 2000, did you have an SD card inserted on your computer and was it the card that looked like a hard drive?

What I first did to bring custom POI into my GPS was to use the supplied software to create the POI file. I then created a directory called CPOI on the SC card and put the POI file in it. Then I placed the card in the GPS and was able to load the custom POI into the GPS. At work I had the SD card removed, when I connected the GPS to my work computer, a new drive letter appeared, the label of the new drive was "TFAT" it had an extensive directory structure. the POI file using the transfer function, or just via plain old explorer belongs in TFAT/USR/CPOI, once there, if you want to load the custom POI you will see the file name with the designaion under it of "internal memory". I preffer to have the custom POI file sitting in the GPS directly rather than the SD card. Also, I assume when they come out with a firmware upgrade it will be done via the USB connection.

I picked up this post it is for the 4000, but it still applies to the 4250

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loading POIs
newport wrote:
I downloaded few .CSV files from POI-Factory.com and used Excel program to import the file to POI File Editor program.

I saved files in the internal memory of the unit and also saved files in the SD cards to find which one would work. I had no any luck for that.

Your question is a little confusing, since the only reason you need Excel is if you need to modify the entries in the .csv file for some reason......or just to look at them to see what's there.

You load the .csv file directly into the POI Editor program (if it is in a "generic" format) and then save it as a .mgln file, somewhere on the PC for backup purposes and also IN your GPS......only ONE place. Either IN the unit as:TFAT/USR/CPOI/filename OR Removable Disk/CPOI/Filename.......not both.
The unit must be rebooted (or reset) to find the new files but my 4000 does that automatically.

1. Agreed on USB 2.0. Since the 4250 can be charged using the USB cable, it should be a USB 2.0 device and 2.0 cable (I don’t think Battery Charging Specification applies to v1.0 or v1.1)
  2. You can verify systems with USB 2.0 support by
    • Going to Device Manager: Go to Control Panel -> System. Click Hardware. Click Device Manager
    • Scroll to to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click the + sign to expand all the entries it includes. One of those controller entries should contain the word Enhanced if the computer supports USB 2.0
  3. Also, fyi… the Magellan support site is poor. Searching through their Model 4000 User Manual and the 4250 User Manual for the keyword usb or other words like cable or load only show a few hits and little useful information about usb cable and how they use/need it.
  4. Interestingly, I happened to find GPS Magazine’s review of the 4250 which includes some nice screen shots and some how-to’s. They indicate the usb data cable is included for "uploading firmware updates and user POI files". (More info then Magellan indicated on their site.) They also list their Pro’s and Con’s. At the top of their Con’s list: Poor customer support!! Other than Magellan’s lack of decent support, looks like a nice unit!
  5. Might be able to collect some useful data about the Magellan device if you download and run USBDeview on the computer where the USB connection actually works
    • Scroll towards bottom of the page link i provided (which describes USBDeview) and click on the Download link. Unzip the download file and double-click USBDeview.exe to run
    • Note that both connected and recently disconnected USB devices are displayed. If you want to reduce the display output you can uncheck Options -> Display Disconnected Devices. Then click View-Refresh
    • Click View->HTML Report – All Items to create a report, then save it and post it back into thread

LookinAround said:
  1. Agreed on USB 2.0. Since the 4250 can be charged using the USB cable, it should be a USB 2.0 device and 2.0 cable (I don’t think Battery Charging Specification applies to v1.0 or v1.1)
  2. You can verify systems with USB 2.0 support by
    • Going to Device Manager: Go to Control Panel -> System. Click Hardware. Click Device Manager
    • Scroll to to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click the + sign to expand all the entries it includes. One of those controller entries should contain the word Enhanced if the computer supports USB 2.0
  3. Also, fyi… the Magellan support site is poor. Searching through their Model 4000 User Manual and the 4250 User Manual for the keyword usb or other words like cable or load only show a few hits and little useful information about usb cable and how they use/need it.
  4. Interestingly, I happened to find GPS Magazine’s review of the 4250 which includes some nice screen shots and some how-to’s. They indicate the usb data cable is included for "uploading firmware updates and user POI files". (More info then Magellan indicated on their site.) They also list their Pro’s and Con’s. At the top of their Con’s list: Poor customer support!! Other than Magellan’s lack of decent support, looks like a nice unit!
  5. Might be able to collect some useful data about the Magellan device if you download and run USBDeview on the computer where the USB connection actually works
    • Scroll towards bottom of the page link i provided (which describes USBDeview) and click on the Download link. Unzip the download file and double-click USBDeview.exe to run
    • Note that both connected and recently disconnected USB devices are displayed. If you want to reduce the display output you can uncheck Options -> Display Disconnected Devices. Then click View-Refresh
    • Click View->HTML Report – All Items to create a report, then save it and post it back into thread

Interesting, on my work computer (Windows 2000) there is an entry that says "USB 2.0 root hub" while on my home computers computers (Windows XP) they all say "USB root hub". I know that my laptop and desktop should be USB 2.0, is this my problem or is it a Windows 2000 vs Windows XP issue.

Here is what came from my work computer

USB Devices List

Created by using USBDeview

Device Name = Generic Mass Storage (PROTOTYPE--Remember to change idVendor)
Description = USB Mass Storage Device
Device Type = Mass Storage
Connected / Safe To Unplug / Disabled = No / No / No
Created Date = 3/20/2008 9:22:49 AM
Last Plug/Unplug Date = 3/20/2008 9:38:38 AM
VendorID = 045e
ProductID = ffff
USB Class = 08
USB SubClass = 06
USB Protocol = 50

From my Laptop (which didn't work)

Description = Bluetooth Devices
Created Date = 3/20/2008 12:54:44 AM
Last Plug/Unplug Date = N/A
VendorID = 045e
ProductID = ffff
USB Class = 08
USB SubClass = 06
USB Protocol = 50
Hub / Port = Hub 3, Port 4

Now that we know the VendorID and ProductID of the Magellan 4250 from your last post along with getting USB Class, Subclass, and Protocol it would also be helpful to nail down/detail the USB software configuration on each computer in question.
  • Install another handy tool to have around SysExporter. SysExporter allows you to grab text lists that appear in a window and paste them elsewhere when you find you can’t otherwise grab that data (i.e. the copy function doesn’t work within that window but SysExporter still lets you grab/copy/paste the text)
  • Next, is for each of the computers in question, note (a) it’s operating system current release and (b) each line entry found under Universal Serial Bus Controller in Device Manager (Here;s the steps how and if you look at the attachments to this post, you'll see an example output i created)
    • For Operating System Current Release: Control Panel -> System. Click [the General Tab. Easiest in this case to copy down System Information: (e.g. for me it showed: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 20002 Service Pack 2). (If you want to play with SysExporter you’ll find this text is also available – but only one text line per sub window at a time.)
    • Get info about USB controllers
      1. Go open the device manager window. Refresh SysExporter by Options->Refresh.
      2. Click Title in first column to alpha ascending sort the window titles in in the column. Scroll to the window title Device Manager. Click to highlight each entry shown for window title Device Manager until you see the Device Manager window text displayed in the lower pane of SysExporter (it will be a flat view, not a tree organized view, of the text)
      3. Click your cursor into the lower pane of SysExporter to change Window focus. Then click Items->Select All and then Items->Copy Selected Items (Tab Delimited)
      4. Now paste the text somewhere. You an easily remove lines not related to the USB controllers. (Or within SysExporter you can try to only select those lines before before you actually do the Copy Selected Items operation)
      5. For each computer, you should have a file something as in the attachment I provided

Description = USB Mass Storage Device
Created Date = 3/20/2008 9:22:49 AM
Last Plug/Unplug Date = 3/20/2008 9:38:38 AM
VendorID = 045e
ProductID = ffff
USB Class = 08
USB SubClass = 06
USB Protocol = 50

Are you sure you posted the right USB device entry? VendorID 045e appears to be Microsoft.

Could you post all USBDeview entries for all the USB connected devices? (Uncheck Options->Display Disconnected Devices then refresh the output View->Refresh)

To copy the entries: Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy Selected Items then paste into your reply post or paste into a text document you can attach to your reply post (the one line per device format is preffered instead of the mulitline per device format created by File->Save Selected Items

/***** Edit ******/
By the way, this couldn't be the entry for the USB device connection as if you look at the line
it's stating Connected = No!

/***** Edit ******/
and to make sure we're in sync....
I'm looking to see the Magellan 4250's USBDeview entry when the Magellan 4250 is connected to your computer

LookinAround said:
Are you sure you posted the right USB device entry? VendorID 045e appears to be Microsoft.

/***** Edit ******/
By the way, this couldn't be the entry for the USB device connection as if you look at the line
it's stating Connected = No!

/***** Edit ******/
and to make sure we're in sync....
I'm looking to see the Magellan 4250's USBDeview entry when the Magellan 4250 is connected to your computer

I am not at work and will only be in on Monday, I connected to work computer via GoToMyPC and got the results that way, this is why connected status was Connected = No.

I wonder if problem could be that on my laptop and desktop USBDReview claimed that device Description is "Bluetooth", yet on my work system it said that device Description is "USB Mass Storage Device".

Anyway, when I have more time I will get the full output as well as try my other daughter's laptop and see if problem is replicated there as well.

MartyXB – Will try to summarize here. Hope you look at this one of my posts first!
I am not at work and will only be in on Monday, I connected to work computer via GoToMyPC and got the results that way, this is why connected status was Connected = No.
Each device which is powered on and successfully connected to the computer should have its own USB device entry where Connected = Yes. I would expect the Maestro 4250 to have its own USB device entry showing Connected = Yes when successfully connected to the computer – regardless of how you, yourself, are connecting. However, I’m not certain what Device Name / Device Description will appear for that entry.

I wonder if problem could be that on my laptop and desktop USBDeview claimed that device Description is "Bluetooth", yet on my work system it said that device Description is "USB Mass Storage Device".
  • Device entries which show Connected = No are not current. I wouldn’t rely solely on old entries for troubleshooting (we want to find the entries for connected devices!)
  • Note the USBclass displayed for a device entry. USB class = 08 is a mass storage device. USB class = E0 is a wireless device and what I’d expect for Bluetooth device. Can’t explain the entry you show other then to say it’s not connected.
  • Not 100% certain but am guessing the Device Name and Device Description are strings pre-programmed into the USB Device itself (or maybe a USB driver). Therefore, a USB 2.0 device will always return a string stating “USB 2.0 Device” even when plugged into a system which only supports 1.x (and technically, is still a 2.0 device just being forced to run as USB 1.x). Don’t think you can reliably use Device Name/Device Description to know if the computer supports USB 2.0 or not.
With that said, let me add the following
  • Follow the instructions in my post #11 (look to the right of the dark horizontal band at the top of each post for post #) looking for the word “Enhanced” to describe at least one USB controller listed in Device Manager. I believe this is the best (only?) way to determine if the computer supports USB 2.0 or not.
  • Interesting that you mentioned you see TFAT in the disk's directory name. TFAT is a Windows embedded “transaction oriented” Microsoft file system. It requires hardware specific drivers designed for the type of media on which the TFAT volume resides. Check the USB 2.0 issue on other computers but TFAT drivers are another likely issue as well. (And could now make more sense that the Magellan 4250 USB device entries (where Connected = Yes) will also have a Vendor ID associated with Microsoft.
  • Also note in my post #11, under point 5. how to stop displaying Disconnected Devices. Will help to see just those connected devices
  • Are there any drivers provided on the CD? (e.g. i'm guessing that's where they'd supply the TFAT drivers.) When you installed the POI software on the work computer could it have installed the TFAT drivers at that time?

I just connected the 4250 GPS to my daughter's laptop (Compaq R3000Z Windows XP). A few message bubbles poped up with a your hardware is ready to be used and voila, I can browse my Magellan. No drivers, no CDs just a simple connect to an available USB port. I am perplexed why my Avertec and my Dell Precision are having issues connecting. Now that I have ruled out the operating system (all three on XP), I will concertrate on what is common with both systems that don't work and not on system that does work, at first glance they are.
(1) Zonealarm Internet suite vs Norton
(2) Compaq has bluetooth built in, Avertac and Dell have the MSI bluetooth USB dongle.

Will play with it tomorrow it is 2am and I am done for the night.

I believe I am on the right track the identification information that the Magellan 4250 is crap, even the embedded description eludes to that fact, it is identifying itself as a prototype and even states "change vendor ID". When windows tries to choose the best driver, it find a match in

#I022 Found "USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbstor.inf; Device: "USB Mass Storage Device"; Driver: "USB Mass Storage Device"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Compatible USB storage device"; Section name: "USBSTOR_BULK".
#I023 Actual install section: [USBSTOR_BULK.NT]. Rank: 0x00002000. Effective driver date: 07/01/2001.

but in my two systems that has problems with the 4250 it also finds matched in

(Avertec 2370 laptop)

#I022 Found "USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbstor.inf; Device: "USB Mass Storage Device"; Driver: "USB Mass Storage Device"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Compatible USB storage device"; Section name: "USBSTOR_BULK".
#I023 Actual install section: [USBSTOR_BULK.NT]. Rank: 0x00002000. Effective driver date: 07/01/2001.
#I022 Found "USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem103.inf; Device: "Bluetooth Devices"; Driver: "Bluetooth Devices"; Provider: "WayTech"; Mfg: "WayTech"; Section name: "HidInstN558".
#I023 Actual install section: [HidInstN558]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 04/11/2007.
#I022 Found "USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem114.inf; Device: "Bluetooth Devices"; Driver: "Bluetooth Devices"; Provider: "Darfon"; Mfg: "Darfon"; Section name: "HidInstN558".
#I023 Actual install section: [HidInstN558]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 04/11/2007.

(Dell Precision 390)
#I022 Found "USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem90.inf; Device: "Bluetooth Devices"; Driver: "Bluetooth Devices"; Provider: "Darfon"; Mfg: "Darfon"; Section name: "HidInstN558".
#I022 Found "USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem87.inf; Device: "Bluetooth Devices"; Driver: "Bluetooth Devices"; Provider: "WayTech"; Mfg: "WayTech"; Section name: "HidInstN558".

So instead of

#-011 Installing section [USBSTOR_BULK.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&2D3B1AB3&0&3".
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&2D3B1AB3&0&3" finished successfully.

We have

#-011 Installing section [HidInstN558.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem90.inf".
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&18F4DAC0&0&8".
#I163 Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a: CM_PROB_FAILED_START.
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&18F4DAC0&0&8" finished successfully.

These came from the respective Setupapi.log files from the respective machines

Question - is it safe for me to delete these "inf" files? oem90, oem87, oem103, oem114, or how do I force windows to use usbstor.inf

Will have to check on some things and get back to you sometime later or tomorrow. But can tell you a couple things
  1. The oemxxx file is what's created when the device is installed. The actual driver files consist of 2 other files: a .inf file and a .pnf file. When the device is installed, Windows gets device strings from the device, uses the info in the strings (like vendor and product ids) to search through all the driver files and determine what it thinks is best match and then generates the oemxxx file. Uninstalling the device should remove the oemxxx file but need do a little more to find and decide about the driver files.
  2. Vendor id 045E is Microsoft (i checked and they're the ones registered for that number with the USB group that manages the Vendor ids). No other manufacturer/provider should be using that vendor id so i'm curious about "Way Tech" and "Darfon"
Anyway, will get back to you

1. First, there’s a couple still open questions I would like to know. What Operating System and Service Pack level are you runnning on each of the computers. (I think we’re talking about 3 different computers?)
  2. Also, I’d like to finally determine USB 2.0 support for each computer. Per other instructions, that means looking at the description in Device Manager for each USB controller and verifying if at least one controller on each computer is described as an “Enhanced Controller”
  3. While am glad to help look into this, it keeps sounding more and more it’s a Magellan issue as they haven’t provided, at minimum, the right drivers and installation package for the product. While working on the problem here, I think you should start the process of contacting Magellan to request a current CD (which sure hope is different then the one you have now) That said… can continue
  4. A couple different times in this thread you said “No drivers were installed” but I think we’re seeing evidence to the contrary. I would guess they are installed during the POI software install? The CD must have a installation package which installs the drivers. Is there an installation guide document. I didn’t see one, if there is, at Magellan site.
  5. Note the Magellan 4250 provides bluetooth connectivity as one of its features. It's installing the BT drivers for itself i would guess. Have you installed any BT devices yourself on those computers or does BT come equipped on those computers?. And if these are “unofficial driver versions” could explan the odd company names that show up with a Microsoft USB Vendor ID.
  6. Interestingly, Win2000 didn't originally come with bluetooth support but rather it was added in subsequent Service Packs (one reason i want to know OS and SP rlease levels on your computers). It would be interesting if the problem didn't occur only by luck in that your win2000 machine doesn't support bluetooth so those drivers weren't installed
  7. I want to determine and possibly look at the drivers in question. The drivers consist of two files sharing a single basename and one having a o.inf extension and the other a .pnf extension. Microsoft drivers and any 3rd party drivers Microsoft chooses as part of the Windows base platform will all be in $Windir\Windows\inf.

I want to determine the names of the drivers involved here. Easy way to do it, use Notepad.exe to open each of the problem or suspicioius oem files. The start of each should include the driver filename (which is not oemxxx) and the driver version (DriverVer= some value)

Could you report this for each oemxxx file. The drivers in question are probably NOT on your hard disk (unless in temp space somewhere). I’m guessing those files are on your MagellanCD! Can you see if they’re there also? Ideally, I’d like to see the driver.inf file itself but don’t know if that’s a lot of work to find/copy/post. If so, not crucial at this point
  8. Am I correct in assuming you did a software install from CD to each of the computers you are now checking?
  9. Are you familiar with a device driver utility called Devcon? Just that if you’re used to reading through/trying to debug setupapi logs, Devcon can be helpful and much easier in driver issues. Have u used it? If not, will be sure to show it later in the thread.

Let us begin by saying that this is a standaloge GPS Navigator system, not a GPS receiver to be used with a PC bassed application.

(1) Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2
(2) Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
(3) No doubt Magellan is partly to blame, but they are reputed to have one of the worst customer support. I am trying to work around untill they come out with a firmware upgrade.
(4) The CD has no drivers, just a tiny rudimentary POI editing utility. On my daughter's Compaq, I did not install anything I just walked over with the GPS and connected it to the laptop and it was recognised and assigned a drive letter that I was able to browse with explorer.
(5) The bluetooth connectivity is to allow the GPS unit to act like a bluetooth headset, again, not made for PC connectivity.
(6) On my daughters laptop, bluetooth was installed at factory, so, I assume, the Darfon and WayTech drivers were not installed, I will have to check. Again, the bluetooth is a red herring here, XP simply incorrectly concluded that the bluetooth drivers were a better match to the hardware bassed on the device ID.
(7)
oem90.inf

;==============================================================================
; Flter2K.inf for Win2K
; Copyright (c) 2003 WayTech Inc.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class=Bluetooth
ClassGuid={e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}
Provider = %Provider%
DriverVer = 04/11/2007,1.00.02
CatalogFile = N55832.cat

[SourceDisksNames]
99=%DiskName%,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
n558.sys = 99

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 10,system32\drivers
CopyUSBFilter = 10,system32\drivers

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect = *

[Manufacturer]
%Provider% = WayTechUSB

[WayTechUSB]
%DEVICENAME% = HidInstN558,USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff
; ---------------------------------------------------------
[HidInstN558]
Include = Bth.inf
Needs = BthUsb.NT
Copyfiles = CopyUSBFilter

[CopyUSBFilter]
n558.sys

[HidInstN558.HW]
AddReg = Filter.AddReg.HW
Needs = BthUsb.NT.HW

[Filter.AddReg.HW]
HKR,,"LowerFilters",%REG_MULTI_SZ%,"n558"

[HidInstN558.Services]
needs = BthUsb.NT.Services
AddService = n558,,BTUsbFltr_Service_Inst

[BTUsbFltr_Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %SvcDispName%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE%
ServiceBinary = %10%\System32\Drivers\n558.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Extended Base

[Strings]
Provider = "Darfon"
DiskName = "Driver Disk"
SvcDispName = "N558 Bluetooth USB Filter Driver"
DEVICENAME = "Bluetooth Devices"
BTWClassName="Bluetooth Devices"

SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002
SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER = 0x00000001
SERVICE_DEMAND_START = 0x00000003
SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE = 0x00000000
REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000

---------------------------------------
oem87.inf

; Flter2K.inf for Win2K
; Copyright (c) 2003 WayTech Inc.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class=Bluetooth
ClassGuid={e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}
Provider = %Provider%
DriverVer = 04/11/2007,1.00.02
CatalogFile = N55832.cat

[SourceDisksNames]
99=%DiskName%,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
n558.sys = 99

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 10,system32\drivers
CopyUSBFilter = 10,system32\drivers

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect = *

[Manufacturer]
%Provider% = WayTechUSB

[WayTechUSB]
[HidInstN558]
Include = Bth.inf
Needs = BthUsb.NT
Copyfiles = CopyUSBFilter

[CopyUSBFilter]
n558.sys

[HidInstN558.HW]
AddReg = Filter.AddReg.HW
Needs = BthUsb.NT.HW

[Filter.AddReg.HW]
HKR,,"LowerFilters",%REG_MULTI_SZ%,"n558"

[HidInstN558.Services]
needs = BthUsb.NT.Services
AddService = n558,,BTUsbFltr_Service_Inst

[BTUsbFltr_Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %SvcDispName%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE%
ServiceBinary = %10%\System32\Drivers\n558.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Extended Base

[Strings]
Provider = "WayTech"
DiskName = "Driver Disk"
SvcDispName = "N558 Bluetooth USB Filter Driver"
DEVICENAME = "Bluetooth Devices"
BTWClassName="Bluetooth Devices"

SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002
SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER = 0x00000001
SERVICE_DEMAND_START = 0x00000003
SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE = 0x00000000
REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000

(8) As I said before, on my daughter's Compaq I did no install, just connected device to laptop.

I removed the offending line from the two "inf" files

Then I connected the GPS to another USB port and got it to work. My current problem is that it still doesn't work in the origional USB port that gave me the problem. I even went so far as to delete any refrence that I can find from the registry.

Anyway here are the relevant lines from setupapi.log for the now good USB setup.

[2008/03/25 00:03:54 1288.3 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_045e&pid_ffff&rev_0000,usb\vid_045e&pid_ffff
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_08&subclass_06&prot_50,usb\class_08&subclass_06,usb\class_08
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [USBSTOR_BULK] in "c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&1DB09E5E&0&3".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [USBSTOR_BULK.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf".
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&1DB09E5E&0&3".
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_045E&PID_FFFF\5&1DB09E5E&0&3" finished successfully.

Let us begin by saying that this is a standaloge GPS Navigator system, not a GPS receiver to be used with a PC bassed application.
  • I agree per the quote i list above. See my post #8 (post # shown on the right side of the dark line which divides posts) I already read about (what I believe is) your Magellan nav device and it’s functions. But poor documentation or bad assumptions can happen, still need to confirm (to be 100% certain we’re in sync/talking about the same device) so please go back to my question in #8 to positively ID that what you own and refer to is in fact what I had found on Magellan’s website. Here’s the link to Magellan’s full product name for this thing, “Magellan Maesro 4250 GPS Navigation Device for North America”.)
  • Understand that you;ve mentioned 5 different computers so far (Avertec 2370 laptop, Dell Precision 390, HP Kayak, Compaq R3000Z, Compaq V2000Z) so will help if the computer you’re talking about is always mentioned by model (e.g. unless i missed it, didn’t know which of the 4 XP machines you listed XP version installed and USB 2.0 support. (tho that detail is lesser important at this time) Also, I think you mention your daughter;s Compaq but don’t know which Compaq that is of the two or if that's buried somewhere in a prior post i wouldn't recall)
  • I had already found Magellan’s 4250 user guide and saw its BT functions, but given (at first glance) some odd looking BT drivers, Magellan’s poor or not up-to-date documentation, the fact that Windows didn’t start supporting BT (if I recall off the top of my head) in Windows 2000 until SP4 and in XP until SP2, and suspicious of drivers that don’t look like they’re part of Windows which makes me wonder how they got there/what they were for if neither you nor Windows installed them…I thought it prudent to not just ignore them.
  • In fact, let me give you an update based on what I see from the oem.inf files you supplied. Those are actually USB Lower Filters that have been installed on your computers. USB Lower Filters are designed to monitor and/or modify I/O requests for a device or class of devices. Typically, such filters redefine hardware behavior to match expected specifications. In this case, it looks like Class = Bluetooth. Windows is correctly finding them because they’re specifying USB\VID_045E&PID_ffff. The questions as I see it are: Are these USB filters correct (and are more recent versions available)? Why were they installed in the first place and what devices are they trying to support and do you still need them? Trying to hack the oem files is trying to fix bits and pieces of a problem by tweaking file entries here and there and hoping you don’t fix one thing and break another. I think the next step is figuring out why those lower USB filters are there in the first place and determing what devices/drivers should be UNINSTALLED (and maybe reinstalled or just left uninstalled) to let have Windows do the clean up and get the right oem files in place. Am not telling you not to hack the oem files if you want but I’m no expert on drivers and .inf files to give you easy answers on a hack so can’t help there.

Actually, in followup to the last bullet in my last post...As i re-read my last post the bulb just went off.

What you should be doing on your XP computers with this problem is to uninstall bluetooth and then reinstall bluetooth. (and try your Magellan again after the uninstall but before the reinstall.)

Only questions to see all covered:
- What bluetooth adapter is equipped on each computer?
- Do you have any bluetooth devices (e.g. BT mouse and keyboard?) you use on each computers? (Create a list for each computer)

/** Edit **/
And if the problem still existed when BT uninstalled, I'd uninstall the USB controllers and tell Windows to scan for hardware changes. Windows will then reinstall the USB controllers.

First of all you are absolutely right, I do have the Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS. The documentation does indeed imply that the Enhanced POI should be installed on the SD card. Problem is that the software does have a transfer option, and when you invoke it it said that GPS was not connected, that started my quest to get the GPS to work with my computer. A Google search showed that some people had success and some didn't have sucess connecting.

When one connects a USB memory stick to a typical computer one does not have these crazy issues with it not being recognised, the Magellan should also have the same behavior. It would if it gave a valid vendor and product ID. Problem is twofold, one on Magellan's side for the incorrect IDs and then those Bluetooth drivers for "servicing" those bogus IDs.

I spoke to Magellan's tech support department and emailed them a link to this thread. They have issues and rumor has it that they will be comming out with a firmware fix. I wanted to make sure that they correct this issue as well..

I threw at you guys my experiences with my various machines to (1) Show that it is not a faulty GPS unit (2) By having diverse behavior over varios OS and hardware platforms shows that there is a logical problem going on here, not fixed by magically removing batteries and unpluging unit. I am satisfied as to my analysys of the problem and am satisfied with my temporary solution. I am affraid to remove the inf files completely. I am firmly convinced that the INF files have no business serving the 045e/ffff device unless there is another badly behaved hardware bluetooth device that WayTech wanted to handle.

I by the way, did try to remove my bluetooth drivers (Widcom) but the errant INF did not go away. As to how it got on my two (Avertec2370, Dell Precision 390) I don't know. They both have the MSI Bluetooth dongle. On both of my systems I use Bluetooth to synch via bluetooth with my Treo 650 (and with much less success my HTC Mogul - which is another story). On my daughter's Compaq R3000Z which has built in bluetooth, I use it to sync with Treo 650 and to connect with Microsoft wireless Bluetooth Keyboard/mouse.

My youngest daughter has the Compag V2000Z, but I did nothing with it since it is at her school. Since it has built in Bluetooth, I would imagine connection with the 4250 would work (I of course would scan all her INF files for he bogus 0450e/fff support before I connect the 4250 to it.)

Check this thread, you will see other people are having problems with the 4250 as well. http://www.poi-factory.com/node/9011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back