OnePlus CEO believes in-screen fingerprint reader is more valuable than headphone jack

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: OnePlus is surprisingly transparent about upcoming devices, something we're not accustomed to in the mobile industry. Arguments can be made for whether or not that's the best strategy but thus far, OnePlus has seemingly made it work as evident by its loyal fan base.

OnePlus is mere weeks away from unveiling its next flagship smartphone, the mid-cycle OnePlus 6T. Unlike some of its competitors who prefer secrecy leading up to an unveiling, OnePlus has been rather forthcoming with details regarding its new handset.

In a recent interview with CNET, OnePlus co-founder and CEO Pete Lau reiterated a few things that we already knew. First, the OnePlus 6T will not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack, a sacrifice that was necessary to allow for the inclusion of an in-screen fingerprint reader.

“After you experience the Screen Unlock you'll fall in love with it," Lau said, adding that you “realize that it's the experience that you wanted.”

Lau also confirmed that the OnePlus 6T won’t have wireless charging. Customers are accustomed to OnePlus’ fast charge technology, Dash Charging, and in order to deliver a similar experience wirelessly, the 6T would have had to be thicker. Excess heat generation would also have been a concern, Lau noted.

“When we get to the day that the wireless charging can get up to speed without the implication of heat that we expect, then I believe we can integrate the technology,” he said.

Something else the OnePlus 6T won’t have is an IP certification rating. Lau, who said the new phone will be more water resistant than any of its previous releases, believes going through the official IP certification testing is an unnecessary expense. OnePlus instead chose to forego such testing in order to save customers some cash during checkout.

Permalink to story.

It's just how would it be any different from the OnePlus 6 if they didn't make that change. I'm only getting the 6T if it goes through TMobile so I can do a payment plan. But honestly though, the OnePlus 6T seems barely an upgrade from the 6

Fingerprint reading was never my favorite method of unlocking if I'm being frank. It's a pain making sure nothing is on your hands to make sure it reads correctly. Anyone who gets their hands dirty when working surely knows the pains of this. I'd vastly prefer a pin, facial recognition, voice unlock, or any other variety of unlocking method.

Another failphone destined for the recycling bin of history. These companies must really hoping that if they keep producing impractical schlock for just a couple more years they can impress millenials with innovations like (gasp!) friendly UIs, long battery life and ergonomic shells. Hey, maybe even keyboards and d-buttons will make a comeback! I'm all for that.

Nope. Not giving them or anybody else my fingerprints. After 3 job-related background checks, the FBI are the only ones that need it.

That's just PR BS. Anyone with a bit of knowledge on the hardware side should be able to tell you that it has nothing to do with it. It's just a cost cutting decision and they also want to sell expensive dongles and wireless headphones.

So it's nothing to do with the fact if you break your screen, you WILL have to get it fixed? Hmm I smell..........

It is more valuable, for him. They get to sell their own earphones now. More money for them. So he's not wrong.

Nope. Not giving them or anybody else my fingerprints...

If you knew how it really works a fingerprint scanning/storing process then you would never express yourself with such a dumb sentence.
Please use your passcode/PIN or some pattern to unlock your phone, ohh wait don't even use these, do not lock you phone either, why would you?
Easiest thing to do is to look on someone's phone when they are unlocking with passcode/PIN or pattern.
Well mate if you want to give your personal stuff someone else for free, and not even make their job harder then please go to FBI or whatever equivalent in your country and tell them your online credentials.
It is not for them it is for you to make your data safer, do you think Apple fought for the terrorists when denied to code backdoor into iOS for any government?
No, their devices protect the individual's personal data not matter who you are or what is your business.

I know putting the fingerprint reader on the back was a workaround for not having physical buttons, but I find it the most natural way to unlock a phone after getting used to it.

I've seen nothing wrong with a fingerprint reader on the back. Curious what the price will be - another increase this year for removing a feature?

I remember clearly a decade ago as I was rocking a sony ericsson k800 phone, I had to buy a 3.5mm to proprietary plug to listen to wired earphones. you have to use the original charger with a "bridge" which let you plug an accessory while charging.

today, we're back at it again.

Fingerprint reading was never my favorite method of unlocking if I'm being frank. It's a pain making sure nothing is on your hands to make sure it reads correctly. Anyone who gets their hands dirty when working surely knows the pains of this. I'd vastly prefer a pin, facial recognition, voice unlock, or any other variety of unlocking method.

You're not FORCED to use fingerprint unlock. It's just another option...you can still unlock OnePlus devices with face unlock & PIN unlock. The entire world doesn't walk around with dirty hands...

You're not FORCED to use fingerprint unlock. It's just another option...you can still unlock OnePlus devices with face unlock & PIN unlock. The entire world doesn't walk around with dirty hands...
Yes - face and fingerprint unlock - the wet dream of those in the known.
The irony is that majority of people "think" the manufacturer put those "features" for their(users) benefit.
Yes, they are not mandatory, but since there are many sheep, they will listen to what an authority tell them, also since its a new tech, most will try it anyway, and its enough to use it once and they'll make and sale your profile.

I remember clearly a decade ago as I was rocking a sony ericsson k800 phone, I had to buy a 3.5mm to proprietary plug to listen to wired earphones. you have to use the original charger with a "bridge" which let you plug an accessory while charging.

today, we're back at it again.
YES! I have been wondering why no one has brought this up. It was horrible, why the hell are we going back to dark ages? And just like today, if you wanted to listen to music on your phone you had to buy the damn adapter separately.

A good chunk of people who work do. Chefs, construction workers, factory workers, ect.

It's just another option at the cost of your 3.5mm jack. So great, an option you might not even use reduces your options for audio.

If you knew how it really works a fingerprint scanning/storing process then you would never express yourself with such a dumb sentence.
Please use your passcode/PIN or some pattern to unlock your phone, ohh wait don't even use these, do not lock you phone either, why would you?
Easiest thing to do is to look on someone's phone when they are unlocking with passcode/PIN or pattern.
Well mate if you want to give your personal stuff someone else for free, and not even make their job harder then please go to FBI or whatever equivalent in your country and tell them your online credentials.
It is not for them it is for you to make your data safer, do you think Apple fought for the terrorists when denied to code backdoor into iOS for any government?
No, their devices protect the individual's personal data not matter who you are or what is your business.
It amazes me the technology rants about a choice that somebody makes on how to use said technology. I have a reason. What's it to you, buddy? It's called data collection. Passcodes can be changed anytime. Biometrics cannot. On a need to know basis, not everyone needs to know, no matter how convenient it is. Unfortunately, and or prudently, I can't get around the government's need, but I as sure as hell will get around Apple and Google needs. Don't kid yourself. They're collecting. I will pre-assume that whatever Google and Apple has, China has too.

A good chunk of people who work do. Chefs, construction workers, factory workers, ect.

It's just another option at the cost of your 3.5mm jack. So great, an option you might not even use reduces your options for audio.

So what you're saying is that the entire world is a chef, construction or factory worker? My point is that you still have Face unlock, it's not like they removed it...and your hands are still touching the phone if you're using a PIN.

I do agree that I would like to retain the 3.5mm jack...but I do love the finger print reader as well.

Yes - face and fingerprint unlock - the wet dream of those in the known.
The irony is that majority of people "think" the manufacturer put those "features" for their(users) benefit.
Yes, they are not mandatory, but since there are many sheep, they will listen to what an authority tell them, also since its a new tech, most will try it anyway, and its enough to use it once and they'll make and sale your profile.

Cocaine, crystal meth and heroin are "available" to the world, yet not everyone in the world is strung out on it. Just because it's there doesn't mean you're going to magically WANT to use it. Your logic is...not logical.

So what you're saying is that the entire world is a chef, construction or factory worker? My point is that you still have Face unlock, it's not like they removed it...and your hands are still touching the phone if you're using a PIN.

I do agree that I would like to retain the 3.5mm jack...but I do love the finger print reader as well.

Nope, what I'm saying is in all likelihood hands get dirty and render a fingerprint reader useless, which you are trading your 3.5mm jack for. The other unlock methods don't require us to make sacrifices. Even if you never use the fingerprint reader you are not going to get that 3.5mm jack back. If we had to loose a feature each time you added another authentication method, you'd be left with a phone that's only good at authentication and nothing else.

Back