Onion Pi transforms Raspberry Pi into anonymous Wi-Fi hotspot

Rick

Staff

Although recent events have reminded us just how absurd the goal of absolute online privacy may be, Onion Pi promises to give users back a little peace of mind. The Onion Pi pack turns the diminutive Raspberry Pi into a portable wireless access point which can anonymize your Internet sessions by functioning as a full-blown Tor proxy.

Tor is a well-known P2P-based anonymous network with U.S. Naval Research Laboratory roots (pdf). By configuring the USB-powered Raspberry Pi to operate as a wireless access point and route network traffic destined for the Internet through Tor, users have an easily-pocketable way to protect their online anonymity. Any device connected to it will automagically receive the anonymizing benefits of the Tor network with zero client configuration necessary.

Of course, there are some steps to follow and a few commands to punch into your Raspberry Pi before it is fully onionfied. After it's built and configured though, using it as "easy-as-pie," claims Adafruit.

The Onion Pi kit includes a Raspberry Pi (B), Adafruit Pi Case, WiFi adapter with antenna, 4GB SD Card with Raspbian 7 pre-installed and all of the cables you need to get started. Sorry though, folks -- the cool Onion Pi decal is not included.

Admittedly there are numerous other ways to transform your Raspberry Pi into a wireless Tor proxy, all without purchasing an Onion Pi kit; however, a portion of the proceeds will directly benefit the Tor Foundation. Additionally, there's a little bit of a discount too: the Onion Pi pack sells for $95 although it contains about $108 worth of hardware.

Permalink to story.

I sure hope they come out soon with an anonymous keyboard... every time I press a key the fricking letter comes up on my screen! It knows what I am typing!!! WHERE"S MY PRIVACY???

Same goes with my cell company, they know WHO I talked to, they know HOW LONG I talked to them for, heck they even know if it was long distance or not!!! WHERE"S MY PRIVACY????

Same goes with my utility company, did you know they know WHEN and HOW MUCH power/water you use???? WHERE'S MY PRIVACY?????

Frick, even soon I bet the banks will track how much money you have and your credit history! WHERE'S MY PRIVACY?

It's got so bad now, I was walking down the street and this lady I passed NOT ONLY looked at me but also said "good morning?" HOW disrespectful!!!!! First she invaded my privacy but looking at me, can she not respect my privacy and not look? And then for her to add injury to insult, she SPOKE to me!!! The world is going to HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERES MY PRIVACY???!!!!?????

Same goes with my utility company, did you know they know WHEN and HOW MUCH power/water you use???? WHERE'S MY PRIVACY?????
Heck I'll bet even your car salesman, know who they are selling a car to. Where is your privacy?

OMG give me a break! You can't conduct business without presenting who you are. As for the phone company, you have to prove who you are and who you want to talk to, before they can connect the dots. I never thought I would hear myself say these words, "Do you even have a brain?". No wait, I get it. You are here trolling and I couldn't resist the trap.

Back