OnLive cloud-gaming comes to Vizio HDTVs, phones, tablets

Jos

Staff

It seems Vizio left out one juicy little detail yesterday in their round of pre-CES announcements: OnLive integration. Apparently the U.S. largest HDTV vendor has inked a deal with the cloud-based gaming company to integrate its service right into their products. And we’re not talking about just HDTVs here, but Vizio’s upcoming tablet, smartphone, Blu-ray players and basically everything in their new Via product line

Details remain scarce at the moment so we don’t know when the OnLive-equipped Vizio products will hit the market or what they will cost. So far the service has only been available on Windows and Mac OS X-based systems or though the OnLive micro-console which plugs directly into a TV’s HDMI port. Vizio products featuring OnLive's streaming gaming service should be on-display at CES in early demo form, so more details about how the service will be implemented on Vizio devices should arrive soon.

OnLive also said that full 1080p resolutions, 3D support, and 5.1 surround sound support would arrive later this year via a free update to all its users. No word on whether they plan similar partnerships with other electronics manufacturers.

Permalink to story.

AT&T can't handle downloading a 20mb file with all the traffic. Let alone streaming games to smartphones. I hope this is more for gaming on a wifi connection to stream.

If they keep this up with other HDTV companies, settop boxes, and dvd/bluray players they will become pretty powerful. It is really all about getting the availablitiy on the TVs. That is the way to the masses.

The controllers need to be standard PC like, with bluetooth wireless to do anything for TV... and well let other companies like logetch, niko, and madkatz make controllers so the price comes down...

@princeton... AT&T is streaming Netflix now, so they will be able to stream Game video. That is all Onlive is... streaming The video from games and sending input feedback from the user upstream to the Onlive Cloud. Im sure they will have adaptive resolutions for mobile devices so that they are not sending 1080 to our Android Phones and iPhones...

I guess this would be cool for a casual gamer, but I'm pretty sure that most people that are into games either have a computer or a console. And unless they're going to incorporate any special hardware into these Visio products, its just a software download away. I guess they can snag some subscribers the way that all that crapware that comes preinstalled on computers can.

gwailo247 said:
I guess this would be cool for a casual gamer, but I'm pretty sure that most people that are into games either have a computer or a console. And unless they're going to incorporate any special hardware into these Visio products, its just a software download away. I guess they can snag some subscribers the way that all that crapware that comes preinstalled on computers can.

Console gamers are just as casual as facebook gamers :p. Autoaim tends to lower the effort required to play a game.

MrAnderson said:
@princeton... AT&T is streaming Netflix now, so they will be able to stream Game video. That is all Onlive is... streaming The video from games and sending input feedback from the user upstream to the Onlive Cloud. Im sure they will have adaptive resolutions for mobile devices so that they are not sending 1080 to our Android Phones and iPhones...

Really? I thought Netflix used Wi-fi on AT&T smartphones. If it does use AT&T's 3G, then I see some future for OnLive.

Sadly, however, until their game catalog increases, and until they actually let you "own" the games, I highly doubt the gaming community will ever take it seriously.

This should be really beneficial for both companies. Vizio gets one more 'feature,' and OnLive gets exposure in a retail environment.

Sadly, however, until their game catalog increases, and until they actually let you "own" the games, I highly doubt the gaming community will ever take it seriously.

Well, the gaming community takes Steam pretty seriously. But this product doesn't seem to be aimed at the hardcore 360 and PS3 crowd, given its current limitations.

DokkRokken said:
This should be really beneficial for both companies. Vizio gets one more 'feature,' and OnLive gets exposure in a retail environment.

Well, the gaming community takes Steam pretty seriously. But this product doesn't seem to be aimed at the hardcore 360 and PS3 crowd, given its current limitations.

Well, that's precisely because Steam lets you "own" the games. You can download them whenever and wherever you want to; OnLive gives you a "FullPlay Pass" or something along that line. You don't really have that sense of ownership.

Lawfer said:
DokkRokken said:

Well, that's precisely because Steam lets you "own" the games. You can download them whenever and wherever you want to; OnLive gives you a "FullPlay Pass" or something along that line. You don't really have that sense of ownership.

Also to add, on Steam you buy the game Once and thats it, it is yours, this onlive stuff is subscription based.

Back