OnLive thanks early adopters with free MicroConsole

Jos

Staff

With the Holiday season officially underway, it seems OnLive is getting into the spirit of giving and has announced a couple of freebies for its first wave of subscribers. Specifically, those who bought a PlayPass for one or more games will receive a promo code worth up to $50 for another one, while everyone who purchased two or more games will receive a voucher for a free OnLive MicroConsole – minus the shipping costs which you’ll have to cover yourself.

The offer apparently applies to both rental PlayPasses and unlimited Full PlayPasses, as long as they were purchased through November 23 till midnight. If you are entitled to a free game or OnLive’s MicroConsole, you should be receiving a free promo code in your inbox soon, which you have to use before November 30, 2010. The first batch of consoles ship out on December 2 and Founding Members who make the pre-order will get preference in the delivery.

Seems like a good way of getting some positive word of mouth out there, as the company still has plenty of work ahead to convince mainstream users of giving cloud gaming a try. OnLive also recently announced it would be dropping mandatory subscription fees and instead it will only charge for the videogames you rent or buy.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how their subscription cuts affect their business plan. Clearly when they started the company they intended to charge a lot more for the service (unless this was all a marketing gimmick), so now that their monthly charge went from $15 to $0, that's a lot of income gone by the wayside. I wonder what would happen to the games that people buy if the company goes under.

gwailo247 said:
I wonder how their subscription cuts affect their business plan. Clearly when they started the company they intended to charge a lot more for the service (unless this was all a marketing gimmick), so now that their monthly charge went from $15 to $0, that's a lot of income gone by the wayside. I wonder what would happen to the games that people buy if the company goes under.

just marketing buzz like any other gaming service

first thy look like the good guys and get people to try

and then when thy get some name in the "gaming world" thy start taking it to the "profit" level

Is Onlive a microsoft idea or a new company? because the layout of that controller is very much like a Dualshock (Playstation controller). The D-pad, the place where the analog stcks are. I think it's nice but if it's microsoft's idea it copying =/

Maybe they could charge per hour of gaming, so for example ur charged £1 or £2 per hour and you can play any game.

I stopped pirating games because steam always had the game I wanted on sale sooner or later. I do not have to have internet service all the time to play all my steam game and steam does a great job handling all the updates. Steam works well with 1.5mb dsl (and a lot number of gamers are still using slow dsl). I use 6mb dsl and my gaming pc is connected via a wireless adapter (pinging 36 on 30 servers in BF2BC). Onlive said my connection was too slow, so no Onlive for me.

Back