OnLive version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution free with PC retail purchase

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: It seems GameStop stores are actually removing the free OnLive game code from PC retail copies of the game. The company itself confirmed the move this morning by saying: "Square Enix packed the competitor’s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons."

The highly anticipated third installment in the Deus Ex franchise went on sale yesterday for Xbox 360 and PS3, but it’s the PC gamers that are in for a surprise. The game was also made available for PC via digital download and retail copy, the latter coming bundled with a free code to play the game on OnLive’s streaming PC game service.

Square Enix is the first publisher to include a free code for an OnLive game alongside a retail PC title. If it proves to be a popular purchase model, we should expect other publishers to offer similar OnLive incentives. Such a move could also help the alleged decline in PC gaming, as you are essentially getting two games for the price of one.

"OnLive is delighted to partner with Square Enix in presenting Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the first video game disc packaged with a free cloud gaming copy," OnLive CEO Steve Perlman said in a statement. "Gamers get the best of both worlds -- a physical copy for their home PC and an OnLive cloud gaming copy for instant-play anywhere on an HDTV, PC, Mac, and soon iPad and Android tablets. Having the option of local or cloud gaming provides unprecedented value and convenience that has never before been available for high-performance AAA titles."

free onlive deus human revolution onlive deus ex human revolution

It’s unclear if the two copies of the game are linked in any way, but we can’t imagine logistically how they would be. This means you could give the OnLive code to a friend or family member, assuming you don’t plan to play the game away from the system you originally installed the retail copy on.

The idea behind OnLive is that instead of running a video game locally, players connect via broadband to a gaming system that runs and stores their data and the entire game itself. OnLive provides a fluid and lag-free experience on Windows and Mac OS X systems with very low hardware requirements. Customers can optionally purchase the OnLive game system and access the same content directly on their television. Full games cost between $9.99 and $49.99, depending on the title. Game rentals are also available for those that don’t want to pay full price for something they don’t “really” own.

Permalink to story.

This is great news for OnLive users such as myself. For all of you skeptics out there I just have one thing to say. Try it for yourself!

Onlive runs almost flawlessly on my broadband connection. Yes even during FPS and twitch based games.

The only thing that OnLive needs is a native Linux client! Or at least some help getting it running in Wine! This is the last step for me to get completely away from Windows forever!

"assuming you don’t plan to play the game away from the system you originally installed the retail copy on"

So we'd have to play the on-live version on the same PC as the retail?

And now Gamestop employes have been told to open the regular version of the game and remove the coupon.
So if you go there you`ll get an open box game at full price. yay!

Guest said:
"assuming you don’t plan to play the game away from the system you originally installed the retail copy on"

So we'd have to play the on-live version on the same PC as the retail?

No. They're saying if you give the game to someone else to use on OnLive then you won't be able to use it for your own OnLive account.

OnLive is great because you can run their games from anywhere you have a PC, MAC or micro console.

I tried OnLive, and the controls were laggy. Don't get me wrong, the game ran great, but the controls' slow responsiveness was evident, compared to the PC counterpart. The game I tried was Just Cause 2, and for a game so, intense, not being able to control the character as fast and as precise as I should, was definitely a turn off for the service. And I'm not even mentioning the resolution, which was pretty low.

Although that was a few months ago, I don't know it anything has changed. If it has, I would seriously give it a try again.

I see a lawsuit on the horizon. If Gamestop has grievance with these codes, then they should have contacted Square Enix.

What the hell gives Gamestop the right to remove anything from the inside of the game?

So they can take out the insides if they feel like it?

Eh? Is it even legal for Gamestop to do this kind of thing? Whats the deal with removing goodies at random from games, they have their own streaming service or something?

Anyway this is probably a great way to get OnLive to take off, the barrier to try something new(ish) isn't that high when it comes for free. Guess it sucks for those with capped connections though...

OnLive provides you excellent graphics for your gaming experience. It actually doesn't.

If I had money to pay for OnLive, I would have bought myself sweeter rig. This way I have ultra-fast PC can process other stuff, not just gaming. I also don't have to worry about frequent "floatiness" to the controls and at the same time I can multitask on multiple monitors.

What now OnLive people?

yorro said:
OnLive provides you excellent graphics for your gaming experience. It actually doesn't.

If I had money to pay for OnLive, I would have bought myself sweeter rig. This way I have ultra-fast PC can process other stuff, not just gaming. I also don't have to worry about frequent "floatiness" to the controls and at the same time I can multitask on multiple monitors.

What now OnLive people?

You're going to build a sweeter rig that's free? The service itself is FREE. You just buy the games. Or you can sign up for the playpack for $10 a month and get 80 games (which in fairness some do suck). So a sweet rig for $10 a month? That'll take a while.

I don't really have any problems with the controls, so I'm not sure what others are referring to.

Also with OnLive running I can still multitask on other monitors as well without alt-tabbing out. I just run OnLive windowed.

Back