Only YouTube and Reddit have experienced statistically significant growth in the US since...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: YouTube and Facebook remain among the most popular online platforms in the US. According to the latest survey from Pew Research Center, usage of YouTube has grown to 81 percent among adults in the US. That’s up from 73 percent of adults that said they ever used the video-sharing site in 2019.

Reddit, the only other platform that saw statistically significant growth since 2019, is now used by 18 percent of US adults, representing a seven percent increase.

Most other platforms, including Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and LinkedIn, saw little growth during the same period. That’s not to say that other platforms still aren’t massively popular, however.

According to the survey data, Facebook is used by 69 percent of Americans. Instagram and WhatsApp, both of which Facebook also owns, are used by 40 percent and 23 percent of US adults, respectively.

Pew also found that platform usage directly correlates to age groups. For example, fully 95 percent of those between the age of 18 and 29 said they use YouTube, while only two percent of those polled aged 65 and older use Snapchat. Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat are also used by majorities of 18-to-29-year-olds polled.

Pew’s survey involved data collected from 1,502 US adults contacted via telephone between January 25 and February 8, 2021.

Masthead courtesy Bloomicon

Permalink to story.

YouTube is the last Google product I use extensively, hard to get off seeing as you need to convince the creators involved to stop using it too. At best you can use a wrapper like NewPipe to at least deny them the data, but then you can't interact with the creators or community, which is a bummer.

Luckily, YouTube is doing its level best to drive small creators away in favor of the studios and fatuous late night bobbleheads we're all trying to get away from, so the rise of alternatives like Odysee has been meteoric. I can't wait to toss YouTube in the trash heap of dead social media platforms.

Its fairly easy to dominate when you also own the largest platform and can block competitors from it. Or, in Facebooks case, get away with acting like a publisher while not being held accountable for it.

Other than the android phone I use & youtube, that's it for me and google as well.

YouTube is the last Google product I use extensively, hard to get off seeing as you need to convince the creators involved to stop using it too. At best you can use a wrapper like NewPipe to at least deny them the data, but then you can't interact with the creators or community, which is a bummer.

Luckily, YouTube is doing its level best to drive small creators away in favor of the studios and fatuous late night bobbleheads we're all trying to get away from, so the rise of alternatives like Odysee has been meteoric. I can't wait to toss YouTube in the trash heap of dead social media platforms.

Big tech and most big media have far more influence and systemic power than government. That's not just a problem, it's thee problem. Globally.

Big tech and most big media have far more influence and systemic power than government. That's not just a problem, it's thee problem. Globally.

Which Government? Is it worse than media controlled by the Russian Government, the Turkish government or even the Trump-dominated previous US government?

Howard Finch: Hester's living off the grid - no photos online and nothing on the social networking sites.

John Reese: I never understood why people put all their information on those sites. Used to make our job a lot easier at the CIA.

Howard Finch: Of course. That's why I created them.

John Reese: You're telling me you invented online social networking, Finch?

Howard Finch: The Machine needed more information. People's social graph, their associations. The government had been trying to figure it out for years. Turns out most people were happy to volunteer it. Business wound up being quote profitable, too.

You don't catch me using those shoddy sites. A couple of tech forums is the extent of my online posting.

Back