Open beta for 'Battlefield 1' begins August 31

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Battlefield 1, the highly anticipated upcoming WWI-era first-person shooter from Electronic Arts, will be available to play via public beta later this month.

Those who register as a Battlefield Insider, EA’s free online testing community, will get to play even earlier. So long as you join before August 21 and select your preferred platform (PlayStation 4, Xbox One or PC), you’ll be able to get early access to the open beta which begins (for everyone else) on August 31.

The Battlefield 1 public beta will feature two franchise favorite modes – Conquest and Rush – on the new Sinai Desert map that accommodates up to 64 simultaneously players. Dice says the map includes a new controllable Armored Train behemoth, ridable horses and three new Elite Classes – Sentry, Flame Trooper and Tank Hunter.

Note that any progress made or achievements earned won’t transfer over to the final game once the beta is complete.

EA and Dice published a new gameplay trailer on Monday ahead of this week’s Gamescom convention in Cologne, Germany. As you can see, this game is certainly shaping up to be something special as it blends both primitive forms of combat and transport with cutting-edge technology of the time.

Gamescom, by the way, runs from August 17 through the 21st (the first day is for industry personnel and media only).

Battlefield 1 is set to arrive on the aforementioned platforms on October 21 although you can play a few days early by pre-ordering the Early Enlister Deluxe Edition (at a $20 premium) or joining EA’s subscription service, EA Access.

Permalink to story.

Well ..... we'll just have to see. It looks cool, but if it restricts the players to those "lanes" then it will be just more of the same old battlefield .... but hey, I'm keeping an open mind; maybe they'll surprise me!

Well ..... we'll just have to see. It looks cool, but if it restricts the players to those "lanes" then it will be just more of the same old battlefield .... but hey, I'm keeping an open mind; maybe they'll surprise me!
What do you mean "those lanes"?

Anyways, this will determine if I bother to buy it or not. Friends and I noticed how the alpha was the closest thing to a COD game for the series to date. The gun mechanics, such as the insanely strong random spread were atrocious. Hoping they changed a lot of things...

Back