Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

Open Forum: What do you use for messaging with friends and for work?

By Julio Franco ยท 45 replies
Oct 7, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. In honor of AIM, one of the oldest messaging platforms that is shutting down after 20 years of service, it's reminded me of other platforms that have gone away but were very popular at its peak: ICQ, MSN Messenger, mIRC, among others.

Messaging and social apps are more popular than ever, seeing tremendous growth and evolution in the last half decade. With dominant platforms -- depending on where you live and the purpose of communication -- that could be WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, Instagram, Line, Snapchat, Facebook (or their own Messenger), Slack, and the list goes on.

In this weekend's open forum, tell us what chat platform you remember being your first widely used platform and what do you use today for messaging and keeping in touch with friends and what else do you use (if any) for work related communication?

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  2. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,252   +1,316

My phone because if it's important enough to message people from work I can't rely on facebook....

psycros likes this.
  3. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,832   +1,242

Sticky notes or email.

4. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Guru Posts: 707   +379

Messenger for work ... Allo for friends & family.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,273

I never paid any attention to any messaging apps until I purchased my first Android phone and used WhatsApp. Until then, whenever I messaged anyone or anyone messaged me, it was via good old SMS's. That always did the trick.

6. Greg S

Greg S TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,030   +427

I have GroupMe on my phone for larger group messages. It works well and is on iOS, Android, and Windows 10.

7. tuxbugy

tuxbugy TS Rookie

Slack at work, Hangouts with friends.

8. acsuna

acsuna TS Rookie

Yahoo messenger :(,RIP

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,302   +798

SMS, Viber, Skype. Because everyone has it.

10. thejokercu

thejokercu TS Rookie

At the beginning (1998) we had ICQ as a local server messaging platform (intranet) at work but with the needing of remote assistance in real time now we got teamviewer and for friends whatsapp

11. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 793   +369

100% facebook messenger for the last couple years.

12. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,278   +628

I usually just use SMS or email.

13. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 2,592   +1,031

I use both Messenger and Whatsapp.

14. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 1,523   +690

Used to use ICQ.... and occasionally MSN as well - had Trillian which could use both at the same time...

IRC is NOT dead by the way.... not exactly ideal for messenger-type service, but excellent for group communication (as well as downloading shady pieces of software :) ).

Now I use my phone for messaging anyone I actually know in real life... Skype for those I only know online....

Dyson Parkes likes this.
  15. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,270   +1,942

Smoke Signals ..... while hack-able, you can't beat the encryption!

16. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +232

Skype with family/friends, Slack with co-workers.

17. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,246   +407

I use Gmail to text my daughters on their Verizon phones

18. Hollow

Hollow TS Rookie

Skype pro at work (which sucks most of the time), messenger(facebook messages + sms) and whatsapp

19. Banchee

Banchee TS Rookie

Wire.com for me is the best.
    Encrypted Chat
    Encrypted Video
    Encrypted Calling
    Encrypted Group Chat
    ( Web, iOS, Android )
    Free

20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,268   +454

Cisco Jabber at work and Google Hangouts for personal stuff. I worked for AOL before it got really big (pre-unlimited dial-up access) so I was a big AIM user as well.

21. BSim500

BSim500 TS Evangelist Posts: 371   +624

For friends, phone & texting. For work, I shout to them from across the room...

22. CrisisDog

CrisisDog TS Booster Posts: 139   +33

Cisco Jabber at work, it's the only thing that's been allowed inside our network...

23. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Evangelist Posts: 352   +114

Man, here in Brazil, WhatsApp is huge. No less than 100% of people here use it. Specially, because, in general, it doesn't count towards your monthly data cap. And you can use it even if you have (for any reason) reached your monthly cap.

24. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Evangelist Posts: 544   +353

SMS!

Work Email for annoying coworkers! If they tried to call, my answering machine will remind them that not to bother me with work.

25. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 793   +369