Opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hi guys

Currently i have a gigabyte k8ns pro motherboard with 1gb of ram, an 8xagp nvidia geforce 6200 graphics card, 160 gig hard drive with windows xp and an athlon 64 754 pin cpu.

i am selling this with all the others like monitor ect.

My question is what shell i do, build another basic comp with upgrade possibilities for later or add the money to what i have at the moment and build a super computer? or just get a laptop or build two computers!?

Cheers Baltan

It would be good to know what you will be using the computer for.

I would like to know what type of computer you want as gaming, multimedia etc... and also what is your budget for it???

Basically I am going to build a gaming computer, that can also handle everyday tasks. The budget is around £750 , but if i sell the computer i have now it will be some thing closer to £900.

So i was wondering weather to build one mean machine or build 2 machines?

-Baltan

I will recommend you to build 2 machines if you can...

With a Dual Core Processor, 2GB RAM and a good graphic card (Nvidia or ATI)...

Basically I am going to build a gaming computer, that can also handle everyday tasks. The budget is around £750 , but if i sell the computer i have now it will be some thing closer to £900.

So i was wondering weather to build one mean machine or build 2 machines?

-Baltan

You should build one powerful computer. So... £900 is equal to $1,766.94 (at the time of writing). That should give you a pretty powerful computer. You should check out this very well written guide by Matthew DeCarlo to build your computer : https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/page3.html
Looking at the price, I think you should consider upgrading the RAM to 4Gb and buying Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit to gain the full advantage of it.

Yes it is recommended if you took 4GB of RAM to take a 64bit windows version normally I will recommend Windows Vista due to some option you have better than in XP 64bit. As if you take a 32bit version with 4GB RAM only 3.5GB will be detected by windows.

If i do decide to build one big computer what processor would be the best choice to go for AMD or Intel?

If i was to consider building two system the cheaper one would have the AMD with upgrade possabilities in the future and the other one would have either and AMD or Intel. Im guessing Intel is better for gaming>?

-Baltan

Try this build :

Grand Total = £586.6 including VAT. Those are the core parts I recommend. The rest of them I leave upto you. That would get you a blazing fast PC, that can do anything you want.

For two systems, I'd go with an Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU for the cheaper one, since it'd give you near-C2D performance for a fraction of the price. Also, for a good, cheap motherboard, the GA-G31M-S2L is a great one that is available for less than £40. The more expensive one could have an E7200 along with the same motherboard as the cheaper system. I'm guessing the more expensive system would be the one used for gaming? Throw in a single HD 4870 and you'd have a pretty good gaming system.
FYI, I wouldn't go with anything AMD offers, especially since Intel offers products at the same price points that perform on par or better. Getting an Intel system also gives you a better upgrade path than an AMD one, since at the mid-end and high-end, Intel rules the roost.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

I will ask you to take and Intel as if you want to play well Intel is the best for that even that AMD is still good for.

If you want a very performance processor so I will recommend a Quad Core one.

Here some details about it:
Core 2 Quad Description

And the price here:
Newegg

But if yoy dont want too much preformance then you may go for the Core 2 Duo Processor
Description

Any problems ordering from eBuyer? As far as I can see, they have the best prices and for all the items I've linked to, delivery is free. Anyways, look for the same items on those two sites if you can't buy from eBuyer.

Oh and FYI, the E8400 is much faster at almost everything than the Q6600, besides running cooler and drawing less power.

Rage_3K_Moiz how long would that build last until i would need to upgrade it again?

I will post details of the system i am going to build later when i get the chance!

-Baltan

It would last a long time IMO, although you may want to get a quad-core CPU if you're not going to upgrade again for more than 4-5 years. But otherwise, everything will last for at least 2-3 years before you need an upgrade, but much longer if you get a quad-core CPU.

If your system does what you use it for, there is no need to build a new system. I am still using 4 and 5 year old computers and they do everything I need.

If your system does what you use it for, there is no need to build a new system. I am still using 4 and 5 year old computers and they do everything I need.

Not wrong that as me I just leave a Pc that I buy since 1997 and do some upgrade like RAM and Motherboard (Processor too). And its only this year that I buy me a new one but I'm still using the old one and it works fine for everyday task like browsing, chatting, music, etc...

Can someone tell me what is the purpose of two graphic cards? Do that they work at the same time or at different times?

Thanks

-Baltan

The purpose of two graphics card is name "Crossfire" The two graphic will work together but for that you need to have a motherboard that is capable for crossfire.

so basically you can get any two along as they work with the motherboard and have crossfire?

Well, as long as the motherboard supports crossfire (Has 2 or more PCI-Express slots and a Crossfire Chipset) and you have the special connector (Crossfire Bridge) for it, they can work together. But only expect an ~50% increase in power, 2 won't specifically DOUBLE the power but it certainly helps A LOT.

my recommendation on crossfire or sli would be to get a better video card and then upgrade it in a few years when there are better out. this will use less power and be cheaper in the long run rather then trying to new video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back