Oppo shows off its extremely curved 'waterfall screen'

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Oppo has long been a company that isn’t afraid to innovate when it comes to new phone technologies. Now, the Chinese giant has revealed a prototype handset that takes the idea of curved displays to the extreme: the ‘waterfall screen.’

Phone displays with curved edges have been around since Samsung’s 2014 Note Edge. The feature is used to create to the virtually bezel-less Infinity Display found on its flagships since the S8, but the curves on Oppo’s device are anything but gentle. Both sides have an 88-degree slope, meaning the bezels are pretty much invisible when viewed head-on. This should also give the device a 100 percent (or near) screen-to-body ratio.

The design, which was shown off by Oppo vice-president Brian Shen on Weibo, does raise a few questions. It appears that the app icons wrap completely around the screen, which could mean it’ll be easy to accidentally touch them while holding the device. There are obviously no side buttons, suggesting they’ll be placed at the top or simply be absent altogether. And there’s no notch or a top bezel large enough for camera sensors. With Oppo and Xiaomi recently posting videos of in-development under-display selfie cameras, could this prototype use the technology, or will it be a popup camera like what we’ve seen in other handsets?

It appears Oppo isn’t the only one working on a phone with steep sides and a high screen-to-body ratio. Vivo, which has the same parent company—BBK Electronics—is reportedly using two pieces of glass with 90-degree curves in its Vivo Nex 3, giving it a screen-to-body ratio of over 100 percent.

Permalink to story.

Over 100%?
As compared to the flat plane projection of the body. The pure radiused edges of the screen are longer than the distance to the true edge of the device.

Arguably the distance of the radius is Pi X D /4 So. a 1" diameter circle has a 1/"2 radius. Pi x 1" = 3.14/ 4 = (about .76" or 1.5 x the actual radius". So, from an advertisers perspective the screen is "larger than 100%"

That math is real rough, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift.

I'm just going to go ahead and ignore the fact that those curved edges are most likely, completely worthless for actual viewing..

Last edited:
My girlfriend has Samsung edge and protective glass breaks so easily on those curved sides that she's tired of changing them so thanks but no thanks.

No thanks! I PREFER just a bit of bezel, if anything else, to protect the screen, but also so I can grip it so as to not "false touch" the screen.

They could cut the aesthetic crap and start giving us something to make a phone stand above, like a densier battery tech, so it can still thin but with more time of battery life. Curve screen only add breaking points to a fall prone gadget...

As compared to the flat plane projection of the body. The pure radiused edges of the screen are longer than the distance to the true edge of the device.

Arguably the distance of the radius is Pi X D /4 So. a 1" diameter circle has a 1/"2 radius. Pi x 1" = 3.14/ 4 = (about .76" or 1.5 x the actual radius". So, from an advertisers perspective the screen is "larger than 100%"

That math is real rough, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift.

I'm just going to go ahead and ignore the fact that those curved edges are most likely, completely worthless for actual viewing..
So I'm just playing with you here now just so we're clear ;-) but surely if you're comparing the whole area the glass occupies then it should be compared to the same area it wouldn't if it wasn't curved. I mean otherwise it's just not fair comparison. If they come up with a 360 wrap up with the glass then what, will they say the ratio is 200%?? I mean you don't go around saying the ratio the oceans cover the earth is >100% as it would be pure nonsense, water is covering a round shape not a flat one projected on a screen behind it so just like water takes a round shape of the 'body' it covers so is the body round therefore it will never cover more then 100%. It's rough but I'm sure you get my drift ;- P

So I'm just playing with you here now just so we're clear ;-) but surely if you're comparing the whole area the glass occupies then it should be compared to the same area it wouldn't if it wasn't curved. I mean otherwise it's just not fair comparison. If they come up with a 360 wrap up with the glass then what, will they say the ratio is 200%?? I mean you don't go around saying the ratio the oceans cover the earth is >100% as it would be pure nonsense, water is covering a round shape not a flat one projected on a screen behind it so just like water takes a round shape of the 'body' it covers so is the body round therefore it will never cover more then 100%. It's rough but I'm sure you get my drift ;- P
Dude, I included a disclaimer, which I'm sure, you inadvertently overlooked:

"So, from an advertisers perspective the screen is "larger than 100%"

But let's take a moment and examine a flat map of the round globe. The most often viewed version is called the "Mercator projection". And Kidz, I hate to spoil your view of the world, but Greenland really isn't anywhere near that big.

So, when you work backwards and try to project a spherical object unto a flat surface, the result is, "greater than 100% of its surface area".

Thus: ( :p )

mercator-vs-truesize.png

So, it should be patently obvious how Madison Avenue's "Mercator Advertising Agency", concluded that screen area of the phone in question is, "greater than 100%". :rolleyes: :laughing::facepalm:

If anybody cares, here's the page with the map story:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mercator-map-true-size-of-countries/

Last edited:
Oh man we all know what happens when you try to present a spherical object on a flat surface but just as they stretch or add stuff to fill the gaps they do it on both rhe land and the water so in this case if they can 'unroll' the glass area they should compare it to the same surface of unrolled plastic casing or whatever ;-) it will never be more then 100%! And yea I saw your disclaimer ( on 2nd read though ;-P)

Oh man we all know what happens when you try to present a spherical object on a flat surface but just as they stretch or add stuff to fill the gaps they do it on both rhe land and the water so in this case if they can 'unroll' the glass area they should compare it to the same surface of unrolled plastic casing or whatever ;-) it will never be more then 100%! And yea I saw your disclaimer ( on 2nd read though ;-P)
No, the phone's screen area is, in point of fact, greater than 100% of its planform.

What people should do and do do, are entirely different things. But, they can legitimately advertise the screen area as "greater than 100%" of the device's overall exterior dimensions.

And no, if you bounced around our inner cities, NOT everybody would understand the ramifications of trying to project a sphere onto a flat surface. The only thing many of those dwellers in "the asphalt jungle" do understand, is you either hand someone $10.00 and they hand you a bag of some kind of hard drug, or vice-verso.

Advertising isn't really aimed at the intellect, but rather the greed and emotional needs of those it's targeting. So, those interested in that asinine phone's screen design, will buy it.

I think it's grotesque, it looks like a child's toy, and the extra area rolling over the sides is absolutely, positively, useless.

But I don't even own any type of "smartphone", so perhaps I'm not really qualified to entertain this discussion. I can tell you, that if I ever do buy one, it will have an outer bezel.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to patiently waiting for the UPS guy to bring me the Nikon D7200 DSLR body I ordered yesterday. So, it also stands to reason I don't give a crap how many cameras this, "device" will possess either.

Last edited:
How about a phone who can watch Youtube 7 days streak with a single charge
Would that really be a priority with you? If so, you need a life.

If you watch YouTube in certain circumstances, you pur your life in danger, along with the lives of others. If you insist on such protracted viewing, I suggest putting up your favorite channel(s) on a desktop computer, or one of the new "smart TVs".

If it was a joke, you should have deflected or rephrased that away from yourself.

If Techspot were a diving competition, you just made a huge point stealing splash on entry..

Oh well, in spite of all that, "welcome to Techspot".(y) (Y)

(Hm, maybe I should try crowd funding a rolling backpack with a 12 volt truck battery , DC to DC converter and a wireless phone charger).

Last edited:
Back