Optical Audio Distortion (Fuzzy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I don't really know much about audio, so I'll just tell you guys what I'm experiencing. I have had the Tritton AX360 headset for quite some time now, and I've always used the analog 5.1 inputs. I've recently tried to use the optical cable, which has to go through the AX360 digital decoder that came with the headset. When I use the optical cable, the sound has a lot of background noise, even when I have the volume at 0. I do not have a sound card, and I am using onboard audio on my evga 122-CK-NF68-A1 motherboard, which has an azalia audio chipset with 8 audio channels.

Can somebody please help me understand why my sound does this?
If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If the headset has a mic built in, you might be hearing the feedback. You'd be surprised how much an idle mic will produce so if that's the case you might want to mute it out. If the onboard audio has some type of mixing software, you may want to look over the settings real quick to make sure everything is in line. Just as a heads up though, you would probably have better luck with a dedicated sound adapter over the onboard unit anyways. The integrated sound should work with the optical, but depending on how good the quality of the hardware is your results may be less than desirable.

Thanks Excell,

I'll try using the headset w/o the mic turned on when I get home from class today, I'll post the results.

- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back