Opus Test

MirekFe

I want to make sure that I'm making the right choice, and choosing the best lossy audio codec out there, today.

Time for the test.
Can you hear the difference?
Which one is opus (64 kbps), mp3 (320 kbps), or aac (128 kbps)?

Giorgio Moroder's - The Chase, will be used.

1) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RBibwyqKArl5ymR2EnfZqyYYRRijHDQG/view?usp=sharing
2) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xhzJYe3TUTw4G4wB9ldu_cTWBRyE3bhW/view?usp=sharing
3) https://drive.google.com/file/d/10iQdUefdM7TQHW0TaH9J30w23E2943iC/view?usp=sharing

The answer will be available in about a week.

Last edited:
I couldn't say which song is which file type, but #2 sounded differently. There was a reverberation or something, echoing some of the sounds. I would say #1 sounds cleaner to me. Seemed like I could still hear some of the reverberation in #3, but it wasn't nearly as much as what was in #2.

But then I'm not an audiophile, and my speakers are no where near top quality. So please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Why did you use different bit-rates for each file type? Using different bit-rates in my opinion makes the comparison unfair.

I couldn't say which song is which file type, but #2 sounded differently. There was a reverberation or something, echoing some of the sounds. I would say #1 sounds cleaner to me. Seemed like I could still hear some of the reverberation in #3, but it wasn't nearly as much as what was in #2.

But then I'm not an audiophile, and my speakers are no where near top quality. So please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Why did you use different bit-rates for each file type? Using different bit-rates in my opinion makes the comparison unfair.

I am doing an extreme test on whether or not people can really hear any difference. It's just I heard that opus gives the best result in lossy compression. That's why, I decided to make this an unfair comparison.

According to popular belief, 128kbps aac and 320kbps mp3 are considered to be of roughly the same sound.
And opus is considered to be able to get the same results, but at a lower bitrate of 64kbps.

This is just my first test. More will eventually come around.

P.S.: I will give the answer in about a week.

The reason why the aac file sounds 'good', is because it got rid of all the original imperfections.
When you listen through good headphones, you hear how the aac sounds dull and compressed (at least that's what I hear).

I really wish I could have played in this one but I'm in the middle of moving so all of my gear is packed up... and then of course I get the flu while I'm moving so I've lost almost a week.

I really wish I could have played in this one but I'm in the middle of moving so all of my gear is packed up... and then of course I get the flu while I'm moving so I've lost almost a week.

No worries. There will be a second opus test coming soon. It'll be more complicated.

This is way over my pay grade, but I admire you willingness to share these things here on TS @MirekFe, and I'm sure someone here on TS knows about these things you are posting; and will respond to your latest post.(y) Everyone likes to be appreciated for things that they contribute here on techspot. Hopefully someone will appreciate you and post a reply.;)

This is way over my pay grade, but I admire you willingness to share these things here on TS @MirekFe, and I'm sure someone here on TS knows about these things you are posting; and will respond to your latest post.(y) Everyone likes to be appreciated for things that they contribute here on techspot. Hopefully someone will appreciate you and post a reply.;)

I hope you're right. :)

I hope you're right. :)
I guess you will only know if your right if you give it your best shot and survive here on TS. That's all you can do IMHO, but what do I know? I have been wrong many times, so don't rely on me for the best advise. Do what you think you need to do, and hope for the best. How's that for advise? That's the best I can do for you my friend.

I guess you will only know if your right if you give it your best shot and survive here on TS. That's all you can do IMHO, but what do I know? I have been wrong many times, so don't rely on me for the best advise. Do what you think you need to do, and hope for the best. How's that for advise? That's the best I can do for you my friend.
Thanks. :)

Back