Orlando shooting prompts Facebook to activate its Safety Check for the first time in the US

midian182

Staff member

Last November’s terrorist attacks in Paris marked the first time that Facebook had deployed its Safety Check feature in a situation that wasn’t a natural disaster. Yesterday, the function was used for the first time in the US after a gunman massacred 50 people at an Orlando, Florida nightclub.

After seeing the way that social media was used to contact family and friends in the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Facebook started work on the Disaster Message Board, which was renamed Safety Check prior to its 2014 launch.

The tool lets Facebook users near the scene of a disaster or other deadly incident to confirm that they are okay by simply clicking a button. It also allows searches for anyone who may be in the affected area. The feature has already been used in the wake of two Nepalese Earthquakes and during Pacific Hurricane Patricia in 2015.

After 29-year-old Omar Mateen - now confirmed as a G4S employee at the time of the shooting - killed 50 people and injured 53 others with an assault rifle at the LGBT nightclub, Facebook’s Safety Check was activated.

“Following the community-generated Safety Check activation this morning in Orlando, we have now activated Facebook-initiated Safety Check for a mass shooting at a nightclub there. We hope the people in the area find the tool a helpful way to let their friends and family know they are okay,” a Facebook spokeswoman said.

Initially designed to help those affected by natural disasters, the Safety Check is increasingly being used in the aftermath of terrorist atrocities. In addition to yesterday’s shooting and the Paris incident, it was activated following the Lahore, Boko Haram, and Ankara bombings, as well as the attacks in Brussels.

Between January and May this year, Safety Check was deployed 17 times. Across the entirety of the previous two years the feature was activated on just 11 instances.

Permalink to story.

Conveniently missing from this piece is any identification of the Orlando shooting as an act of Islamic terrorism.

After 29-year-old Omar Mateen - now confirmed as a G4S employee at the time of the shooting - killed 50 people and injured 53 others with an assault rifle at the LGBT nightclub, Facebook’s Safety Check was activated.

A few points...

1. He's also a confirmed ISIS operative.
2. He didn't have an assault rifle (AR-15s aren't assault weapons)
3. You seem to have forgotten the sidearm and bomb vest also recovered from his body.

Accuracy counts, bro.

Conveniently missing from this piece is any identification of the Orlando shooting as an act of Islamic terrorism.

A few points...

1. He's also a confirmed ISIS operative.
2. He didn't have an assault rifle (AR-15s aren't assault weapons)
3. You seem to have forgotten the sidearm and bomb vest also recovered from his body.

Accuracy counts, bro.
And what is your source for him being an ISIS operative? Last I heard, this was all still under investigation by the FBI.

And whether or not a bomb vest/sidearm were recovered has no bearing whatsoever on the story at hand here, facebook using it's safety check system for the first time in the US. Stop trying to strawman.

And what is your source for him being an ISIS operative? Last I heard, this was all still under investigation by the FBI.

And whether or not a bomb vest/sidearm were recovered has no bearing whatsoever on the story at hand here, facebook using it's safety check system for the first time in the US.

One of many outlets reporting the ISIS bit: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us/orlando-shooting.html?_r=0

Properly describing the perpetrator also has everything to do with the story at hand. Facebook employing SC after a random assault != Facebook employing SC after a terrorist attack. By leaving out the details I mentioned in my original post, the frame of the story is completely detatched from what actually happened.

One of many outlets reporting the ISIS bit: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us/orlando-shooting.html?_r=0

Properly describing the perpetrator also has everything to do with the story at hand. Facebook employing SC after a random assault != Facebook employing SC after a terrorist attack. By leaving out the details I mentioned in my original post, the frame of the story is completely dethatched from what actually happened.
Next time, read your own article:

"Mr. Mateen had been investigated in the past for possible terrorist ties, but the F.B.I. ultimately found no evidence. "

"But officials cautioned that even if Mr. Mateen, who court records show was briefly married and then divorced, was inspired by the group, there was no indication that it had trained or instructed him, or had any direct connection with him."

So a lone wolf claiming "ISIS" now counts as an ISIS operative? It sure sound to me that him being an operative is not set in stone at all. Just pure speculation. Because "no indication of training or direct contact" is a FAR cry from "a confirmed ISIS operative"

Mentioning that he had a bomb vest (which, by the by, plenty of sources say he claimed to have one, but I've found no evidence that a bomb vest was recovered) doesnt change the story at all.

"After 29-year-old Omar Mateen - now confirmed as a G4S employee at the time of the shooting - killed 50 people and injured 53 others with an assault rifle at the LGBT nightclub, Facebook’s Safety Check was activated."

That sentence works properly without mentioning ISIS or a bomb vest. Not having that detail does not change the overall tone of the article, nor the point it was making.

Last edited:

"Mr. Mateen had been investigated in the past for possible terrorist ties, but the F.B.I. ultimately found no evidence. "

"But officials cautioned that even if Mr. Mateen, who court records show was briefly married and then divorced, was inspired by the group, there was no indication that it had trained or instructed him, or had any direct connection with him."

So a lone wolf claiming "ISIS" now counts as an ISIS operative? It sure sound to me that him being an operative is not set in stone at all. Just pure speculation. Because "no indication of training or direct contact" is a FAR cry from "a confirmed ISIS operative"

So if he pledges loyalty to ISIS, and ISIS claims responsibility (see the article I linked), kills 50 people in the name of Islam, he isn't an ISIS operative because he didn't show up for training camp? Please, dude.

That sentence works properly without mentioning ISIS or a bomb vest. Not having that detail does not change the overall tone of the article, nor the point it was making.

As I said, it frames the attack in a completely misleading way. The simple fact that commenters have to provide additional information to properly indicate the context should suffice to demonstrate the problem with the sentence.

So if he pledges loyalty to ISIS, and ISIS claims responsibility (see the article I linked), kills 50 people in the name of Islam, he isn't an ISIS operative because he didn't show up for training camp? Please, dude.

As I said, it frames the attack in a completely misleading way. The simple fact that commenters have to provide additional information to properly indicate the context should suffice to demonstrate the problem with the sentence.

Since when is ISIS is Islam? If that is the case then Ku Klax Klan + Hitler represent the Christians and Zionists represent the Jews.

Talking about accuracy of information, ISIS prefers calling itself Daesh since it does not recognise Iraq or Syria so how can it have countries it does not recognise in its own name then?

Since when is ISIS is Islam? If that is the case then Ku Klax Klan + Hitler represent the Christians and Zionists represent the Jews.

Talking about accuracy of information, ISIS prefers calling itself Daesh since it does not recognise Iraq or Syria so how can it have countries it does not recognise in its own name then?

The official designation for the group in the US is ISIS/ISIL.

You'd also do well to read twice before posting. At no point did I say ISIS "is" Islam. They are Muslims, ergo Islamic.

Thank you davislane1, completely agree with you.
Not sure why people are afraid to speak the truth.

On the tech side, for the "feature" to work, FB would need to know your location at ALLLLLLLLLL times.
It's times like these that I'm happy I don't have the FB app installed or/and that google now allows us to individually remove/disallow permissions to apps individually.

Yay for non-important stuff to the thread.

I find it's a great tool to use the Safety Check, the problem is those normally affected after a natural disaster loose phone and connectivity relatively fast so it's hard to use it on a way you can rely on, and may even bring more mayhem for your family and friends if you are unable to check in.

On the tech side, for the "feature" to work, FB would need to know your location at ALLLLLLLLLL times.
It's times like these that I'm happy I don't have the FB app installed or/and that google now allows us to individually remove/disallow permissions to apps individually.

Have to agree I also agree... atleast someone is posting facts. Time to stuck up on AR-15 parts and bullets boys... Prices are going to spike once again...

Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis) Its the first ( I ) in isis by definition

Often... Always, speaking the truth is not politically correct, that is why so many people are afraid to do it. There is a fear of backlash from others that do not share your view point, and cant accept the fact that people can dis-agree and still survive and get along.

Back