Outlook gets LinkedIn, Facebook and MySpace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Outlook is the latest of Microsoft's products to be tied into popular social networks. Last November, Microsoft revealed that a new feature called Outlook Social Connector would gather social feeds from social sites. LinkedIn was the first aboard, and a beta version of the LinkedIn OSC has just launched for Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 users.

Adding the feature lets you access your LinkedIn account to view your connections' status updates and photos next to emails they send you, as well as add more people. Outlook's contact information automatically updates based on your colleagues' LinkedIn phone number, email, and other details. Contact information can also be synced with your mobile phone.

Additionally, Redmond has revealed two new partnerships. Sometime in the next few months -- probably alongside the launch of Office 2010 -- Microsoft will release Facebook and MySpace OSC features for the email client. Among other things, users will be able view their friends' activity and photos.

Permalink to story.

Very interesting. I use Buzz - I am totally on Gmail so I wont be getting this just yet, but it may be a reason for me to go back to outlook. Buzz rocks for photography, which is where Facebook fails. But it's an interesting move ahead.

Neat, but for personal use only. The only place I use outlook is at work and I doubt that you'd want all of this stuff (Facebook, MySpace) on a PC/file that belongs to someone else (who can access it anytime they see fit)....unless you want all of your good and bad social networking laundry to be available. You hear the stories of people not hired or fired for their content/associations on these sites so it'd be interesting to see how those situations would play out in the workplace.

Oh great; now Oultlook can be infected by all the notorious social networking sites :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back