Paint, Wordpad, Notepad, system sound disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterproof

I first noticed this when I wanted to take a screenshot and i realised that paint was not on the list to use the program and it disappeared from my start menu, even system sound i could not find it in the list, also the system games, notepad,wordpad, messenger (the old msn one). The software I have installed is fine, computer is fine from viruses as well, it's just the microsoft system programs disappeared. (Office 2003 and 2007 is fine)

Also my Messenger refuse to sign in onto my account, using Yahoo was fine, tried signing it in (msn account) with trillion, won't work, but it did work when I logged into messenger via internet browser!

Live Messenger:

wlcomm.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c809e3a" referenced memory at "0x9e037275". The memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program..

I don't want to restore from a previous point because I don't know exactly the date the problem occurred, so I probably restore on a wrong date and lose what I have/bring back some uninstalled games I got rid of. I tried going into Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Add/Remove Windows Components > Accessories and Utilities but I don't have the windows discs it ask me, because I had my computer formatted from a local computer store.

Anyone know what is the problem? Tried google but didn't help with my specific problems. Would be nice if anyone could really help me! Thank you.

Some information on wlcomm.exe: Re: Beta Windows Live Messenger 9.0:
There is a potentially annoying new annoying system process though - wlcomm.exe that runs in the background.

"This is supposed to sign you into Windows Live Messenger faster and keep your contacts up-to-date across all Windows Live services. We're simply not fans of needing extra processes to do this kind of stuff - it's yet another reason for Windows to run more sluggishly."

Are you running the Beta version?

As for the missing Accessories, Do a search in Files & Folders for Accessories> right click on each you want on Start menu> click on 'pin to Start menu'.

I don't think the two problems are related. However, when experiencing an unexplained change on a system, it is always best to scan with the security programs: one antivirus, at least 2 spyware/adware programs, updating each right before the scan.

I solved the Messenger Issue, I tried to use the Windows CD to install the accessory files, it seems it hardly installs it, it would install paint, then notepad and wordpad is missing, then when i got it fixed system sound is missing. What is wrong with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back