Panasonic ships rugged 3lb, 12.1" Toughbook S9

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Panasonic is shipping what it says is Earth's lightest 12.1-inch laptop with a built-in DVD drive. At only three pounds, the Toughbook S9 is apparently leaner than competing mobile PCs, with specs including a 2.4GHz Core i5-520M vPro CPU, 2GB of RAM (supports as much as 6GB), 320GB of storage, a DVD burner, and up to 11 hours of battery life. It also sports a 1280x800 anti-glare display, a fingerprint reader, HDMI and VGA-out, as well as gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and optional WWAN connectivity.

Additionally, as its name indicates, Panasonic classifies the Toughbook S9 as being 'business rugged'. Its magnesium alloy chassis can sustain a base drop of 2.5 feet while operating or up to 1 foot from any angle while off, it can withstand 220 pounds of pressure on its lid and it has a spill-resistant keyboard. Unfortunately, all of this comes at a discouraging, but expected price premium. Panasonic says the Toughbook S9 is available in the US with an MSRP of $2,499, which includes a three-year warranty.

Permalink to story.

Looks good but having a case made from Magnesium concerns me with a lot of portable devices having battery issues.

LOL it's funny because it's explosive! Im sure a laptop blowing up in a company head's lap will sure "put some money" into research batteries that don't explode!

What's with the circular touch pad? I'm not sure if I like that. And the battery life is up to 11 hours before it imminently explodes, right?

Back