Pandora One hikes monthly subscription fee for new users, scraps annual subscription

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Pandora has announced a hike in the monthly subscription fee of Pandora One, a premium service that allows users to listen without advertising. Starting in May, new users will have to pay a subscription fee of $4.99 per month. "Over the next couple of months, we will be implementing some changes to our Pandora One subscription plan", the Pandora Team said in a blog post. Existing users will continue to pay $3.99 per month.

According to Pandora, the reason behind the price hike is the service delivery cost, which has grown considerably in the last five years. Royalty rates have increased 53 percent in the same time frame, and will increase another 9 percent in 2015, the company said.

The company has also decided to scrap the annual subscription option. This means that you'll now only have the pay-per-month option. All annual subscribers will be migrated to a "discounted loyalty price" of $3.99 per month with their next renewal. They'll be notified as the update is applied to their subscription.

Given that the price hike will come into effect in May, those who want to get in for $3.99 a month can sign up now. That being said, this doesn’t mean that the old subscription model will be around forever. The company currently has more than 250 million registered users, out of which only 3.3 million have subscribed to Pandora One.

This is the first time Pandora One has hiked its subscription price ever since it debuted in 2009. Initially, the service was priced at $36 per year, and later on, a $3.99 per month option was added.

Permalink to story.

I don't see the need to pay. It's nice of them to offer this for free. I just use AdBlock and boom... no more ads. Every couple hours on the PC I have to tell it to resume. Also have adblock on my rooted phone so no ads there either (and no need to resume playback). On-demand media has made the old advertising models obsolete, so either you find a new way to make money (I.e., not ads) or you go away. Perhaps Pandora is on the road to the latter if they can't get people to subscribe. Of course if all of the streaming services went to a pay-only model there are still other free (even if not legal) options.

Pandora the worst service in the world, its not even available in the top 5 countries in the world!
As long as it is available in the US,and it is, that is all that matters. Pandora works on my phone tablet PC and TV and has great service no drop outs and as said with ad blockers turned on on my PC Phone and Tablet I have no problems with ads either.

It's too bad that not only the price is going up, but moreso the fact that royalty rates keep increasing; most of that royalty increase probably does not even go to the artists (unless they own their own label)...

I was about to say "well I was thinking about going pandora one but not anymore" but then I realized... if I was going to do it I would have done it a long time ago, so it is a moot point. If QoS drops for some reason in the long run there is always iHeartRadio or similar services.

That's sad news. I don't see why they can't offer an annual Plan for $45 / $55 (Loyalty / New users). Now that I know AdBlock removes the commercials I just won't bother renewing my subscription. Thanks @insect.

Back