PC boots but display is blank

After trying to bring my pc out of sleep, it powered up appropriately but the display was blank. I did all the usual - power cycle, checked connections, reset cmos, re-seated all hardware, and swapped dvi cable. I believe the monitor is fine (Dell 3007) - when dvi is disconnected, it cycles through black, white, and color screens. This model does NOT have an OSD. The computer still boots to windows 7 successfully. I know this because I use a software KVM program called Synergy which allows me use the PC's mouse and keyboard through my network to control my laptop (very cool program by the way). I'm typing this message on my laptop using the keyboard on my PC - while my monitor sits there looking stupid. I'm inclined to believe that the video card has failed, but before replacing it, I wanted to ask if anyone could think of an alternate source to the problem or if there is another test I can perform to troubleshoot it. For example, can I move the video card from the x16 PCI-E slot to the x4 PCI-E slot? Would this pose a risk to anything? Also, can a video card fail in such a way as to allow successful boot but give no signal? By-the-way, the monitor does not show anything at any point during POST or boot. Thank you in advance.

The problem appears to be the motherboard. I went ahead and moved the video card to the x4 slot. That did the trick.

Inspect the PCI-e slot closely - magnification and strong light.... I had one 'fail' until I removed a tiny scrap of metal which was in the wrong place (I think it was a bit of tinned wire). Could also be a bad solder joint on the connector to motherboard connection.

Back