PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00uk

PC 1 Problem:
Hi, I recently built a new PC for a family member, but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge, couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way, I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which is which on the wire, at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other. (Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case.)

PC 2 Problem:
On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can't identify what is wrong I have built a few PC's but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard.

Thanks in Advance!

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

Ok, Thanks for the information Tmagic650
Sorry I made a mistake on my post I can'T identify the problem, any clues?

On what could be causing the burning smell, I read some posts and someone never put there motherboard on stand-offs, I have so thats not the problem.

Be very sure that you have not used too many standoffs either, and that all the memory and add-in cards are fully seated. It could be a fan... It is also possible that the motherboard is fried. Does the system boot?

Hi,
The system does boot up, Again this is another PC where I changed the motherboard due to the old one not working.
I used the stand off that were used on the old motherboard, the old motherboard burnt out due to being switch on and off constantly by a little kid, so I used what was already provided 4/5 stand-offs on a micro ATX motherboard (the small ones that can only take 2 RAM sticks),

One thing i need to know could the thermal grease I used be the problem? because I just realised I have a cheap one

Thanks again

You could try cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying just a small amount of a better paste like Arctic Silver. That burning smell might be the "cheap" paste getting hot

Hi, thanks alot for the help I will do that as soon as I can, the owner of the PC out of town so when he comes back on Monday will get the machine back of him and change the thermal compound,

Again Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back