PC hangs lot, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmanjavaid16

Hi!

I am Usman Javaid from Pakistan. I purchased a new Desktop PC on February 6th 2009 and since then I'm having some serious problem. My PC hangs a lot no matter what I'm doing. It hangs for on its own and "somtimes" it hangs for few seconds and then suddenly a blue screen appears with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in
the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacture for driver
update.Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove
or disable components, restart your, press f8 to select advance options, and
then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0x806e694f,0xa8625264,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance."

There is NO fixed time interval after which the PC hangs. Sometimes it hangs once or twice a day, sometimes once or twice a week. But it keeps on hanging and the blue screen error also keeps on coming quite frequently.

My PC specs are as follow:
>Intel DualCore E2500 (2.5 GHz)
>MSI 945GCM7-F Motherboard
>1 GB Kingston Ram (tried both 667 AND 800 Cache)
>160 GB Western Digital Hard Disk

>I have changed my 1 GB ram and tested the PC with my friend's ram which is 100% OK, but still this problem persists.
>I have a fully updated antivirus (ESET Smart Security 4.0).
>I have tried re-installing Windows XP quite a few times and also tried with windows Vista. Again the PC hangs.
>I have checked for bad sectors or any errors in my Hard Disk using Windows Disk Checking Utility in Windows XP and the Hard Disk seems to be OK.
>I have also fully formatted PC and broken the partition and made it again.
>I have enabled and installed complete system updates (Microsoft Automatic Updates).

Nothing seems to be working. Also Sometimes an Error Report is created saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error". After clicking on the "Send" button, a Web Page opens saying "Blue screen error caused by a device or driver".

My PC hangs a lot and I'm really very upset because of this. After all it is my new PC.

I hope you will help me in sorting out this problem.

Regards,
Usman Javaid

Usually, you will find it is a memory issue since you apparently do not have a separate video graphics card... the other likely cause.
If you can keep it running, run MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes. Run it separately on each memory module. That will either find a problem, or rule out something that is the most common cause.
I would add a second memory module anyway, if the cost can be found in your budget.
Then I would download and run (if indeed it will run) the free Avira Antivir (or Avast), SuperAntispyware, and Malware Bytes.

I personally think it's not the ram because i have tested my friend's RAM which is 100% OK and he has been running it for a long time. i'm using his ram since last week and this prob never seem to have finish..

and yes you are right...I do not have a separate graphics cards...i have on-board intel 82945g express graphic chipset (built-in)

and i have installed eset smart security 4.0 and fully updated it for the viruses and spywares etc..

It is absolutely important to rule out memory by test in your own system... use MemTest86.
Otherwise, you never know... There is no good reason to think that because his memory works for him that it should work for you...
I am not familiar with ESET Smart Security 4.0. I hope you are.

1) If your machine was new in Feb it might be well worthwhile to check on your warranty

2) Your specific BSOD is due to memory access violations. So, of course, thoroughly double checking/testing your current memory is prudent. But, that said, there are still several other things that can indirectly cause those memory access violations
>> First, please do double check and verify this MSI link I found is, in fact, the EXACT and CORRECT match for your motherboard (i also noticed MSI had some variations with a 945GCM7-F V2 model number as well)
>> What BIOS version are you running? Note the latest MSI BIOS v2.3 release notes indicate some memory related compatibility fixes
>> Faulty / corrupt drivers can also indirectly cause your problem. Have you also tried running without any external / unneeded devices attached?
>> Don't know if you're running Vista or XP now (exact instructions will vary between the two) but you should also
===> Set your Recovery options to generate crash minidump files. You can then post a few here and have someone here take a look to help see if they trace back to a specific driver
===> Check your Windows Event Logs also (specifically, the System and Application logs) to see if they might have any helpful clues

Asking for _my_ help in another person's thread is not appropriate.
Given that you have failed to respond to the advice given by both LookingAround and Raybay,
I don't see what else ANY of us can do for you.
When you have followed their suggestions, exactly, then repost, and one of us will reply when we are able.

well i dont know what is minidump and how to generate mnidumps as said by LookinAround. thats why i wanted more help. please explain to me what should i do!!

I usually play games on my PC. And I doubt I receive this blue screen message while playing one game, Counter-Strike (Online). But I'm not sure about it.

>Intel DualCore E2500 (2.5 GHz)
>MSI 945GCM7-F Motherboard [http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=945GCM7-F&class=mb]
>2 GB Transcend Ram (tried both 667 AND 800 Cache)
>160 GB Western Digital Hard Disk

THINGS I HAVE TRIED ((UPDATED)):

>I have changed my originally bought 1 GB ram and tested the PC with my friend's ram which is 100% OK, but still this problem persists.
>Now I have bought a 2GB Transcend ram 800 cache. Again no help to the cause
>I have a fully updated antivirus (ESET Smart Security 4.0). I have also scanned my full system for viruses and spywares etc.
>I have tried re-installing Windows XP quite a few times and also tried with windows Vista. Again the PC hangs.
>I have checked for bad sectors or any errors in my Hard Disk using Windows Disk Checking Utility in Windows XP and the Hard Disk seems to be OK.
>I have also fully formatted PC and broken the partition and made it again.
>I have enabled and installed complete system updates (Microsoft Automatic Updates).
>I have tried running the PC by turning OFF the automatic updates. Again the PC got hung.
>I had installed a utility from my Motherboard's CD regarding my processor, namely DualCore Center to check whether my PC gets over-heated OR not. The temperature it showed when my PC got hung once was 51 degrees Celcius.

One more thing. My PC is always connected to DSL(internet). But I dont think in any way this can lead to the PC hang!

I also want to further verify that does my PC gets OVER-HEATED?? How should I check whether it gets Over heated or not. When my PC is in HANG STATE, I have checked that ALL 3 FANS of my system are working (running).

We need more datail on your system and what you are doing when the system fails.
Intel DualCore E2500 (2.5 GHz), MSI 945GCM7-F Motherboard, M7-F&class=mb], 2 GB Transcend brand memory but memory type not listed, 160 GB Western Digital Hard Disk, but no description of video graphics.
What is your operating system and is it a legal verision that is installed?
What are the specs on your power supply.
Did you run the requested Memtest86 free version, or will it not run because the system hangs?
Have you checked the thermal past between the cpu and the heat sink so assure you have neither too much or not enough? Does your cpu fan seem stable, and turning freely? What do you have for a fan cooling the case?
Give a lot of detail on your system, and what you are doing when it hangs.
We cannot help you unless you help us.

sorry for late reply..
well sure, i'l give more details!!

>I have a 2GB DDR-II Transcend RAM 800 cache.
>There is no graphics card. Only on-board graphic chipset i.e. Intel 82945g express chipset . I can see in dxdiag that this built-in vga is 128MB.
>I have installed a fresh copy of windows again. My current operating system is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. And this was not a legal version. Instead it is made legal by following the steps on the Internet.
>Power Supply is ATX 350W.

I have not yet run memtest86. Can u kindly plz explain me what this test is all about and what can be concluded after this test? And what is to be done to conduct this test?

"Have you checked the thermal past between the cpu and the heat sink so assure you have neither too much or not enough?
What do you have for a fan cooling the case?"

[I cannot get wat u mean to say here]

MY SYSTEM HANGS ANYTIME NO MATTER WHAT I'M DOING.

My PC is always connected to a 1MB DSL (Internet). And I have noticed that it hangs when there is something related to Internet. I mean that sometimes it hangs when I'm surfing the Internet, sometimes it hangs when I'm playing online (Counter-Strike 1.6 Online). But this never means that it does not hang when I'm not connected to the Internet. Infact whenever I use the PC I turn ON my Modem so that I can connect to the Internet. I'm using Shiro DSL805E ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem.

Since past three-four days, my PC have been hanging at average 3 times a day. Today it hung 4 times.

Is this Information Enough? Guyz plz help out!!

Another thing i forgot to tell. I have noticed that when I'm playing Counter Strike (Mostly Online), the PC may sometime hang for few seconds and only in this case the Blue Screen of Death with the error message discussed above (first post) appears and I have to restart the system. I have not yet experienced this blue Screen of Death so far other than while playing this Game (counter-strike).

Also I have noticed that whenever I interchange the ports of keyboard and mouse and then turn ON my PC, the PC is then always in a hang state even at the Log-On screen (of windows xp). So I have to always insert the keyboard pin to a specific port and same is the case with the mouse. I mean to say that I cannot place the keyboard pin to the port in which I insert the mouse pin and similarly I cannot place the mouse pin to the port in which I insert the keyboard pin. My keyboard and mouse are normal i.e. NOT USB but serial.

That is all what I usually experience when my PC hangs.

Now plz help me find the solution for my PC Hang Problem!!

As far as I know there is no way to "make an illegal copy legal"? Please tell us exactly what you mean.

Until you verify that your software is legal, you will be waiting for help for a very long time!
TechSpot does not support or condone any form of piracy.

Please return to https://www.techspot.com/vb-faq.html
and followup with https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic114336.html
and then with https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html

and then read this thread... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86232.html

Note... Courtesy is also expected.
This means avoiding "shouting" (all caps, all bold, all underlining, etc), and it means exhibiting patience with all the volunteers here
who so generously donate their time and expertise to help a "boatload" of people, all of whom are just as desperate to have their issues fixed as you are.

well, I'm sorry for "shouting". I only wanted to emphasis on the answers raised by raybay!!

I wanted to say that my operating system was a pirated copy of windows but it was activated from Microsoft windows genuine advantage site. Now its not pirated but genuine!!

And once again I'm sorry for "shouting".

Genuine Advantage is only for the moment. Be aware that Microsoft has shown a pattern of relabeling operating sytems when they considered them to be not genuine. Funny things happen when your copy is not genuine. If you want to be certain whether your Windows is still considered genuine, run the Genuine Diagnostics tool, which will often run diagnostics on the problem you are having. You can download and run the MGADiag utility at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 .

I run this test. My windows is Genuine according to this test.

Well have a look at this new minidump I got. I got a blue screen of death while playing Counter Strike ONLINE tonight (28th Jul 12:50am). First it counted to 100 slowly, then it said that dumping complete. When I restarted the PC and went to Minidumps folder, I found this minidump along with 2 others.

I hope this will help to my cause. kindly you people have a look at it!!

Thnx in advance!!

Your minidump has an error of 0x0000008E KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED which is rather common unfortunately. However your exception code isn't one of the common ones and the dump cites pci.sys as being an issue.

What PCI cards do you have in your machine? I have had a similar problem which turned out to be a faulty 56k dial up modem and once removed the PC ran fine. Even though the person was not using the modem.

Please check eventviewer for additional information.

Start > Run > Type eventvwr > Select system.

Post back details on any red errors that are there.

Yes, and we have seen a lot of errors, even though the modem was not ever used or operational... so do not discount them out of hand.

hey thnx for ur quick reply and help! :)

well I have attached a lan card to a PCI slot 3 days back. But this lan card was not in use when this BSOD appeared. There is one red error in event viewer on 27th Jul 2009 and its ID is 4307. I would also like to add here that I used to get these BSODs even before adding this lan card.

I went to the shop from where I assembled my PC. They said that if my PC hung only when connected to the DSL, then there might be a problem in my built-in ethernet slot in the motherboard where the ethernet cable is inserted. Can it be true??

Because I have observed that my PC is hanging only while browsing, downloading and playing online. And I'm getting BSoD only while playing Counter Strike ONLINE.

That can be true, but it is very rare. Since you have added a LAN card, that can no longer be the cause... if they disabled the socket.
Test by going to a friends house who has a Cable modem that is not DSL.
In addition, the Shop who assembled your system, if they are up to snuff, can test that hardware thoroughly and easily. DSL is just plain screwy in some parts of the country. We have every kind of problem you can imaging, and this is one of them, in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, and Utah... on a Qwest connection or Blue Sky.
What is your DSL connection speed, and does it vary a lot? We frequently see speed swings of as much as 100 kbps. If so, you may need a dedicated line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back