PC hangs randomly for some seconds, then comes back

Hello there, i will try to be as much as descriptive as possible

About 1.5 months ago i got infected with a google redirect virus which i managed to get rid of. Usual anti spywares didnt help so i got help from another forum that had me use combofix and some stuff and the virus gone. After that though my pc hangs/freezes for some seconds (some application still function, like skype call) and comes back after it

I had windows 7 x64 ultimate. I decided to do a format but was getting an error during "expanding files". I decided to take my pc to a store for a technical check. They did it yesterday and said that hardware was fine (i myself did some memtest check before that). They put windows 7 x32 starter in my pc. At start problem seemed solved but after using a call with skype (dont know if its a coincidence) the random freezes started again (and they were VERY often). I uninstalled skype but still getting some of them (not that often).

I monitor temperatures with everest and nothing seems overheated. Seems like my hardware is doing ok (i hope). I try keep it clean with good space and heating. Pc i am using is :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
4,00 GB Ram (Corsair Twinx DDR2 6400)
Western Digital 500GB WD50001ABYS RE2 SAT.
Plextor DVDR PX-810SA ATA Device
ASUS P5K Premium Wi-Fi (motherboard)
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 512MB

Any tip as what to do or what to check would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance

Tasos

(after browsing some of your forums i saw that what i found out in event viewer is a problem that some others have here. The problem states "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0". I will download and use "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" for my HD. I will let u know with the results (feel free to post and tell me what else i have to do, cheers)

From what you have found reported in your Event Viewer it looks likely that there is a minor problem with your hard drive, the diagnostics should show up any issues. I would also reseat the connection on your hard drive. And, check in your Bios in Peripherals that the SATA controller is enabled.

Memtest, that you have used, is very good at finding faults but it can miss minor ones. If your hard drive comes up clean I would run the PC for a while with memory intensive programs, games or a video, with just one memory stick installed, then swap them over if the problems persist. This is the best way to test your memory.

Hello and thanks for your reply. First thing i did was to unplug DvD from motherboard. After doing it and so far the "hang" problem dissapeared completely. Not sure if its the DvD or some fault at motherboard. I might plug it at another sata and see if the problem comes back. As for now pc runs very smoothly

Well, we live and learn the DVD drive would have been the last ditch thing I would have tried. Well done for figuring it out. Hope it continues to behave. The fault is more likely to be in the drive rather than the mobo.

Back