PC is very slow, I suspect others are connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadpill42

When I first got this PC, the downloads were faster and things loaded quickly. Now it is very slow and I can't stand it. I don't think that I have a WPA or WEP enabled and I don't know how to check. Also, I don't know how to check if others are connected to my router. Please do say so, and if I do, please guide me through on how to enable the WPA and such.

Well, before we jump to the conclusion that someone is leeching off of you, is it wireless? (not being a smart***, but sometimes people make that mistake)

Second, have you been keeping your computer maintained? (Defragmenting, CCleaner, Disk Cleanup, etc.)

continuation of post # 2

.....endless number of processes running, Malware infection, Norton, McAfee or it could be that you simply need to install more memory. How much do you have installed?

Well I'm not usually this dumb with computers, just the networking and stuff, I'm great with software+hardware. Well it is wireless, but we don't have a laptop anymore because my sister moved out, but yes, it's still wireless.I do the ccleaner, virus, defrag, spyware scans etc.

go to your router from a web browser and enable some type of encryption such as WEP or similar.. This will assure that no one else is using you wireless. I had to do this at my house since I found out that my neighbor was using my connection, It's also a good idea no matter what for liabilty reasons. I could give you the instructions for linksys router. What kind of router do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back