PC neither posting nor giving beep codes

I built a ryzen based system last year and after adding a larger HDD and new(used) PSU, when I turn on my pc the fans come on but nothing else works. I tried all the possible ways recommended on the internet(disconnecting everything, re-seating ram, changing psu etc ) but still the same thing. I thus concluded that maybe it was the mobo so I got a new one and a brand new psu too but after coupling it still the same problem. I don't know what to do.....or is it the cpu cos I did overclock it initially.

Ryzen 3 2200g
2 x 4gb ddr4 2666mhz
Previous mobo-Asrock b450m pro4
Current mobo-Asrock b450m steel legend
psu-Seassonic focus 550w
gpu- Rx 5804gb

Did u flash to the latest bios on the new motherboard? Not all mobos support the apu's from the start. And since you say nothing works, so the pc turns on but you get no POST? Could you be running mainly of the apus graphics instead of the dedicated gpu? Have u tried connecting your monitor directly to the IO?

The problem with a report of "I've done everything" is that you may not have.

To be sure, haul out the mobo manual and have at it from the beginning, which means disconnecting just about everything:
- all power and SATA cables
- keyboard and mouse
- all other USB devices
- monitor
- video card
- RAM
- front panel connections
- remove motherboard from case and confirm that all stand-offs are properly placed

Now check that the cpu is properly seated (not cockeyed)
Check that the CPU is listed as working with this motherboard with this current BIOS
Then remove and reinstall TIM with the heat sink
Then place motherboard on a non-conductive surface
Attach 24 pin power and 4 pin CPU power as per manual

Power up and observe using the 'power pin' short method (a temporary connection of the power pins is the same as the momentary-on switch for power). Remove power supply cord if no on/off switch on PSU.

- make note of any error codes or beeps - it should be RAM error or Video Card error.

- install whatever the error called for and go through another power on iteration. The 'error' should move on to the next component. When it doesn't you have a culprit.

Last ditch, remove coin battery and after checking manual for 'how', clear BIOS. Reinstall battery and boot into settings/BIOS.

If BIOS, work from that.

If no response, then CPU (rarely the case, but could so this time). Bummer.

@Albright - what happened - was it the CPU? I have a similar issue now - motherboard removed from case, only CPU and one stick of RAM, BIOS cleared, new power supply, no POST, no beeps

@anyone - what are the chances that the onboard GPU has gone bad? would this prevent BIOS POST? I did plug in another PCI video card, but that didn't change the situation

Are you getting any 'beep codes' (error report before BIOS appears or POST) or spinning fans or anything?

Last edited:
Just reseated the CPU with new paste, etc - no change. It must be the motherboard or the CPU I guess ...

PSU is getting some power to the motherboard.

Warranty?
Where/when did you buy it?
Can you take motherboard/CPU/HS w/fan/RAM there and get it tested?
Is there a manual arts class at local HS that has a computer repair course?

It's an old machine - I put it together back in 2011. I only use it for movies and TV, so not much power needed. Maybe it has done it's time ... Thanks for the suggestions though - I may see if I can find someone with test facilities.

I had one like it..and the manual arts crowd decided it was a failed voltage regulator chip - not repairable. They were happy to have the 'broken machine' as they needed to hone their troubleshooting skills (hah!!).

Ah, so a happy ending - will try to find a good home for this one too! I might try to find a similar vintage motherboard and keep the old machine going

Back