1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

PC neither posting nor giving beep codes

By Albright ยท 8 replies
Jul 19, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. I built a ryzen based system last year and after adding a larger HDD and new(used) PSU, when I turn on my pc the fans come on but nothing else works. I tried all the possible ways recommended on the internet(disconnecting everything, re-seating ram, changing psu etc ) but still the same thing. I thus concluded that maybe it was the mobo so I got a new one and a brand new psu too but after coupling it still the same problem. I don't know what to do.....or is it the cpu cos I did overclock it initially.

Ryzen 3 2200g
    2 x 4gb ddr4 2666mhz
    Previous mobo-Asrock b450m pro4
    Current mobo-Asrock b450m steel legend
    psu-Seassonic focus 550w
    gpu- Rx 5804gb

2. MattS

MattS TS Evangelist Posts: 575   +146

Wait a second. You added a larger HDD but did you actually install windows on it?

3. Albright

Albright TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes I did

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,111   +1,213

Calls for diagnostic rebuild on desktop. Something like

5. Albright

Thanks for the video.....I have tried everything there but my cpu. Do you feel its the cpu?

6. MattS

MattS TS Evangelist Posts: 575   +146

Did u flash to the latest bios on the new motherboard? Not all mobos support the apu's from the start. And since you say nothing works, so the pc turns on but you get no POST? Could you be running mainly of the apus graphics instead of the dedicated gpu? Have u tried connecting your monitor directly to the IO?

7. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,111   +1,213

The problem with a report of "I've done everything" is that you may not have.

To be sure, haul out the mobo manual and have at it from the beginning, which means disconnecting just about everything:
    - all power and SATA cables
    - keyboard and mouse
    - all other USB devices
    - monitor
    - video card
    - RAM
    - front panel connections
    - remove motherboard from case and confirm that all stand-offs are properly placed

Now check that the cpu is properly seated (not cockeyed)
    Check that the CPU is listed as working with this motherboard with this current BIOS
    Then remove and reinstall TIM with the heat sink
    Then place motherboard on a non-conductive surface
    Attach 24 pin power and 4 pin CPU power as per manual

Power up and observe using the 'power pin' short method (a temporary connection of the power pins is the same as the momentary-on switch for power). Remove power supply cord if no on/off switch on PSU.

- make note of any error codes or beeps - it should be RAM error or Video Card error.

- install whatever the error called for and go through another power on iteration. The 'error' should move on to the next component. When it doesn't you have a culprit.

MattS likes this.
  8. Albright

Still no error codes or beep codes and the only component that hasn't been swapped is the cpu..

9. Cycloid Torus

Last ditch, remove coin battery and after checking manual for 'how', clear BIOS. Reinstall battery and boot into settings/BIOS.

If BIOS, work from that.

If no response, then CPU (rarely the case, but could so this time). Bummer.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...