PC shipments continue downward trend with 11% drop in Q2

Jos

Staff

PC shipments continued their downward trend during the second quarter of the year according to the latest data from two leading market research firms. Specifically, IDC estimated that unit sales dropped 11.4%, while Gartner put the decline at 10.9%. Both blamed the drop on the same reasons we’ve been hearing for a while now: people are opting for touch-based tablets and smartphones rather than PCs.

Gartner says inexpensive tablets are displacing low-end computers in "mature" markets such as the US, while in emerging markets they are also growing fast and at best least causing people to defer the purchase of a PC. IDC seconds that notion, saying consumers can get their Internet fix from inexpensive mobile devices, while also pointing out that the release of Windows 8 has done little to revive interest in desktop computing.

In terms of marketshare per manufacturer, both research firms both put Lenovo at 16.7% globally, which is less than a percentage point more than HP and enough to claim the top spot in the April - June period. The Chinese firm is still outpacing rivals, but growth is slowing down and actually slipped into negative territory this quarter. Dell, Acer and Asus rounded out the top five list and all three continued to see a decline in sales.

When it comes to the US market specifically, HP and Dell are still leading the race, with roughly 25% and 24% share each. Apple is a distant third with ~11.5% market share followed by Lenovo at ~10% and either Toshiba or Acer in fifth, depending on who you ask. Things are not looking good for the latter with the biggest year-on-year shipment decline at over 32% globally and a drop of almost 20% in the US.

Gartner: Preliminary worldwide PC vendor unit shipment estimates fo 2Q13

Company 2Q13 shipped 2Q13 market share 2Q12 shipped 2Q12 market share Growth
Lenovo 12,677,265 16.7% 12,755,068 14.9% -0.6%
HP 12,402,887 16.3% 13,028,822 15.3% -4.8%
Dell 8,984,634 11.8% 9,349,212 11.0% -3.9%
Acer 6,305,000 8.3% 9,743,663 11.4% -35.3%
Asus 4,590,071 6.0% 5,772,043 6.8% -20.5%
Others 31,041,130 40,8 34,675,824 40.6% -10.5%
Total 76,000,986 100% 85,324,591 100% -10.9%

IDC: Top 5 vendors, worldwide PC shipments, second quarter 2013 (preliminary)

Company 2Q13 shipped 2Q13 market share 2Q12 shipped 2Q12 market share Growth
Lenovo 12,619,000 16.7% 12,802,000 15.0% -1.4%
HP 12,378,000 16.4% 13,414,000 15.7% -7.7%
Dell 9,230,000 12.2% 9,633,000 11.3% -4.2%
Acer 6,226,000 8.2% 9,241,000 10.8% -32.6%
Asus 4,590,000 6.1% 5,820,000 6.8% -21.1%
Others 30,589,000 40.4% 34,464,000 40.4% -11.2%
Total 75,632,000 100% 85,374,000 100% -11.4%

Image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Hey, its the truth. There will always be PC Enthusiasts like me but todays Thin Clients (both all in one monitor and mini-units) have i3 + type power and strong GPU performance in something the size of a cracker box or smaller.
The world is changing.

PC's will still be around, just in a different form.

I still recall when many of the old dinosaurs and gamers here all said tablets were a fad...

For the reports, what is the definition of "PC"? Will Windows based tablets be included or no?

I still recall when many of the old dinosaurs and gamers here all said tablets were a fad...
They are a fad, they're not called phones yet.
For the reports, what is the definition of "PC"? Will Windows based tablets be included or no?
Technically anything that is used for personal computing is a PC. Phones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks, and desktops all are used for personal computing. Before long they will have wrist watches out, that will do the same and more as the 80's PC. The fact that you can actually carry it with you everywhere, makes it even more personal.

If Microsoft would just lower the price on tablets and hybrid laptop/tablet to where everyone could buy one then PC sales would soar! So if they just want to be where it is then just have to live with the facts that sales are down and cheaper tablets are being purchased more that runs another OS.

Again Microsoft doesn't think outside the box just think everything is the same as it always has been. Hello wake-up from your dream of Windows everywhere it's the two A's taking over the market share. Big M lost out. But you can make it happen again reduce those prices get the rest on board otherwise nothing going to move.

I think you all should reduce prices like you did in 2012 selling desktops dual and quad for less $400 bucks. Lets make it happen people get these tablets, laptops and desktop out of here. Do whatever it takes to get it done. We can take a loss but let those number of sales climb off the charts..

But this is only a dream... :p

Honestly, by looking at the definition of a PC, I couldnt see why phones, tablets, macs, and computers running linux arent considered PCs. If I'm missing something, point me in the right direction.

Honestly, by looking at the definition of a PC, I couldnt see why phones, tablets, macs, and computers running linux arent considered PCs. If I'm missing something, point me in the right direction.
I agree. The problem is that the word "PC" has become synonymous with machines running some form of windows.

No one takes into account that most people already have a PC at home. Why would PC sales go up if you can just buy a tablet on the run and have your PC at home?

If Microsoft would just lower the price on tablets and hybrid laptop/tablet to where everyone could buy one then PC sales would soar! So if they just want to be where it is then just have to live with the facts that sales are down and cheaper tablets are being purchased more that runs another OS.

Again Microsoft doesn't think outside the box just think everything is the same as it always has been. Hello wake-up from your dream of Windows everywhere it's the two A's taking over the market share. Big M lost out. But you can make it happen again reduce those prices get the rest on board otherwise nothing going to move.

I think you all should reduce prices like you did in 2012 selling desktops dual and quad for less $400 bucks. Lets make it happen people get these tablets, laptops and desktop out of here. Do whatever it takes to get it done. We can take a loss but let those number of sales climb off the charts..

But this is only a dream... :p

Seems like everyone here is poor or homeless...I'll wake you up when you come out of your dream state.

Technically anything that is used for personal computing is a PC. Phones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks, and desktops all are used for personal computing. Before long they will have wrist watches out, that will do the same and more as the 80's PC. The fact that you can actually carry it with you everywhere, makes it even more personal.

Completely true... but I'm guessing what's technically true isn't what IDC thinks is true :p

No one takes into account that most people already have a PC at home. Why would PC sales go up if you can just buy a tablet on the run and have your PC at home?

Very true. My dad has a desktop that shipped in 2006 (Maybe 2005? It shipped with XP but with a free upgrade to Vista. Don't worry, it's running 7 now.), that still performs all web browsing, office and basic game that he needs. I assume there are many cases like this.

Just throwing in my 2 cents. Desktop/Laptop computers are lasting longer with having better hardware inside of them. Most people that look to buy a "PC", try to buy one that will last many years. If a "PC" can continue doing what most consumers want it to do, why would they buy something new? The average consumer will keep using their computer until it ultimately fails on them, then they will spend money to get it fixed versus buying something new. Yes we will have enthusiasts (like myself) that do not buy computers but build their own and constantly looking to "make it better/faster". But from all the articles I have read on this subject, and you can correct me if I am wrong, we are not included on the statistics. I'd like to see stats on computer hardware sales and see if it is on the same decline as "PC" sales.

Spot on! Problem is there is no innovation these days in the software market. Its been small and little steps these days. Not the huge leaps it was some years ago...

They are a fad. That said, you could barely count the number of hula hoops they sold.

So there you have it. Tablets are the "hula hoop" of computers.

That said, you could barely count the number of hula hoops they sold.
Don't dis the Hula Hoop, they only died out because of so few that actually figured out how to use them. lol
I on the other hand could only use them as an artificial halo. I lost my Hula Hoop and I've not had a halo since.

Everyone should have an artificial halo, even Obama has one. (y)
th

Back