PC upgrade advice needed

Piiote

Hey guys,
I'm looking to upgrade one of my pc components. Since I mostly use my pc for gaming, I'm looking for a performance boost for games.

My specs are:

Cpu: i5 4430
Gpu: GTX 970 4gb vram
Mobo: Asus h87 plus
Ram: 2 sticks of 4gb each (can't remember specific model etc.)
Psu: corsair vs550
Monitor: 1080p 27" LG monitor
No ssd, two regular hdds

That's about it. What's bottlenecking my Pc, or rather what should I upgrade to get a significant performance boost.
My budget is around 750$

Last edited:
I propose to wait for coffee lake i5 with a new motherboard and cpu cooler and get a 240GB or bigger SSD. Then I'd aim at 16gb of 2400mhz ram. Your gpu will last a bit longer while your cpu is probably around 80-95% utilized during games.

Used i7-4790K off of ebay or local shouldn't cost more than 200-280$
Then get a 1070.
The combo would net you about 2x if not more FPS in all games while giving you far more overhead on the cpu for multitasking.
Gains with intel have been really lack luster. my old i7-3770k was on par with the i7-7700k, they haven't really come far.
This would net you the most gain vs stepping up to a new platform as you'd need to spend far more money with a new motherboard, ram, cpu.
8gb isn't bad for gaming, should you start doing anything outside of that like streaming you would want to double up on ram at the very least. But for gaming I wouldn't bother.

Used i7-4790K off of ebay or local shouldn't cost more than 200-280$
Then get a 1070.
The combo would net you about 2x if not more FPS in all games while giving you far more overhead on the cpu for multitasking.
Gains with intel have been really lack luster. my old i7-3770k was on par with the i7-7700k, they haven't really come far.
This would net you the most gain vs stepping up to a new platform as you'd need to spend far more money with a new motherboard, ram, cpu.
8gb isn't bad for gaming, should you start doing anything outside of that like streaming you would want to double up on ram at the very least. But for gaming I wouldn't bother.
Thanking you, unless I want a dedicated PUBG game configuration? Max seting

If your looking to upgrade one component, then make it an i7 chip for that boards. the gpu still has life in it.

For gods sake ,girl, get an SSD eg samusng 850/860 evo in there to start off with. then yeah gfx will net the biggest gain for gaming.
Go get a big bag of apples , eat them one by one, How'd you like them apples?
By now Volta s been released, prices on the 10xx cards are dropping and they're nicely affordable.

I recommend you go up to 16gb of ram, then I suggest getting a good rpm sata hard drive or better yet ssd.
If its not too much ask of you, download cpu-z, look at the system tabs in it for memory.
Write it down and bring it back here, once you see my post.
I don't know what model/brand of gtx 970 card you got, but that shouldn't slow you down on that haswell 4430.
Most of todays games prefer a higher clock speed than core counts, so your speed could be a problem to consider.
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.84-en.exe

Back