PC Upgrade Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackIrish

Hey,

You can see my current PC configuration in my signature. Now, I'm planning on upgrading, but I wish to skip the current Intel i7 models and wait for the next 2011 models (I like to sqeeze the last bit of performance before upgrading )

Anyway, do you think that if I upgrade to a Q9550 or Q9400 that I would experience some worthy speedup? I'm using my PC mostly for gaming (1080p) and graphic/web design and office work (meaning I do a lot of multitasking between simple applications in Windows 7). Note that I won't be doing much OC as my mobo doesn't allow it (I can only use SetFSB), and I'm not interested in Audio/Video (multimedia) encoding at all.

So I'm basically asking, will this Q9550 (or Q9400) CPU be close to i7 level of performance for the tasks I need? Because I read i7's are good for audio/video decoding which I don't need...

I think upgrading to a Q9400 or Q9550 is plenty worth it in your case, but I don't think you'll experience a level of performance close to the midstream i7 quads without overclocking. However, imo the majority of quad core processors are still ahead of the game as far as future-proofing goes. Heck, I'm still using my trusty Q6600 and it still does everything I need it to do. I overclock but if you ask me that's just getting more bang for your buck. Plus, the Q9xxx are all 45nm and plenty fast for most applications; can boost multitasking performance significantly.

I don't think upgrading is worth it...they are essentially the same processor, and you don't seem to be stressing it.
On the other hand, if you could get it for a good cheap < $100, then it may possibly be worth it. I personally would just wait though. But hey, i'm on an e4600, and I even gave up on keeping it overclocked.

Isn't sandy bridge mostly orientated for laptops and streamline/efficiency more than a total architectural revision?

it depends on what games you play as well; as some games has started to use multi-threading capabilities, so they can take advantage of more cores. In general use, there are some scenarios which will notice performance improvement. I am roughly of the same view as you are, and few months ago I upgraded from E600 to Q8400 so far it seems I made the right decision, it perform on or about the level of Q6600 not bad investment considering the price. :)

Edit:
E600 = E6600 (typing on this HP notebook's useless keyboard ain't that fun really)

The E6750 is a pretty good CPU. I'm not sure but I don't think you'll see any miraculous improvement in gaming by choosing those quads. However, as HK says, if you get it real cheap then fine. You could look to get a better GPU if you're looking for more gaming power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back