PC version of Battlefield 3 leaks onto torrent sites

Jos

Staff

With just over a week before its official launch in the U.S., DICE’s highly anticipated PC version of Battlefield 3 has reportedly made its way to various torrent sites. Gaming website Dark Side of Gaming says the download is 9.96GB in size and offers a fully playable version of the shooter's single player campaign.

There are no reports of console versions being leaked at this time. Also, those with pirated copies won't be able to access the game's multiplayer portion -- which is the real meat and potatoes of the Battlefield series -- as that requires a valid Origin account. Still, though the effect on sales might be limited, the leak will certainly upset DICE and game developers in general, as it seems it's no longer a question of if a triple A PC title will be leaked but a question of when.

Battlefield 3 is set to launch for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on October 25 in the U.S. and October 28 across Europe. Earlier today, DICE revealed the nine multiplayer maps that will ship with Battlefield 3 at launch. Details and design insights for each of them are available at the official Battlefield blog.

On the PC the game will handle up to 64 players and will take advantage of the latest computer hardware with support for DirectX 11 and 64-bit processors. As such the recommended system specifications are notably high. Be sure to check our Battlefield 3 Beta GPU & CPU Performance Test and get the latest graphics drivers from both AMD and Nvidia.

Permalink to story.

I saw this yesterday. Y'know EA, steamworks games almost never get leaked before launch, maybe you should take some notes from the successful companies if you want Origin to be successful as well.

That aside it isn't worth downloading 10GB to play the single player 8 days before launch. Maybe if it was a month or two before launch I'd be interested, but 8 days? I'll wait.

LOL...this leaking to Torrent sites is becoming a regular event for big release games. You really have to wonder how the hell this happens and could it be a possible attempt by EA to publicize the game. (Which I seriously doubt considering how much they've put into advertising the game and released a demo to boot.)

At any rate, I think it will have very little if any impact. Those that want the game have already pre-ordered, and most players want the multi-player option anyway.

TomSEA said:
LOL...this leaking to Torrent sites is becoming a regular event for big release games. You really have to wonder how the hell this happens and could it be a possible attempt by EA to publicize the game. (Which I seriously doubt considering how much they've put into advertising the game and released a demo to boot.)

At any rate, I think it will have very little if any impact. Those that want the game have already pre-ordered, and most players want the multi-player option anyway.
You mean they released a beta build? I don't ever recall there being a demo, unless I have fallen out of the loop or something.

RH00D said:
TomSEA said:

You mean they released a beta build? I don't ever recall there being a demo, unless I have fallen out of the loop or something.

Splitting hairs over semantics

"Splitting hairs over semantics"

Because "eagle" and "hen" are different words for the same thing, right?

Trying a game before buying and beta testing a game are very different.

If the entire single player of every fps ever made was legal and free for me to play I probably still wouldn't play any of them. A shooter is just a shooter. Wheres diablo 3 single player fully cracked!?

Guest said:
"Splitting hairs over semantics"

Because "eagle" and "hen" are different words for the same thing, right?

Trying a game before buying and beta testing a game are very different.

No, but a 11 month old hen and a 12 month hen are pretty much the same.

How's it going to hurt sales when you start playing it you will get sucked in then you will buy the full version.. It wouldn't surprise me if it has a virus in it LOL NOOBS...

Guest said:
How's it going to hurt sales when you start playing it you will get sucked in then you will buy the full version.. It wouldn't surprise me if it has a virus in it LOL NOOBS...

it wouldn't surprise me if it was some sort of honeypot.

If i was the CEO of EA, I would secretly leak it my self!

It will be pirated any ways for single player .. and no extra stress on EA .. except for getting more popularity out there!

and trying to earn the "Will it play Battlefield 3" slogan on the NET!

They have the GREAT COD MW3 to complete with!

my two cents.

Guest said:
They have the GREAT COD MW3 to complete with!.

*puts on troll veteran medals*

lol really? hows a retexture better than a new engine that is tweaked to work well whit hi end CPU's and GPU's?

The BF3 "beta" was really a demo which contained bugs so they called it a beta. At least that's what it was for the console players. * I'm not aware if PC players actually filed bug reports.

This article is incorrect, there is no playable version of BF3 available, the disk-images of the russian retail version is available but there is no way to install/activate the retail version as no workaround for Origins DRM has been made available.

They should release a partial version of the game for free. Their customer base is going to want to try it then will definitely buy it for the multiplayer. I might download it because I hate waiting even though I prepurchased.

how 64-bit cpu will help in this game? i hear this for the first time.

How does an unreleased game get pirated. Hmmm. Weird. Couldn't be someone from the game industry. I mean that would be preposterous.

Guest said:
how 64-bit cpu will help in this game? i hear this for the first time.

64bit windows can address more than 4GB of ram. The game recommends 4GB on top of the VRAM on your GPU. So if you're not running 64bit then you actually won't meet their recommended requirements.

really? ok for pc users graph cards and speed matter but the bulk of this games sales are going to be console. dice has tried and tried but a couple billion dollars of sales trumps all.

You buy a car you test drive it, you buy a pair of pants , you try them on first. You see calamari for the first time.. you try someone else's, you don't buy a $50 plate then find out it's bad or under cooked and needs to have more done to the preparation for it to be palatable.
I'm not sorry that I plan to DL the game, I would prefer to be able to, like I had been from say 1985-~2000, buy a game that was completed AND was what they, the company, said it was. since 2000 more and more games have been coming to the PC side unfinished, buggy and or 1/2 assed console ports.
I refuse to pay $70 for a AAA title that is designed for a console spec from 10 years ago ( 360 et al.). I refuse to purchase a $70 game that can't even start up because it was so 1/2 assed TDU2.
I refuse to pay $70 for a game that is a POS out of the box and the parent company shuts then company down, therefore not even allowing the afore mentioned company to improve the product ( Homeland).
I refuse to pay $70 for a 3rd game in the series that is shorter, graphically the same with a 50% or more reduction in playability over the original title ( DOW II CR)

But more to the point I refuse to pay $7-0 for a game that requires me to give up my personal privacy and legal rights, just so the producers, or those they chose to sell the info to, can bilk you out of more money.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it has a virus in it LOL NOOBS..."

Trust me there usually isn't a virus in it. The trust with the pirates and their "customers" is a lot higher than EA and THEIR customers. The only thing I have a beef with is that they pirate a game/movie/software, and they(the pirates) get really mad when someone else re-posts the pirates work as their own. I mean come on, they were just doing the same exact thing you're doing.

Anyways if you wanted to play battlefield it would be for the online play. I'm making the switch from COD for that, but I'd still buy MW3 for the story. I like the story.

well, they should say 64-bit OS, not cpu, because the cpu perform the same on 32-bit.

been0 there, saw it, didn't download, but judging by comments there aren't playable version - no one managed to install pirated version yet. This article is inacurate.

Back