PC won't boot up

xtort81

My PC won't start anymore. I was playing a game on my PC and it just shut down...I thought we lost power initially...but all the house lights were still on. I opened up the case and to the touch everything seemed fine. Nothing was hot...just warm. All the fans are working (case fans, CPU fans, power suppy, video card). After the first instance I booted up and got to Windows. The minute I tried to do something it shut down. Now when i try to turn it on...it turns on for about a minute, nothing happens and it shuts down. I can't hear the HD working to boot Windows. I'm not sure if it's overheating or a power supply issue. Is there a way to tell if it's a power supply issue without testing another power supply...I don't have a spare.

I have a Intel i7 processor
Asus motherboard
GTX 460 vid card
Running windows 7-64 bit
8gb of RAM

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your power supply is probably damaged from the power outage. Just because the fans are running, it doesn't mean that the power supply is good. The PS produces many different voltages. If just one is missing, it can cause problems like you describe here

New power supply...no luck

Thanks for the responses. I've replaced my power supply with a brand new one and I'm still running into the same issues. With the new power supply the PC booted up fine and pretty much as soon as I started doing something it shuts down. Then when I try to turn it on again...everything turns on then shuts down a few seconds later. Any suggestions? I'll try again and see if my video card fan is running...on an older PC my video card fan stopped working and would cause the PC to shut down.

ok....so i think it may have been my video card. i unplugged the HDMI cable that was going to my monitor and replaced it with a DVI cable. then unplugged the video card from the MB and plugged it back in. everything is running fine now. PC has been on for a few hours and so far so good. i'll try playing a game later to make sure everything still works. i may have to buy a new case because when i first built the PC, i broke one of the two latches that keep the vid card in place.

I posted this in another forum, but with the HDMI cable i couldn't see the boot up process until the windows login screen. when i replaced it with the DVI cable i could see everything....not sure what that's about.

thanks for everyone's help!!

Back