Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

PC won't cold boot

By Gasakon ยท 6 replies
Sep 26, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Recently I've been experiencing some small issues with my PC. Every time I need to cold boot it (turn it on after it's been off for a while) it goes all the way to the windows splash screen, but then the monitor goes idle, mouse and keyboard won't work, but the PC is still ON. All I have to do to boot is press the reset button and it boots just fine. It also boots fine when I turn it on and goes straight to BIOS and leave it "warming" there for a few seconds and exit, it boots just fine as well. It just won't boot straight to windows when I press the power button. I've already disconnected all cables, cleaned my PC and even bought a new SATA cable for my HD. I've run the "sfc /scannow" using the command prompt and it tells me it's found problems with my OS and some weren't able to be fixed. Sometimes when I boot into windows it gives me a warning message telling that explorer.exe ran into problems with memory address or sth (next time I'll take a screenshot, if it pop up that is). I've read many stuff online and I still don't know's if it's a software or hardware problem. Thanks for the help in advance.
    PS: PC works just fine after I get to windows, no issues whatsoever, just this nagging booting thing.

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 2,900   +601

"sfc /scannow" using the command prompt and it tells me it's found problems with my OS and some weren't able to be fixed
    ??? are you running sfc in safe mode and an admin account?

"warning message telling that explorer.exe ran into problems with memory address "
    ?? good time to run memory diagnostic overnight - use https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6216-memtest86.html

erickmendes likes this.
  3. Gasakon

Gasakon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Running as admin, not in safe mode tho.
    Gonna give it a shot

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  4. Gasakon

This is the message I seldom get when booting into windows.
    https://imgur.com/a/3szrY
    I've tried to repair my O.S. via Safe Mode using many different commands using the prompt and nothing worked.
    Obs.: I'm yet to run MemTest

5. Cycloid Torus

Sounds like a good idea.. best run overnight on continuous...waiting on results.

6. Gasakon

Sorry it took me forever to reply.
    I've finally run memtest and it showed no errors. Though I think I've found the culprit to my problem -- the monitor?!?!?!
    Let me explain: this problem started ever since I moved my rig to a new case, I also bought a new desk and rearranged a lot of things in my room. I always used to turn the monitor off using its physical power button, but I stopped doing so after I've redone my room. One of these days I decided to start turning the monitor off again using the power button and noticed that everytime I turn the PC on first then the monitor, it boots just fine! I did some tests to confirm it by turning the monitor ON first -- or just let it go to stand by after I turn my PC off -- then turn the PC on, that's when the "lockup" would happen in the midst of loading windows, therefore needing to press the reset button to finally boot.
    I don't know why this is happening, I've got a FreeSync monitor, so maybe the chip if causing some kind of conflict with some component in my PC???

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. Cycloid Torus

This is a tough one. Consider the possibility that having the monitor 'on' energizes the connection to the GPU, which means the GPU then tries to define the graphics subsystem when the computer is started - and that is somehow out of range for the computer to digest on startup. So, yes, in some way the monitor could be impacting boot condition.

Perhaps someone else in the forum will be more familiar with this kind of situation.

If it were mine, I would start be checking to make sure that my connections from monitor via GPU to system were firm. Then I would use DDU ( https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/) to uninstall GPU driver. After that, I would download and install fresh driver from GPU maker. If you have any special software managing GPU fan, etc - consider removing that too.

Should that not resolve the issue, I would review all my 'power' settings to be sure they suit my system.

ps Did you run memtest86 overnight?