PCI not PCIe for older systems

kameron

I am working on a windows xp system as a secondary PC for gaming and am in need of something a bit stronger than the board integrated graphics for my purposes. I need something that runs at least directx 9 with decent proficiency and any suggestions of a specific model or the like would make the process of digging through the countless PCIe cards that always get mixed into my searches. before anyone tells me to replace the system or update the OS I shall state that the entire reason I have it is for OS compatibility with older games.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...07709 600007813 600007816 601296705 600007817

That link narrows the search on Newegg to PCI cards. There isn't many and some are pricey for what they are. You can look at ebay and possibly local craigslist/Letgo and see if you can find a second hand.

The newest one from Newegg is a 9400 GT but it's reviews are not that solid.

One thing you can do is post the rest of your specs (MB model # especially) and that might help us pair one better for your needs.

Hello again delrey, the computer is the same one that you helped me with the cpu for: dell dimension 2400 so I'll just copy and paste my description from there
current processor: Intel celeron 2.2 GHz socket 478
bios version: A02
power supply: 200w I think, I honestly have no idea
current hard drive: 2x 80gb IDE PATA

though I will likely be upgrading the CPU to a 3.06 GHz unit relatively soon and I'll have max ram of 2GB very soon

I looked at the newegg listings and they all say 64 bit, will a 32 bit system be able to run them? if not I will check with ebay

Should be fine with 32 bit. Just to go Nvidia's or AMD's site to make sure they have XP drivers available for it once you pick one. The 9400GT for example has XP drivers available from Nvidia direct.

Just as a comment for if anyone else finds this thread or has similar issues; if you need a GPU with 512MB vram, all the ones I've seen that do mention power requirements on newegg say to use with at least a 250W power supply

Back